P90x-Cross training that's worked for me

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by ehansen007, Apr 17, 2010.

1. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Yeah that's what I am worried about. I spend a lot of time redoing the door moldings in our place. I will not be happy if it were to get ripped off. And my wife would be even less happy - with me. :) So far it sounds like the straps are the safer option unless there is a pull up bar that will not destroy the door moldings.

2. TREE

TREE New Member

My copy of P90X should be arriving tomorrow........ gearing up mentally to start it on 6/1

3. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I have the straps and the pull up bar. My judgement is this the straps are the way to go. The Plyrometrics were the most difficult for me

4. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    Congrats!! I just finished round one and will start round two next week! Once you commit, it is addictive! But prepared to be more sore than you've been in your life the first two weeks!

Keep pushing play!

5. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Does anyone have a favorite (or most annoying) Tony Horton saying?
    Mine is "opps, I think I ripped my pants".

And is it just me, or does Tony have an affinity for Drea (the airialist) in the videos?

6. chupacabra

chupacabra New Member

^^^^

"they're working hard, I know you are" in the most annoying squeaky voice.

7. jbh65

jbh65 Member

finished day 2 of week 9 for me. Its been the very best workout platform that I have done. 18.5lbs lost so far and significantly stronger, leaner, & better fit then I was 9 weeks ago.

184 push ups yesterday compared to 90 on the first day. I will continue to do p90x but will modify slightly due to bad knee's.

8. guero

guero iFroth

finished up round 1 of lean almost two weeks ago. am starting round 2 sometime this week.

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

We need photos!!!

10. ODB

ODB Team Sting-Ray

Having difficulty

Anyone find that they just don't have the energy to ride much early on in P90X? Two days after my second round of Plyometrics, I could barely eke out a Whiting/Luge loop. Lungs are willing, but my legs just feel wasted.

I may be ditching Plyo anyway, cuz all the impact is effing with my lower back and my surgically repaired hip. (I know: I need to "think like a cat" more.) :)

Yoga X is just ridiculous; my dog may be getting that as a chew toy soon.

Oh yeah, my favorite Horton line so far: "Tip of the day: Don't smash your face; let someone else do that."

11. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    For me Yoga is the hardest and certainly the most humbling but I found the more I stuck it out the better I was at it and the better I felt (particularly my spine) afterwards. I was a yoga skeptic but believe it is a critical part of the program.

I had to back off of Plyo for a couple of weeks as I tweaked a knee and then a calf. But it has made my climbing so much better.

Tony has a lot of corny sayings but that is what I like about the program. A hour with Tony goes by much faster than an hour at the gym.

12. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    I'm starting when I get back from Cozumel.....Jun 7th starts P90X hell....lol

13. jbh65

jbh65 Member

I love when he asks what's soup are you stirring up and the one cat answers "a pot of trouble soup" and Horton answers " I don't like it when people on here are funnier then me"

I agree with dfioc that an hour of TH and P90x is significantly better then anytime at the gym. Its a monster workout for sure

14. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I have been thinking about this. Can you ride while doing it or are you wiped out? Also, no pull up bar, so what are these bands that you speak of?

Last edited by a moderator: May 25, 2010
  15. OTHRIDER

OTHRIDER Active Member

Machinist
    Disclaimer: I have not used P90X and I don't know anyone who has. This is just a side note....

This weekend, my daughter was home from college. On Saturday night she (D II water polo) had over four friends. The other girl plays D II basketball. One of the boys plays D I soccer and the other plays D I baseball. The third boy is an LA County Lifeguard. A P90X commercial was on the TV and if as on cue, all of them began to comment how "their college trainers/coaches/bosses told them to NOT use the system". That got my attention.

The main complaint was the amount of nagging shoulder & knee injuries. Nothing major but who wants a team member limping, not kicking, can't egg beater, throwing 70% etc. Some of you had mentioned "dead legs" and so did they, as well as "dead arms".

As we talked it became obvious that each sport has its very "own" set of exercises designed to mainly strengthen what was needed in each individual sport.

The P90X system sure looks like a winner for the average Joe but I wonder how many athletes who are already at the next level use it? :?:

16. Saosin

Saosin Member

Respiratory Therapist
    I am on week 3 of P90x "classic" and i feel better than ever. Just the stength and endurance gain alone has improved my riding and handling abilities, especially on long demanding rides. Before this program i never fully appreciated the idea of stetching before and after riding or surfing, now i do.

I did crossfit for 8months at CrossFit marina in HB and that was awesome to, but comparing the 2 fitness programs i feel strength was a priority in Crossfit and prevention and muscle health(stretching, yoga etc..) was an after thought. I really like how P90x buts an emphasis on muscle health (stretching pre/post, yoga, Stretch X etc)

Good luck to all of those about to start. If you have a garage i highly suggest you buy or build a pull up bar. Oh and get push up stands. Good luck!!!

17. dfioc

dfioc Quack Attack!

Project Manager
    Online you can find lots of examples of pro athletes (football, baseball, soccer) that use P90X as part of their offseason workout programs. The science is sound and basic. Resistance, cardio, yoga, diet.

I don't have a pull-up bar either. I use resistance bands which work quite well. Plus they are portable and easy to take on the road when I travel.

18. oldschoolpl510

oldschoolpl510 Member

Parts Guy Infiniti
    I'm looking forward to starting after Whistler. I did attempt the first workout on an Monday. I upper body was completely sore until Thursday. I am not looking forward to starting after Whistler.

19. A-NON-A

A-NON-A New Member

Territory Marketing Manager
    I think I maybe starting up that day as well. If I do I'll let you know.

20. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    <----ave Joe
    I agree....if you are on a team for a school or pro....you should follow the training advice from the teams trainers....their training is specifically designed for that/those particular sports.....P90X is a basic get in shape training video for the ave Joe...not "athletes"....