Palo Commado/ Cheeseboro/Sheep Corral (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by digitaldouble, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Cheeseboro recovers (sort of) or Mother Nature's Revenge

Today I hiked into Cheeseboro and checked out the trail from Shepherd's Flat to Palo Comado. The rain produced erosion as expected. The trail manglers proved their stupidity in not accounting for water.

The Great Agoura Race is tomorrow (Saturday). Rain too. A better name will be mudeo. The trail work which was supposed to make it safe for runners has done the opposite. Before the trail was worked on the eroded bits had been worn down to smooth edges. Today it's all fresh steep cuts. Runners will have to watch where they step and also balance on slippery mud and fight for room.

Anyway - on with the pictures.

The first major dip. Nice erosion and a slide of topsoil where the stupid machine pilots undercut the slope. :mad:

SAM_0439_Converted.JPG
    SAM_0440_Converted.JPG

Around the corner an "easy" climb.

SAM_0442_Converted.JPG

The rocks refuse to be buried!

SAM_0443_Converted.JPG

Up we go. Does it look easier?

SAM_0444_Converted.JPG

SAM_0445_Converted.JPG

SAM_0446_Converted.JPG

Oooh, slippery and mushy.

SAM_0448_Converted.JPG

The left side has washed away - thanks trail manglers.

SAM_0450_Converted.JPG

What does this mean? It means lots of silt has washed over the side = erosion from above.

SAM_0451_Converted.JPG

?

SAM_0452_Converted.JPG

SAM_0453_Converted.JPG

I'm thinking of watching the race. Muddy runners, picking their way for the best footing ....

SAM_0413_Converted.JPG

2. Steve C

Steve C Team Sausages 2012

Special projects manager
    Fail. lol

Should be fun to watch

3. dirtmistress

dirtmistress AKA Roadiemistress

retired
    Thanks so much for the pictures Doug. Should this be sent to CORBA?
    FYI-isn't Cheseboro a NATIONAL park? Like Yosemite?

4. gregg

gregg New Member

Its a State Park, like Sycamore Cyn

5. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Yes. I'll contact CORBA. (It's National Park Land)

6. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Yes it's the Park service, no it is not a national park or state park. SMMNRA, Santa Monica Mtns Natl Recreation Area. I wrote my check to the NPS, Atlanta, Ga, back when that trail cost me 26 bucks to ride, so I guess I paid for the first neuter of this trail. Sorry about that. It was quite a fun trail back in the day. Back then the rain ruts were so deep they could swallow you up over your head. That is why there are two trails to sheep corral which was also the end of the park, unless you had 26 bucks (8>

7. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Different Levels of National Lands

National park or national forest; park ranger or forest ranger... Is there a difference between these often confused names?

The answer is an emphatic yes. Although many visitors are not aware of it, national parks and national forests have very different purposes; together they provide us all with a wide spectrum of uses.

National parks emphasize strict preservation of pristine areas. They focus on protecting natural and historic features plus light-on-the-land recreation. The ultimate goal is to preserve resources "unimpaired for future generations." Park rangers work for the National Park Service (NPS) under the Department of the Interior.

National forests, on the other hand, emphasize not only resource preservation, but other kinds of use as well. Under this concept of "multiple use", national forests are managed to provide Americans with a wide variety of services and commodities, including lumber, cattle grazing, mineral products and recreation with and without vehicles. The national forests are managed by forest rangers with the US Forest Service (USFS) under the Department of Agriculture.

Because they have different purposes, adjoining national parks and national forests may need to have very different rules. For example, national parks usually forbid hunting, while forests usually allow it. Dogs can be taken on national forest trails, but not those in national parks. National forests may provide trails for motorcycles; national parks do not.

Both agencies have designated wilderness. In these areas both agencies strive for maximum protection of natural landscapes.

National Recreation Area: Areas with this designation are managed by different federal agencies, most of which operate within the Department of the Interior or the Department of Agriculture. Some national recreation areas are under the National Park Service (Interior), one under the Bureau of Land Management (Interior), and others are managed by the U.S. Forest Service (Agriculture).

National Monument: A National Monument in the United States is a protected area that is similar to a National Park except that the President of the United States can quickly declare an area of the United States to be a National Monument without the approval of Congress. National monuments receive less funding and afford fewer protections to wildlife than national parks. However, areas within and extending beyond national parks, monuments, and national forests can be part of wilderness areas, which have an even greater degree of protection than a national park would alone, although wilderness areas managed by the United States Forest Service and Bureau of Land Management often allow hunting.

National monuments can be managed by one of several federal agencies: the National Park Service, United States Forest Service, United States Fish and Wildlife Service, or Bureau of Land Management.

The power to grant national monuments comes from the Antiquities Act of 1906. President Theodore Roosevelt used the act to declare Devils Tower in Wyoming as the first national monument. He thought Congress was moving too slowly and it would be ruined by the time they made it a national park.

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) is an agency within the United States Department of the Interior which administers America's public lands, totaling approximately 253 million acres (1,023,855 km2) or one-eighth of the landmass of the country.[1] BLM also manages 700 million acres (2,832,800 km2) of subsurface mineral estate underlying federal, state and private lands. Most public lands are located in western states, including Alaska. With approximately 10,000 permanent employees and close to 2,000 seasonal employees, this works out to over 21,000 acres (85 km2) per employee. Its budget is $960,000,000 for 2010 ($3.79 per surface acre, $9.38 per hectare).[2]

The BLM's stated mission is to sustain the health, diversity and productivity of the public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.

Google is my friend! The Santa Monica's are a National Recreation Area.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011
  8. weaksauce

weaksauce New Member

FF
    i laugh to read about people complaining about ruining the "natural" trails of the cheese. theres nothing natural about it, those ruts that were filled in are not all nat-u-ral, unless u call years of horses, bikes, and foot traffic natural. i remember a time when the cheese was great place to ride and enjoy the outdoors, when mostly singletrack existed, not the tangled web of ruts it has turned into. now its a freeway and unfortunately it gets a lot of traffic, and mostly from people who do not respect the trails... i.e. riding when wet, skidding when dry, and dont get me started on the horses...and i find that its novice riders/hikers that do the most disrespecting. I can point to a couple recent RR that show people riding when wet...but i wont go there. anyways, i am all for leaving a trail be, but in this instance does it really matter...the trails back there were "ruined" along time ago. RIP cheese.

9. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    That's too general a classification.

Cheeseboro, Satwiwa, etc are patrolled by NPS Rangers.
    Point Mugu, Malibu Creek, etc. are patrolled by State Park Rangers.
    Gillette Ranch, and others are patrolled by rangers from the Mountains Recreation and Conservancy Authority.

Different rangers and different rules for each area, such as closures during Fire Watches.

10. da big hills

daily night grind
    They were all cattle trails back in the day when the park first started. Up in China Flat where there was a bunkhouse, corral, and pond. Gaspipe was quite the drop when the place was still private, very airworthy, and droping the front wheel down the staircase portion was wicked. Dead Cow was also a heck of a lot of fun when it was a cattle trail. It all was wiped away years ago by that short blade baby dozer and 10,000 bikes.

11. da big hills

daily night grind
    They moved the run to Paramount Ranch, so all the dozer damage was for naught