Post your Fully Loop injuries.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by rojomas, Sep 13, 2011.

1. Will Goes Boing

Will Goes Boing New Member

Don't know if this counts as an injury, but I banged up my ankle and shin today at the loop. Not sure which section this is but it was heavily rutted and the front wheel caught in a really deep one, I was pretty much going over the bars and I just jumped off. My right leg got tangled up with the bike somehow and that's how it got all banged up.

I can see why people frequently get injured there, some of those downhills CAN give you a pretty nasty wreck if you go down.

2. SCVKickstand

SCVKickstand New Member

Reading all this I have to count myself lucky. Only injury I had on the loop was my wife throwing her bike at me in frustration.

3. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

Chain snapped on my inaugural ride after I built my first FS. Had to walk several miles back to car. Few rides after went OTB on a rut down the short steep hill to the train tracks. I consider myself very lucky.

4. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    Crashed at the lake when i had long hair.

[youtube]zTi_Zpl9MFk&feature=player_embedded#![/youtube]

5. Pooch

Pooch New Member

A couple years ago I took the center trail after coming out of the tunnels. My girlfriend was in front of me and when she reached the roots going across the trail, she stopped. I was a little too close to her so I had to do a quick stop and when I did, I fell over into the creek. On the way down, I caught sight of a large slab of cement that I'm pretty sure would have hit me in the head. I reached out to keep myself from hitting it and snapped my wrist. Worse yet was then my head went totally under water and for a while couldn't get my un-hurt arm free enough to get my head from out of the water.

The first ride I did after the wrist healed was again on the loop. I took a couple jumps pretty well and got a little over-confident. Hit a small jump, went OTB and ended up rashing my elbow and knees pretty bad.

Funny thing about breaking my wrist though was when my girlriend told and Orthopedist that she works with that I had broken my wrist. She didn't tell him where we rode and his first comment was that we must have been on the loop as most of his bike injury patients come from the loop.

6. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Parts Guy Infiniti
    A few years ago when I would normally ride the loop twice a week from my house, I was hit by a car.
    I live about two miles from the railroad tracks at Bastanchury. Heading up Gilbert around 8:30PM a truck ran through a red light (more of a California stop) making a right turn. I was going up hill going less than 10mph. He had slowed down for the turn and was going less than 10mph. But when you assume that someone sees you and will stop, you may just end up on their hood and then out in the street like I did. Luckily my Crank Brothers pedals detached upon impact, however I still land straddling my bike. Immediately I jumped up as if nothing had happened, something I seem to do whenever I fall. Still processing what had just happened, I somehow had the sense to get off the street and onto the sidewalk. At this point the driver is out of his car and for reasons I can't explain, the first words out of my mouth were "That was exciting". It wasn't really.
    I thank God that there were no other cars heading up Gilbert seconds after I landed in the street. The incident could have turned out a lot worse. I was in relatively good shape. Some nice road rash and a sprained wrist. My bike frame was bent, but everything else was salvageable. On the psychological side, it has taken a bigger toll on me. I took a long time to ride the loop again. Now I only ride it maybe once a month, and I drive to the courthouse rather than ride from my house. I am also very scared of cars and ride the loop very cautiously.

7. brown chicken brown cow

brown chicken brown cow Member

broken heart...sorry, No, that was at Roscoes...

8. noweyout

noweyout Can't kick dirt habit!!

@Fearless Fly HOLY SH!Tiii :lol: *knocks on wood*

9. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.
    First time on the loop. Went OTB, level 2 separation of the AC in my right shoulder. FG1, "dude, I'm sorry you got injured but even more sorry I didn't see it." My son,, "Dad you got some serious hang time". Would have been nice of evoracer to say, "hey, there's a cut off right here and we can head back to the cars." but NOOOOO> did the rest of the loop. This was the hill right after the park.

Fast forward a year and I'm going down the hill behind the golf course parking lot when my front tire washes out. Level 1 separation of the AC left shoulder. FG1 " Dude, all I was a mushroom cloud of dust" Maybe I shouldn't ride with FG1.

