Partially separated shoulder?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by art23rockpile, Sep 8, 2008.

1. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Sorry to hear this news Art.Heal up quick and don't get on the bike to soon. I rode Orange BMX last night after 5 weeks off the bike. Man It really hurt, but not enough to keep me from doing another lap.:lol:

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Bummer, Art. I feel for you about the surfing too. Take time to heal, so you don't turn a month into six months. See you out there soon.

3. lil__missy

lil__missy Fighting "The Man"

Animal Lover
    Dude you got to take it easy! No point in risking re-injury. I am still healing from torn ligaments in the shoulder. I went two weeks in sling, five weeks no riding and on my first ride after 5 weeks I just road up a fire road and down it to be easy. Then a couple days later I did trail. I took it easy though, no teeter totter, no log ride, I did do little jumps, but not the big ones. Just so I wouldn't risk re-injury.

My crash was very similar to yours except I went off a drop low tire pressure in front and landed and bike just went out from underneath me. Hit head first, then shoulder then road rash down whole left side. I later found I broke my helmet. Took a huge chunk right out of it.

That was the funnest part wasn't it? Riding back down. I was riding by myself and still had to do the rest of the trail. I hated life when I hit the rock garden. I also had to call my b/f to come and put my bike back in my truck for me cause I don't use a rack just throw in back of truck. Talk about embarrassing, "baby can you come put my bike in my truck?"

All in all man you do need to rest it and possibly see a Dr.

Hope you heal quickly!

4. Wicked Smot

Wicked Smot New Member

If you ride, just don't crash...and good luck pulling that off at Mammoth. In order to have a grade 3 separation, you have to actually tear 2 sets of ligaments. While grade 3's can be either surgical or non-surgical depending on some different factors, the fact remains that another injury could increase the separation to a grade 4 or 5 which are ALWAYS surgical. Grades 4 and 5 mean that the end of the clavicle is essentially floating free and acting like a blunt spear to the adjacent muscles/nerves/vascular structures.

5. lardbutt

lardbutt I may be old, but I'm fat

AC joint

As the owner of a grade 3 separation myself from about 7 years ago, I can tell you that it will hurt for a few weeks while things "heal" up and then you should be back to most of your activities. Even surfing. You might be in a little pain while you paddle out but what the heck.
    As far as MTBing is concerned, the good news is that you aren't very likely to break that particular collar bone next time you fall. Considering that it isn't attached to anything anymore! #-o The bad news is that it will hurt like a #$@#$#@ when you fall and might go ahead and poke itself all the way out of your skin this time. :steppie:

And of course you'll get to sport your new Quasimoto bump. But hey, the chicks will dig it, so you got that goin' for ya!

All kidding aside, you aren't going to do more damage to it, unless you fall on it. So rest up until the pain will let you get back to your activities.

Sorry for the not-so-good news, but it is what it is. It shouldn't affect you much after a couple weeks.

LB

6. quazi

quazi New Member

Investment Banker
    Quasimoto bump

I resemble that remark

7. thephat

thephat Active Member

I have sepparated both shoulders a few times and broke a collar bone last fall. I def ride more in controle (a little slower) now and crash a lot less. My shoulders don't really hurt, but the strength and mobility are still comming back slowly. I still feel like I can't let either shoulder hit the ground at all.

Here's hoping you feel better soon, and have a full recovery.