Possible Kitty Sighting on Borrego (7/21)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by BikeThePlanet, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

Watch out for the crazy homeless guy who tries to pet the big kitties in Whiting and gets bit. What was that 2 years ago?

2. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I was on a roll seeing Deer every ride in Santiago Oaks until my last couple of rides.

A couple times I got really close to them before I even saw them. Solo early morning rides, mostly, but one was a mid day ride with my wife on the weekend. Rode with a couple other riders there this morning and the other day, didn't see any Deer. But 4 Deer crossed the trail near the top of Chutes about 50 yards in front of me as I was coming down a couple weeks ago one morning. My first thought was "awesome!", followed quickly by "Why are they running from that side of the trail to the other side???"

I love seeing animals, experiencing nature, but I'd like to maintain my place on the food chain as well...

3. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

I climbed Dreaded for the first time earlier this year and stopped at the bench. I didn't know that's where it was, although I had read about what happened years ago--but that was years before I was really into mountain biking.

I didn't know Mark or the woman who survived the later attack, which was an incredible story in itself, but I took a break and sat on the bench and looked at the view of Orange County and the surrounding landscape and it made me think what an amazing tribute that bench is. That spot is brilliant for a tribute to a mountain biker--it's in Whiting Ranch, one of the favorite places to ride and, from what I remember reading it was one of his, at the top of Dreaded Hill--a point which you can't feel anything other than a great sense of accomplishment, and it overlooks not only Orange County but the trailhead of STT--another one of the most beloved trails in OC. I couldn't imagine a better location for a tribute to someone who loved the sport as much as he is said to have. I don't recall for sure, but I believe the inscription was something like "He died doing what he loved". As cyclists, most of us knowingly accept that risk every time we get on our bikes.

4. MojoCP

MojoCP New Member

Arguing
    All I recall is that my dad and I had biked through that same path mere hours prior to it happening. When we heard about it on the news, it hit pretty close to home.

Did they ever conclude one way or the other as to whether it was a heart attack and scavenging situation vs. an actual attack? There was a debate because he didn't have the typical head/neck injuries.

5. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    Mark, there may be lingering doubt of attack vs scavenging

Anne Hjelle flat out attack...luckily she had a friend like Debi Nicholls, we can all only ever hope to have friends like that.

Fairly detailed account here: (Not vouching for accuracy)
    http://tchester.org/sgm/lists/lion_attacks_ca.html

6. profnachos

profnachos Member

software engineer
  7. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Dang - reading that report is sobering... Guess I won't be dragging just me and my little ripper alone - there or Edison. He would be the 'weaker' one. Need to take at least one more for a fighting chance.

Guess my days of riding Whiting solo are over... :(

8. bvader

bvader Long Live The Gorn!

Tech Guy
    You have a waaaaaaaaayyyyy better chance of getting killed by a Drunk driver on they way there or back than being attacked.

Also remember, Anne was *not* riding solo...there are a lot of opinions/risks/rewards on solo or not...just understand them.

9. a13x

a13x New Member

I see that group of deer almost every other evening in Whiting. Buck with antlers and few chicks and lil fellas (deer). Over on the "Oakley" side of Whiting, above that parking lot heading to the highwire tower.

Sorry don't know all the correct Whiting names. Kind of new to riding the area.

10. jcampbell

jcampbell going Gods speed since 75

Believer, Husband and Father.
    Home Page:
    Mark Reynolds and Anne Hjelle.