10. kyle M

kyle M Dirty Drunx

drinking and riding
    i got this scratch last night!! omg it hurts so bad!!!
    [​IMG]

11. Evoracer

Evoracer "That Guy"

Mgr
    Sorry Mongo! At that time I didn't know any of the many cutoffs for The Loop. Only after I started riding with Takman did I figure where all the shortcuts were... lol

12. Mongo

Mongo Chewyeti "MongOHNO!"

measurement tech.

that's ok.. but the least you could have done was get it on video. That would have been awesome:bang:

13. Garrett

Garrett Active Member

I'm starting to think that this is some kind of bizarre ongoing STR joke. Theres no way the Loop could cause so many injuries, it's the easiest 11 mile loop around! I thought that was the point, to get new riders more comfortable with the sport and in shape while riding an easy loop through the city? But there are more injuries here (from experienced riders!) than any other place I can think of. And no I have not given blood at the loop yet, just sharing an observation:?:

14. IDY-Craig

IDY-Craig Lake Arrowhead

Animals
    [vimeo]13224295[/vimeo]

15. DM Rides

DM Rides Bruise Bunny

Oh my, Elvia-- was that when you were riding solo? I had no idea you got a concussion! You definitely ARE a bada$$ to be out there riding just like it never happened! (next time we'll ride together!)

16. Sailor Ripley

Sailor Ripley New Member

Mortgage Loan Originator
    October 1990: Lacerated ego. The climb out on the far side of the loop (jut past where Blair Witch is located), I got attacked by Mike McMahon (a roadie, no less) and couldn't match it. I was torn, and have yet to recover from that horrid and pitiful injury.

17. ocdingbat

ocdingbat Member

sparky
    I have eaten it at the loop way more times than any other place!! Last year there was wooden ramp right behind the overflow dam and i decided to go for it. My bike endo'd in mid air so i thought i was clear of my bike and was gonna land on my back past my bike but as we both landed flat i felt and saw my bike come up 3 feet off the ground. My ankle was tangled in the frame!! My ankle was swollen for a month! For all i know i fractured it! Today i rode the extra credit soon after turning right at the fire station. Right past the cul de sac u can stay on the wide trail or ride up to the left and weave in and around the trees, then at the end as your coming down there is a wooden 'ladder' followed by a deep hole and a sharp left at the drain ditch. I wet otb at the hole and slammed my noggin on the tree and slammed my shoulder on the ground. Ive never rung my bell so hard on a bike before, yet its probably my slowest crash ever. I ended up breaking my helmet.

18. PNY rider

PNY rider New Member

9/25/11.........Just had my 1st major crash halfway thru the loop...........front tire turned left in a rut and flipped me over the handle bars.......ended up landing on my right hip, arm, ribs, shoulder, and head......cracked my helmet......my bike was in better condition than I was..........knocked the wind out of me and could not see for the 1st few minutes after impact.........after about 30 minutes of gathering myself.....was able to ride to Coyote Hills Park......and my cousin who was with me rode back to the car to come back to pick me up because I could ride no longer.......ended up in the ER.....with a concussion and a badly bruised right side.....luckily no broken bones.......i have been on pain killers the whole week.........this is the worst crash I have had so far..........but I can't wait to get back riding and back to the fully loop in about 3 to 4 weeks.........just with a bit more caution this time!!!

19. so cal shaggy

so cal shaggy New Member

Food purchaser
    Had my first spill at the Fullerton loop while riding with some buddies after work, I fell on the second little hill right behind the golf course right after dropping in from the street. I was trying to show off for the novice rider in our group by catching the most air off the hill unfortunately I was more focused on the takeoff than the landing #-oand to top it off I had my camera filming it. [video=youtube;wADaXHDyiKA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wADaXHDyiKA&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Here is the result of the fall
    [​IMG]

20. Jonathan13

Jonathan13 New Member

Five years ago, I had my worst spill on the downhill parallel to Robert Ward preserve that ends at Euclid. I jumped one of the railroad tie water breaks and as I landed the tires slipped in loose gravel and slid out from under me. I landed with on my back with one leg behind me. I cracked my helmet in the back, and had road rash on one leg from knee to ankle, and on my back from butt to shoulder blade. I couldn't ride out because the rear wheel was taco'd so bad it locked against the frame. No phone and was riding alone, so I humped my bike to a friend's house on Parks Road to get cleaned up. I had to get him to scrub the dirt and sand out of my back with a knuckle brush and betadine. Good times.