Over the Hump MTB Race Series 2011

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

You mean the open SS, right? I didn't see a women's SS.

2. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    Just a bit of fair warning on the rub downs...I substitute oil with a mixture of Kimchi and Soju(courtesy of my wife), so if you have sensitive skin this may not be for you.

Dino, your milky epidermis may not be able to handle this manly concoction if I recall correctly :wave:

3. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    Back at Sport 2 for me this year and hoping to improve my times enough to earn a few mugs!

4. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    So awesome! I just looked at the RSVP list and there are now 33 confirmed as Yes!

Gonna be a fun year me thinks

5. 1x1clyde

1x1clyde Inspired by SSer's

Sales and marketing
    Steve and I will be there representing The Path so make sure you stop by the tent and say "hey!"....I will be ducking out for a little bit to race the Open SS class, cannot wait!

6. dacaboose

dacaboose Nuclear Powered

Grad Student
    Just Registered

I just registered for tomorrow (Men's Begin I). Looking forward to it. I'll make sure to stop by the STR tent and add to the cooler's selection.:bang:

7. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    grrrrrrrrrrrr. Maybe I'll try getting my butt kicked by the boys once.

8. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    In all the excitement, I signed up ... and will be there to have my ass handed to me ... but I'll still have a smile on face and love every minute!

But now - do I go bleed the brakes on the FS or fix the flat on the HT :-k

9. grimix

grimix New Member

Can I show up with my AM bike lacking a bottle holder and a huge camelback in case I need a sip of water? I'll suck in my beer gut and try to appear confident. The vibe seemed all about fun, for the beginners classes... and I don't want to stop drinking beer every night and wearing lycra till I see if I like racing or not.

10. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    ^ I think I've seen you there before ;)

11. grimix

grimix New Member

Oh good I won't stand out then.

12. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I was just wondering...I see LOTS' of "thanks" by Mtnbikerfred, but don't see his name on the list saying he's racing...why is that? Tell you what Fred, Mikey (Fullerton Bikes) and I will sponsor your entry fee for tomorrow! ARE YOU IN?.....

13. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

Brownie. I told Freddy I would cover one. But I think he is all talk. Fred has more single speed miles than you have bikes. Plus he has that bike down to 20 pounds! Let's go fredddddddie!

14. mmcverry

mmcverry New Member

Website Developer
    Does Over the Hump provide medical insurance?

According to their website at http://overthehumpseries.com/race-info/f-a-q-s/

However I was reading their liability waiver and found this

Assumption of Risks: I am aware of the potential natural or unnatural hazards and that there is no medical insurance for this event. As an express condition of being permitted to participate in this event, I represent that I have observed races of the type I now seek to participate in and have had the opportunity to inspect and am fully aware of the race course, racing surfaces, access roads, trail markings, barriers or lack thereof, lighting or lack thereof and weather conditions. Whether or not I have exercised the foregoing opportunity, I further understand and accept that each of the foregoing conditions, as well as the contestants, participants and spectators pose a danger to me. I know, fully appreciate, and understand the scope, nature and extent of the risks involved in bicycle racing.

So what's the deal? As a guy with low-level medical coverage, I'd like to know what sort of risk I'm putting myself in before the race...

Aww shucks. I'm racing anyways. Just curious.

15. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    WOW...That's a lot of miles! See Fred, Mike has you covered for a race, I'll donate a race entry fee, that's TWO races where all you have to do is show up and ride! You do like to ride don't you?...(or maybe you can borrow some pom-poms from Dino and just watch EVERYONE ELSE HAVING FUN!)

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I think it has more to do with OTH having a blanket policy to CYA. This fee is factored into your registration costs. It is more to protect them against you, than the other way around.

At least that is what I find with other events

17. heith

heith Member

management
    ready?

18. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    I just updated the FAQ page to be clearer about our insurance, as is with all events, medical insurance is not included. Liability and event operation insurance per racer is included.

Now reads: Does insurance cost extra? No, it's included. Your race fee covers liability insurance, and racing. It's easy, and a great value! (Note: our insurance is not your medical insurance, make sure you're properly covered to prepare for potential injury...mountain biking is a potentially dangerous sport).

Thanks...good question.

19. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    What class should you race in

Notably there were some class questions from the first race. We've done our best to sift through the results, but want to ask racers to do the right class this week, before we have to "help them" find their class next week.

Here's our official statement on classes, help us help you. Let people know! Week 3 it won't be an option...

In reviewing Class Finishing times from May 24, 2011 it’s time to take a look at your time, and ask if you are in the appropriate class.
    It’s fair to say that the first race surprised you at how well you did, the mud changed the results, etc. However now there are no surprises or excuses.we have identified approximately 40-50 riders we believe should move from Sport to Super Sport or Beginner to Sport.

• your Sport time was 54 minutes or below (you would have finished tight with Super Sport Racers)
    • your Beginner time was 40 minutes or below
    • you keep 9 races out of 12, for the series, so better to move this week than be moved next week.
    • fast racers change your class at the Check-in table tomorrow
    You are responsible to change your class at the Check-In Table tomorrow. Just come tell us you’re moving up a class. If we have another finish like last week in the wrong classes, we the Race Directors will enforce changes the following week. Thanks for your help keeing Over the Hump fun for all levels of racers.
    Please observe the guiding principle of Over the Hump – Have Fun! …..Our interpretation is: challenge yourself, finish better than you started, and play fair. –Thank you!

See you tomorrow.

20. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    Nominate Oakley Jupiter Award Recipient

Jupiter award.jpg
    It's time to get nominating those OTHer's who most inspire you. The MVP (MVIinspirational) will be awarded the honor of being the First Oakley Jupiter Award recipient

It’s your job to nominate, and we’ll announce the inaugural Oakley Jupiter Award Winner after the 1st half of the season at Over the Hump Race #6 on June 28, 2011.
    Tell us the OTHer’s name and story. To submit your nomination to [email protected]

Here's a link to give you more information on the award.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.