photos from old photo gallery

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by LBmtb, Jul 3, 2010.

1. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Our old photo gallery which was powered by the Photopost Pro software package is incompatible with our new forum software and is thus broken. Although they do have an updated version that would have been compatible with our current forum software, I decided not to pay for and upgrade it for a couple reasons.

1) the new albums feature built into the forum software here is much improved
    2) photopost pro was giving some of our users headaches with upload issues

So . . . are the old photos lost? Nope! :) I wrote a custom import script that essentially moves photos from Photopost Pro to vBulletin's albums. So if you uploaded any photos to the old photo gallery, they should soon all be in your albums now. Click here to see your albums.

The script is still processing as I type this btw, so don't take my head off if you don't see your photos in there just yet.

Just a bit of info on the albums. It's tightly integrated with attachments. So...
    * if you attach a bunch of photos into an RR and later want to add them to one or more of your albums, simply go to the album and click on 'Upload Pictures'. this will give you the option to either upload new photos or add photos you have attached in threads.
    * same goes the other way around. if you upload photos to your albums and then want to attach them in a thread, you can easily do that too.

Attached Files:

2. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    I almost cried when I saw my gallery missing. George, I had lots of albums but as of now, only two are showing. Will the others appear?[-o-]

3. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Don't worry, no photos are lost. If something didn't make it over in the import script I can always rerun it for one person or check to see why it didn't get imported.

I'm seeing 10 albums for you. Were there other ones? (see attachment)

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/members/dirtmistress-albums.html

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2010
  4. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Yea, I had many more! Not sure because I never counted but everything from Switzerland to Chilao. They go all the way back to 2007.

5. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    Heya George --

pmortuary helped me out a bit just now, but because images are now "tightly integrated with attachments" as you mention above, things aren't working for me as I would expect them to. I was able to attach an image to a thread using his instructions regarding attachments, but it puts the paperclip + Attached Images print into the thread and also the gray box around it... Not good.

Seems like this is what I want -- to upload first to my gallery, and then attach to threads (without having to go through Manage Attachments), but I can't do this!

There is no 'Upload Pictures' link in my albums. There is only now a large Create New Album button there. If I go into one of my albums, I then get three small buttons: Add to Group; Edit Album; and, Edit Pictures, however clicking the most obvious one here -- Edit Pictures -- while it does take me to a listing of my pics in the current album, it does not display any sort of upload button in there.

What am I missing here?

TIA,

- shud

6. davidB

davidB Active Member

7. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
    ^^ ??

davidB -- You suggesting I use photobucket? Why would I do that?