Partially separated shoulder?

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by art23rockpile, Sep 8, 2008.

1. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    This is one of those threads we all hope that we never have to post. However, MTBing does have it's risks, and as I recall Kanga saying (i'm paraphrasing) "There are two kinds of MTBers: those who have crashed hard, and those who are going to". I've had my share of crashes; this time I crashed hard.

Riding down the Summit Trail at Quaking Aspens, I was about 20 yards from a stopping point, and I think my pedal caught on a pointed rock. All I know is that I flew off the side of my bike -at speed- and landed on my left shoulder and my head. The thing that really sucked was: A) first day of a three day trip, and B) i've ridden over a thousand rocks like the one I hit without a thought. I'd like to thank Dean and Scott for staying back with me while I HABed/rode slowly back to the campground.

With the aid of painkillers (ibuprophen and darvocet) I was able to ride Nelson Camp trail yesterday okay, but it probably wasn't a good idea. The injury seems to be a partially separated shoulder. Anybody who's had experience with this, please PM me or post a reply. I'm hoping to be able to ride Mammoth for closing weekend.

2. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

heal up as tempting as it is to buck up and continue riding you should see a doctor and stay off the bike. it's one of the most difficult thing for me to do

3. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Can't help from the "experience" side but I am sending you many healing vibes!!! We hope you will be able to make it to Mammoth for closing weekend. ;)

4. TrojanInsomniac

TrojanInsomniac Active Member

DPT student
    Like what foo said, it's best to stay off the bike until you see an orthopedist.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. Hope the injury doesn't turn out to be that serious!

5. b-40

b-40 Giggity, Giggity, Goo....

helicopter hydraulic flight controls
    that sucks be very very very careful.

i had a 3" separation of my collarbone from my shoulder and when i went in to get it looked at, the doctor freaked out.......he told me not to move my arm at all and couldn't belive that i still had mobility in my arm and hand, he told my that this is a common injury in football and he has had players come in with as little as 1/2" of separation and they had lost all mobility in there hand/arm, so i guess i was really lucky and you are too, so just be carefull
    heal up.

oh yeah i had to have a screw put in to hold the collarbone down while it healed and could not raise my arm higher than my chest untill it was removed after it was all healed. it's 100% now

6. JoeTruth

JoeTruth Active Member

Yes, part of the risk of riding. It's not a matter of if, it's only a matter of when and how hard. I'm sorry about your shoulder, Art. I hope it's not too bad.
    Feel better and adhere to Foo's advise re: seeing a doctor. nothing wrong with being safe.

7. nordfarm

nordfarm New Member

electrician,mechanic
    downhill from there

I seperated my shoulder years ago riding motocross. The first time all that happened was torn muscle. Years went by and I was fine, all except over head movement. A few years later i got sucked up in a wave at wedge in newport and smashed to the sand, chipping all the bone/s away from my rotator, leaving me with 2'' of extra muscle and ligaments, and a shoulder that now dislocates. I stay very active on this injury, sometimes its pops out 4 or 5 times a day, when im sleeping. My doctor told me very little pressures is needed to dislocate now, somewhere around 2 to 5 lbs of pressure in any direction. Meaning i had to find a solution. Since i was working in a moto shop at the time i had seen, then soon purchased an EVS Shoulder brace. At first i was sceptacle whether some neoprene straps could help. But then about a year and a half ago i was going in between 35 and 40mph, got lazy hit a jump and landed wrong, went off a cliff sailed straight into a tree growing out the side. when i hit clipped in it sent me flipping landing on every part of my body including my shoulder. Brushed myself off, climbed back up the side of the cliff, went back to the car. I think shoulder braces like this one really do the trick. :bang:

8. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Darn Grasshopper Art....

Just when you thought it was safe to go back into the water....

Shoulders are one of those complex joints that you needs to take car of and not mess around with... it can become a habitual injury if not taken care of and healed properly. Unless some miracle happens, I think I'd forget about Mammoth (don't torture yourself) and have it looked at by a doctor who can advise you the proper medical proceedures to follow.... as I said... something not to mess with.

So sorry to hear this.... but know how you feel. I finally had shoulder surgery 10 years ago for a separated AC joint. It now floats like Dan Marino's :lol:

Hey, this will give you time to write that book you've always wanted to....

9. art23rockpile

Just now, i've returned from the doctor. It's a "Grade 3" separation; the clavicle (colarbone) is separated from the joint by over 3/8". The doc says that nothing can be done, and nothing will really make it better or worse... it just needs to heal (10-12 weeks). He said riding is okay if I can handle the pain, which will diminish over time. :-k

10. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    Damn, that sucks art...10-12 weeks of pain's going to be rough, but it's better that 10-12 off the bike entirely. i'm sure we can find some way to make that pain more bearable for you so you can still ride mammoth next weekend!
    I think someone posted in that thread about bringing acupuncture kit up there...not the pain relief i had in mind, but if it works...

11. G-MONEY

G-MONEY International Playboy

Infotainment
    Ouch! #-o I feel for you brother. Heal up quick!

12. quazi

quazi New Member

Investment Banker
    Bummer...you'll never be the same. I blew out mine in '81 extreme skiing. I have to lift weights to keep it in. Lots shoulder and chest. Hasn't popped out in over two years. The worst place to dislocate is when your surfing outside on a big day and just trying to get back to shore is a challenge.

13. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Very sorry to hear this Art. I know that after my shoulder separation 4 years ago nearly every time I hit the ground I re-injure it and can't ride for a month.

Dean

14. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Oh well...

You're now going to have the famous "bump" on the top of your shoulder.... and there's not much you can do about it. At least you can still ride.... just don't fall on it!!! Yeah, right! :-s

15. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

People have no commitment today.....either seperate it or don't!

Just kidding dude, hope you heal up.

16. mtbski

mtbski New Member

Sanitation worker
    Art, I am sorry to hear about this bad news. Take it easy for a few weeks and heal up. Mammoth would be great but may not be the best idea right now. Heal up!!!

17. sdyeti

sdyeti New Member

Dang Art! Sorry to hear...heal up soon

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (healing vibes)

If it helps, I've had a sore shoulder for a month now and have no idea what's up.

18. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    Sorry to hear that Art, I had a grade 3 separation 2 years ago. It was a month before I got back on a bike to ride around the street and about 6-7 wks before I could really do anything on a bike. What you don't want to hear is this, REST. Shoulder injuries are pretty serious, take the time to let it heal properly or else you'll have problems the rest of your life. To this day, I still get some pain when my arm is raised into a certain postion. I've got about 90% of it back and I didn't get any surgery done. Orthopedist said I could but it wouldn't do much in my case, it would be more for asthetics.

19. Dusty

Dusty New Member

Med Staff Whatever
    Bummer to hear about your spill. Take it easy and heal up. Maybe you can do some chick rides with us.

20. art23rockpile

Thanks for the kind words. :)

Oddly enough, the activity i'll have to forego will be surfing, as paddling requires much overhead arm movement. This really sucks too, as the Summer surf has been minimal and there's a good swell due this week! :(

So, i'll ride LCWP after a few days and see how it feels. Call me stupid or addicted, but I plan to ride Mammoth with the ff and armour on Closing Weekend (God willing).
    The good Doc said i'll be okay, just to stay away from the stunts/jumps. :lol: