Paging Rattlesnake Cheaters

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chopper, Jan 14, 2014.

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Thanks for your hard work and effort Chopper.....those that build trails or actually do the trail work understand what it takes.

2. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    Is anyone going to put some dirt in front of the bigger two rocks on the left so people can get air in this section? I mean somebody went and did a lot of work putting them there, it would be a shame not to use them.

3. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    :lol: I was thinking the same thing. Riders that take the P line won't be surprised by rocks, but by getting a little air.

4. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Thanks for your hard work, Chopper.

Have you tried burying the rocks more than halfway into the ground and then packing the dirt around them? That way it would actually take hand tools to remove them. Plus, loose rocks are not only easy to roll or throw off the trail, they are something of a hazard if stepped on or rolled over with tires. I'd also suggest working with the park biologist to create "restoration" areas, which might help the average visitor make sense of the work you're doing.

5. antifret

antifret Member

^^^ Good idea. Since the enviro weirdos won't let us build wooden jumps we should just start "building" rock ones.

6. kioti

kioti Active Member

I don't understand the question.
    Just so nobody gets the wrong idea, I'm with Chopper on this. I like both fire roads and single track, but get bummed seeing single track turn into fire roads. It's a big problem and hard finding a solution to, especially in dry areas like this with so many trail users.

7. russell

russell Member

Software Company
    Sympathize with Chopper. If you want to see trails that were once single track with bumps and turns but is now 8 feet wide, straight, and flat try riding the Jedi trail at Hulda Crooks in Loma Linda… or most of the trails there for that matter.

8. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

This sums it up perfectly. You defined what you think the trail is and you think it is okay to alter the side of the trail because you don't think people should ride there. I finally road Rattlesnake yesterday for the first time in a long time. Chopper, when you said the "trail maintenance" was done to preserve the trail because of erosion I believed you. Now that I saw the trail and what you call maintenance I have a different view. Your maintenance was done for one reason - to prevent people who are not as advanced as you are from enjoying the trail. A properly built P line would help preserve your part of the trail and would benefit everyone. If people want to disagree with me that is fine, but please state whether or not you have actually ridden this trail and have seen the P line maintenance. I felt differently about this before I saw the section of the trail. And I don't care what the trail looked like 20 years ago, it really isn't relevant.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2014
  9. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

We don't need any more singletrack destruction just to make you feel better about yourself. In real life there are obstacles that you must overcome, unlike a video game where you can enter in a cheat code and go god-mode for the instant win. Why beginners insist on riding stuff that's way beyond their skill level is beyond me. You're right, UR2KLOS, they can't enjoy it. But the next time you or anyone else gets down a trail and are filled with rage because you can't clean it, try this logic on for size; If a trail isn't fun, then STOP DOING IT! Don't go all deranged boyfriend, if I can't have her no one can, and screw up some perfectly good singletrack. Instead, come back on the forums and create a post saying something like, "I've tried trail X and trail Y. X is too easy and Y is too hard, so what trail should I ride next?"

10. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    ^^^ Perfect!!^^^ Amazing how some people just have no respect for the trails or the people that maintain them.

11. UR2KLOS

UR2KLOS Senior Member

I realize generalizations are not fair or accurate, but it is interesting how STR has newbie rides where they encourage new people, but the rest of the time they would rather all the non-expert riders would go away. You just can't see things the way a non-expert would and you make all sorts of negative assumptions about their feelings and intentions. Small compromises would makes things easier on everyone.

12. von

von Member

Tax Auditor
    I think some people forget that Chopper doesn't even RIDE that section because he has a HT.

When someone doesn't ride something but insists on maintaining it for the sake of others..... They deserve a pat on the back, a beer, a doobbie, a cookie but not criticism for doing so.

my 2 cents

13. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I enjoy trails that are too difficult for me to ride by walking my bike down them. I tell myself the next time I come back I'll ride down it... but... I end up walking it again.

Personally, I don't think P-Lines are created by those who simply can't ride a section. There are those people who can and have ridden it, but look/create an easier/quicker way down.

