P90x-Cross training that's worked for me

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ehansen007, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    I have been going to PT for several months to deal with some shoulder problems. Crashed snowboarding under chair 23 a Mammoth in early '09 and a complete lack of upper body exercise exacerbated the problem. Anyway, I spoke with the lady at PT and she said it was a good program, and that my primary Orthopedic/Sports Medicine doctor is a big fan of the program. I was toying with the idea of the program and committed to the idea after hearing their recommendations.

2. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

I think it's has more to do with the athletes working towards progress in their own specific area than any danger with the actual P90X program. Kinda like pro bike racers, some will take the elevator instead of stairs because taking the stairs could affect their performance on the bike.

Off-season it would probably be worthwhile, as long as it doesn't exacerbate any lingering injuries...

3. jbh65

jbh65 Member

well Jerry Stackhouse was out of the NBA for a year and did P90x and made a comeback this year. I don't think I would call him or Brett Favre average Joe's.

4. jbh65

jbh65 Member

"The P90X system sure looks like a winner for the average Joe but I wonder how many athletes who are already at the next level use it? :?:"

Well here are just few of the average joe's that can call themselves p90 grads:
    1. Emmitt Smith
    2. Ray Lewis
      David Akers
    3. Donovan McNabb
    4. Brian Westbrook
    5. Kelly Slater
    6. Barry Zito
    7. Kenny Smith
    8. Baron Davis
    9. Brett Favre
    10. Ray Allen
    11. John Salley
    12. Brock Huard

5. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    My point exactly. To say it is ONLY for the average Joe tells me you know nothing about the program.

6. jonathantc08

jonathantc08 New Member

Student and part time personal trainer.
    I am an A.C.E. and NASM certified trainer with 2 years experience under my belt and I'm also an amateur cage fighter. I have personally never used p90x but from what I've looked into about the program its a very functional training program.

The key is nutrition and periodization.
    and I would say its at least 80% nutrition. your body is a machine thats fueled by calories and the less discretionary calories you take in (high glycemic foods, saturated fats, and excess sodium) and the more wholesome foods you consume the better off your training program is going to be.

good luck with your program and if you want any advice just pm me ( goes for anyone on str)

p.s. since p90x is similar to the functional training of a fighter I know what your feeling... my mma fighting has made my riding drastically improve (balance / reaction / muscle endurance / and core strength) minus the dead brain cells but i got a bunch of em :bang:

7. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    I'm back on it for another round and I still ride twice a week. So I guess it depends on you fitness level.

8. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

What equipment do you need?

Resistance Bands? (any in particular?)
    Dumbells? What sizes?
    What else?

9. Drop D

Drop D New Member

Un-Employed
    I'm about to start INSANITY WORKOUT.. 2 of my co-workers been on it for a little over a week.. they claim an inch to 2 was lost.

10. Saosin

Saosin Member

Respiratory Therapist
    You need, at the minimum, ajustable dumbells of some sort or bands (Beachbody sells these, but there are better ones out there), yoga mat and blocks, chair, pull up bar ( ideally one that is 1ft above your arms when reaching up). Highly recommend push up bars, takes the strain off your wrist.

11. jbh65

jbh65 Member

I use the door way pull up bar, & an over head pull up bar that I have bolted into the garage joyces. Outside of the one arm push ups the pull ups are the toughest things for me.

12. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    Can somone put this onto my psp so I can take it with me while I am gona over the summer for work

13. SeanC

SeanC Active Member

just curious, what do you do after the 90 days?

14. jbh65

jbh65 Member

taking 2 weeks off and then starting another 90 days. I will modify the next round. Less plyo & kenpo. More CORE X.

15. zioncoming79

a business bank SVP
    I went back to the gym and began to incorporate a few P90X moves into my traditional lifting program. 90 days after that(right now), i'm back on P90X.

16. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

Go to Hawaii.

17. zioncoming79

a business bank SVP
    CoreX is the only one that gets me for some reason.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

18. guero

guero iFroth

my plan exactly! im starting round 2 on monday. i modified a bit towards the end. kenpo & legs/back got very boring, in fact on 'cardio days' i am going to do after work mt. bike rides or jogs instead.

19. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Thumb through the rest of this thread. I recently posted a question about the requirement of a pull up bar. I want one but really don't have a good way of installing one in our place and don't want to risk the damage of the door way one. There are bands you can buy in place of the pull up bar. Also think others said hand weights of 5, 10, 15, and 20 should be all you need.

20. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I use the pull up bar that was posted earlier. It works great and doesn't mess up my door frame at all, and I'm a bigger guy.

I picked up a thirty pound weight set at Target. It works, I suggest different weight dumbells for easier transition.

I'm on day 22, so this week is recovery for me. I've been getting one to two rides in a week. I'm doing the "doubles" program, so week five I'll start cardio in the morning. I'm not going to do the cardio dvd, I'm just going to do intervals on the stationary bike.

Worst Tony Horton moment is during Ab ripper x. Right after the heels to the heavens move he does this lame march matching each word to his steps " AB-RIPPER-X" It's kinda creepy.

I've lost over 12 pounds so far, and this is actually the best shape I've been in since I was a teenager. Here's pictures from day 1 (black shorts) and day 22. The change is subtle, but I can't wait to see what the next 68 days does.

Attached Files: