Poison Friggin Oak

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by skwerts, Nov 12, 2010.

1. kentonn

kentonn Rage against the Mods

I am usually pretty good about avoiding PO or at the very least, cleaning up when I know that I may have possibly come into contact with it. Unfortunately I missed it this time and ended up with a rash on the back of my legs, on my arms, and a couple small spots on my face. I was able to catch it early enough to keep it from becoming real bad. As soon as I realized that I may be breaking out, I used Zanfel which seems to shorten the life of the rash. Anyway, still sucks a55...

2. Silver

Silver New Member

I think I read the same article at some point :D

Whatever it is, it allows me to go out for dinner and have a few hours without thinking about clawing my leg down to the bone.

3. surftime

surftime New Member

self employed
    i got a small case of it recently - i think it was in wier canyon but cant be sure. But its spread out red bumps - not a super bad rash like i remember in the past. Its been two weeks and its about gone but now i am much more careful while riding and after cleaning up

4. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Sensitivity to it varies a lot. I on occasion get it but I literally have to be immersed in the stuff. I once went over the side on a cliff at Chantry and was stuck on the side standing in it knee deep covered in sweat. The stuff was hard to see as I thought I was standing in deadfall and didn't realize it was PO. I couldn't even climb out because the stuff was so deep and lose. I finally got up with the help of a guy who was an experienced mountain climber. PO will appear to be dead but it's just semi-dormant so if you do come into contact with it, you'll get it the same as if it was in full bloom.

5. Cigalert

Cigalert New Member

I've been riding for in OC 20 years and just got my first outbreak of PO. This stuff is a major PITA.

A riding buddy showed up on Tues with bandages all over his legs to keep from scratching. Said he got PO. I think it was my chuckling at his misfortune that made me contract PO cause I don't think I've been exposed to it for over a week.

Time to keep a spray bottle of degreaser and steel wool in the shower. I'm about to get a belt sander with 60 grit and start over. No skin sounds like a better option right about now.

6. dirtydoug

dirtydoug New Member

Govt
    The only good thing about PO is the intense pleasure from a super hot shower. The hotter the better and scratch it under the stream of water. Damn, that's nice. It seems to take off the itch for a while, too.

7. culturesponge

culturesponge keep on keeping on

poison oak + sunburn - on the 1st day of a mtn biking holiday :-(

i think high factor suncream helps reduce poison oak + not riding where the trial is very overgrown

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  8. Fearless Fly

Fearless Fly anachronistic and impulsi

Mechanical Engineer
    Home Page:
    I am still saying SPF 100 keeps it at bay and I have no idea why.

9. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    P Ooak in the central coast is like a ground cover. It is mostly small can also larger patches can be found. It grows on the sunny side and shady side up there. Once you get it 2% cortisone, buy lots.

10. culturesponge

culturesponge keep on keeping on

gloopy neutrogena ultra-dry SPF 85 seems to help reduce PO - it must block skin pores or creates a barrier?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2012
  11. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Hey it has just snowed 2" since 5pm. Snow day on the flight center is almost certain. So can you get poison oak- poison ivy when its covered in snow. I was going to rent a bike or do a hike

12. H2oChick

H2oChick Active Member

Seems like I get a good dose of PO once a year and miniscule outbreaks throughout the year.
    Question on the hot water: it feels great and does give relief for a while but doesn't it also open the pores (and break the blisters) and lead to spreading?
    I've been washing the areas 2-3 times a day with cool water and Dawn detergent in an effort to dry out the area in addition
    to using Caladryl and zinc ointment (seems to help dry out the area overnight).

13. Silver

Silver New Member

The hot water is only for later-when the rash has settled in and you're sure all the oil is off your skin. Once the oil is gone, it's my understanding that you don't have to worry about open pores and the blisters don't actually have any of the oil in them.

14. sebaney

sebaney New Member

phone guy