Who knows, maybe the P-Line culprits are Stravassholes trying to KOM but can't do it with all them rocks. Hahaha.

14. xtremeMTB

xtremeMTB Member

What's stopping a HT from riding rattlesnake? I've seen people bomb down rockit faster on a HT then some n00bs on a FS. I've also seen full DH bikes at whiting ranch which still makes me scratch my head at the posers. That's the kind of skills of bikers we are faced with today as MTB gets more popular and mainstream everyday. You can buy expensive a$$ bikes but you cannot buy Skillz

15. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Well you are right about one thing. I haven't ridden the entire tech section in about 2 years, but I don't think it's due to the hard tail. I think is more just the shrinking of the huevos which sometime accompanies advancing age.

Which brings up up a good point. There is a lot to enjoy about that trail even if you have to walk a little.

16. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    I like to pretend I'm doing Red Bull rampage at the Fullerton Loop with my Stink-E. Then some dude in a beach cruiser passes me on the downhill...

17. CalEpic

CalEpic member

I believe to be fair, Chopper is not altering the trail as you state, he is restoring it to it's previous and legitimate condition. We'll have to agree to disagree on the need for a "P" line. Rattlesnake is not a beginner trail. It has always been singletrack that required intermediate to advanced skills to ride all sections. The historical condition of this trail is relevant. That is the draw to this trail. It is my belief that those whose skills are still developing need to get off their bike and walk sections that are outside their skill set. There is no shame in this.

I believe a relevant analogy is whether it makes more sense for a teacher to instruct their class at the level of the lowest performing student or does it make more sense to teach at a high level and help all students to gain the skills necessary.

Yes, I have ridden the trail. (sometimes on a hard tail 29er single speed)

18. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

i just got back from riding the trail and I completely disagree with you. I think Chopper did a fantastic job and I hope we get a little rain, so some vegetation can start to reclaim the swathe that the trail has become.

I am am baffled that you think a trail should be widened so riders of every ability can easily navigate the trail. That flys in the face of what I think makes riding mountain bikes so much fun and that is the challenge of constantly trying to improve. Also, not thinking what a trail used to look like 20 years ago is not relevant...speaks volumes.

The first time I rode Fruita, CO I was assaulted with "Rules for Keeping Singletrack Single". It was posted in bike shops, in my guidebook and at all the trail heads. I thought it was a little insulting...almost condescending until I got on the trails. The trails were miles of beautiful 16 inch wide ribbons of dirt......and I finally understood. One of the primary rules was if you can't negotiate a section of trail....you walk it. Maybe this doesn't sit well with the "everyone gets a participation trophy" generation....but it certainly impacts the trails.

Will El Moro ever become like Fruita? I sincerely doubt that is possible. But with that said, I'm thankful for people like Chopper that work hard to keep El Moro a special place to ride.

19. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Federal Investigator
    Next time I'm there and walking my downhill bike where the P line used to be... I will think of you Chopper.

Trail maintenance is an important part of mountain biking, and a lot of riders, me included, don't take the time out to give back to the community and environment.

Clearly, there's no malicious intent on Chopper's part. He's not trying to hurt other riders, and it's not like riders can't go there. There's no shame in walking certain portions of trail.

Regarding injuries in the previous posts, we all know serious injuries can happen on any trail regardless of how technical or skilled the rider is. They are called accidents for a reason. If everyone is to share partial blame, I feel very little of it falls on the shoulders of the person putting in the time to repair/preserve the natural state of the trail.

I think if some of us actually picked up a shovel from time to time, we'd share a similar perspective. Keep fighting the good fight, and ride safe everyone.

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Is there a sign making the trail level?

I am just saying people get in over their head and sometime just want to get off the trail, sometimes because there friends/group thought they could do it. Some people are just trying to find a fast way through a section so the A hole bombing down the trail doesn't get all pissed that someone is in their way, and god forbid they be walking a section they can't clear.

If a p line is causing trail damage to the main trail I get the need to eliminate them, if not I don't get the issue. Unless you trying to keep you Stavashole KOM and the p line let someone go faster than you why the beef. Is it dumbing down the trail? Not really your harder line is still there.