Post your Fully Loop injuries.

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by rojomas, Sep 13, 2011.

1. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Okay, so I'm reading a post on how yet another person got injured on the Fullerton Loop. I don't know what makes the "Loop" so dangerous but as so many of us know, you can never under estimate the Loop. Maybe it's built on ancient Indian burial grounds or maybe it's on negative energy ley lines or something, who knows? All we know is that people get really jacked up disproportionately to the difficulty of the trail.
    Someone mentioned on having a scoreboard of riders vs the Loop. I don't know how to do that but I thought why not just start a list of injuries accrued by riders who have been hurt over the years on the Fullerton Loop.

I'll start:
    I almost lost an eye going off a small jump. When I went off the jump it was no big deal (After all I've gone off much bigger jumps and I used to race BMX). But when I landed my bike came to a complete stop and I went OTB so quickly that I didn't even have time to put my hands out. I smashed my face into the ground, shattering my Scott glasses into pieces. One of the arms to the glasses broke into a sharp point and left a bruise across my eye that was there for weeks and a scar on my face for almost a year. I'm so lucky it didn't the arm didn't jab me in the eye, I for sure would of lost it. I went back to the location where I crashed and I could find nothing that would caused me to stop like that.

Also, a friend of mine while riding by the railroad tracks just barely rubbed up against a palm tree and got slice down to the bone on his arm and needed stitches.

Sorry, there are no pictures. Both these injuries happened before I had a camera phone.

2. kyle M

kyle M Dirty Drunx

drinking and riding
    [​IMG]

Do bike injuries count?

3. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

How the heck do you break a frame on the Fully Loop?

4. kyle M

kyle M Dirty Drunx

drinking and riding
    haha. the first jump i ever hit on the fisher and it snapped...#-o
    its cool though now i bought this and im tearin shit up!
    [​IMG]
    :bang:

5. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Broken collar bone :(

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Same here.

7. guero

guero iFroth

no broken bones for me there, but i ate shit pretty hard on a thursday night group ride there. it was at the section before you ride along rosecrans. where you can stay high and go down the really fast hill to where you almost g-out at the bottom, then roll over the cement embankment, then back down to the dirt...or you can veer right, and hit the switchback to the small dip g-out. i chose to stay high and ride along the top area, as did a few other riders. all was well until i saw this guy start to lose control at the bottom of the steep hill. he started fish tailing, i had plenty of room between us, but he lost it, and swerved to his right and crashed right in front of me. i tried to bunny hop his bike, but my foot or wheel got caught up on his bike and down i went. skinned my forearm and elbow pretty good.

i was also there when pakiha broke his collar bone, and when keith b. broke his arm after smacking a tree on that last s/t area before you dump out on to harbor blvd.

8. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX

Yup, I remember that night as well.

9. Mountain Jim

Mountain Jim New Member

Retired; Now Part-time at REI Tustin
    I've had two good ones on The Loop. The first was in 2006 coming down the long downhill before you cross the street and head to Laguna Lake. Just as I got to the bottom my bike suddenly threw me OTB and I face planted. No time to even try to break my fall. No broken bones but smashed my face up good and still have a good scar on my upper lip. My buddy and I found that I hit a hole that had been intentionally dug and covered up with loose dirt. They eventually caught the guy as he had been vandalizing the trail for some time.
    The other was a ridiculous tip over just past the water tanks before you start up the steep hill. I was trying to open my camelbak valve and just had one hand on my bars. I hit a root and fell over. I could not clip out and pinned my left leg between my bike and a small tree stump. Finished my ride but found out later I had broken my left tibia.

10. ezzyride

ezzyride New Member

Research
    Crashed one Sunday morning on the downhill ended up with a concusion, stitches and bruised ribs. The loop has it out even for slow riders.

11. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    No injuries (yet) on the Loop. But I must say I have seen more riders down and medics attending to them than anywhere I have ridden. I believe lauterborn has broken his frame riding the loop as well.

12. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    Broke my right wrist in April going down a ridiculously tiny hill.

13. VT Johnny

VT Johnny New Member

Auto Body Damage Estimator
    Was going fast towards the sewer tunnel, when my front tire got caught in a hole i underestimated and flew right over my bike. Good thing i was padded or it would have been worse.

14. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I will never ride there! EVER!

15. BartMan

BartMan New Member

Couple of weeks ago, four of us rode Fully Loop. About halfway, one of my buddies' chain tensioner's roller came off. As we were fixing it, another buddy discovered that he had thorns on both his tires so he suffered a double flat. We only had two spare tubes at hand, and one broke its valve tip while being pumped.
    A little further down the trail, as we were pedaling uphill, my friend who earlier broke his chain guide, snapped the derailleur completely. Emergency repair on the trail converted his UZZI into a 'fixie'. Haha!
    Nobody got injured, though.

[​IMG]

16. int3r

int3r New Member

4 crashes here at the loop. Two were bad.
    Going down from extra credit by water tank, at the end, I went to the right instead of straight, hit the little brick wall, otb, landed on that wall on my chin. No broken bone, but I was knocked out for a good 5 minutes or so, with torn chin.

Another bad crash was on Jan 13 this yr, str nite ride, ended up with broken collar bone.

The loop deserves more respect from us.

17. Heyitsdave

Heyitsdave Member

My only time OTB, coming down from Panorama Park on the side right along Bastanchury, front tire in a new crevice created by runoff from some rain we had a few days before. Slow mo, landed on my feet, dismount would have scored maybe a 9.5 from the judges, seat hit my back, bars hit my ankles. I looked around to make sure no one saw the ridiculous stunt I had just pulled and I rode home with sore ankles and my tail between my legs.:lol:

18. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
    I really feel left out, so I had to think really hard to remember this one.

The first time I tried the Fully Loop, I bonked after only about 2 miles and had to have a friend come and pick me up. A week later, I was determined to finish the loop no matter what. After the fire house on Rosecrans, I had to walk most of the hills. Between the park benches and Gilbert Street is an ant hill. I decided to brave it and peddle up, but quickly ran out of juice and fell on my back. I literally blacked out from exhaustion for a good 2 minutes, laying on the trail. I had never passed out before in my life. It was a near death experience.

19. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    I was going down the fence line after the left turn then........blank! All I remember was not knowing where i was and heard some voices. Next thing I know I was in ambulance and then ER. That night was a complete blur, so I end up with a concussion and a HUGH hematoma that's still there after 2 years.

I've been telling everyone.....Fully has sent more people to ER than any other trail!

20. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

After breaking my collar bone there and knowing ill have to be off the bike for 2 to 3 months I really dont want to ride there again