Over the Hump MTB Race Series 2011

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by denmother, Feb 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Swore I'd attempt a race this year, so I'm definitely in for a couple. Will try to make that May 24 first event. If not, I'll at least be out to watch.

2. SamKT

SamKT Member

Computer Geek
    Going to make at least 3 of the races. Re-arranging work travel schedule might be more difficult this year than last.

3. zman

zman WTF ?

Im gonna be under the Fullerton Bike tent [​IMG]

4. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    I'll be there May 24th (along with most of the others, there's a few Tuesday nights I'll have to work late, but only 2 or 3 during the series). Still not sure if the new class additions include female too. :-k

Dino, you have to race at least 1 of them! You've got the bike, you've got the skill, and it'd be mad bragging rights when you beat all our times. ;)

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Kimmy: If you miss 2 or 3 races, can you still take home a series title?
    Just wondering.

Competitors: Do you plan on racing in the same class? Bumping up a class?

Any Lurker's plan on racing? :?:
    Get the awkwardness (of knowing no one) out of your system now.
    Don't wait until the season finale to say hello!
    Say something!

6. Motojr

Motojr New Member

Just a reminder, we will run the kid's race every Tues night at 5:30pm! Open to all kids 6-10 years old. Entry is $10.

Special for this season… kids race for FREE when both parents race in the main race.

***Little guys (and gals) stay tuned for info on the BigWheel race a couple nights!

It's going to be fun!
    DSC075472.jpg

7. OCMoto

OCMoto Member

Nerd
    Well Dino.....You gonna race just one for us or what? 8-[

[​IMG]

8. Dvocean

Dvocean Member

Real Estate
    I can't wait for the OTH, raced a few last year for fun and to get in shape. This year I am trying to get my first cup. I'm tired of using plastic cups at dinner. :). I told myself I can't move up a class until I get at least top 3 in my category. Last years best was 11th so hopefully I have progressed so I can move to sport and get in that extra lap.

9. BROWNIE

BROWNIE I'm good at recess!

work
    I'm in for the series, and depending on my lap times I'll decide if I'll jump up into the sport class (mens sport 3). My challenge is against myself, to push myself...and have a lot of fun while doing it.

10. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

Just curious, have any of you women you raced there asked the promoter about splitting the women's classes into age groups (ie 40- and 40+)? I noticed there were 59 women in the Beginner's class last year.

11. denmother

Here's the reply I got:

To: Nancy Harris <[email protected]>
    Sent: Wed, May 11, 2011 9:55:49 AM
    Subject: RE: Women's classes

Hello Nancy,
    Thanks for the email. We always appreciate the support and suggestions. When we started the race we had two goals for the race class structure. First, keep them simple. Second, make sure the classes are large enough to make them fun. While there were a lot of racers in the women’s classes throughout the season, the largest women’s class (beginner) averaged about 15 people per race. At this point, we can’t really split the class further.

We love all of the support and enthusiasm from the women. The women’s classes had some of the best series battles!

See you at the races!

John Russell
    Over The Hump Mountain Bike Race Series
    www.overthehumpseries.com
    949-219-0500

12. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    I intend to try it this year. How big is the bump up from Beginner to Sport? I'll be in the 20 year old category.

13. denmother

BEGINNERS CLASS- Recreational riders.New racers. You ride, but don’t usually race. Riding your local ride spot, you’re not exhausting yourself at 100% effort every ride, just to get faster. 10 miles is a long ride for you.

SPORT CLASS- You’ve either raced before, or ride hard when you ride your local spot. If a couple hour ride, with a decent amount of climbing makes you cringe, think about racing as a beginner. Sport Class adds approx 4 miles to the Beginner Class, so plan on racing for approximately 11 miles.

SUPER SPORT- A step between the Sport & Expert Classes. We have a lot of fast Sport riders who have considered to moving up, but the step to expert is pretty major. So we’ve created a new class as an intermediary between sport and expert. Super Sport will run 3 laps, and be an Open Age Class. All of you fast sport riders… this is the new class for you.

SINGLE SPEED CLASS- You ride a single speed bike! Women and Men open.

EXPERT CLASS- Typically race CAT 2 or CAT 1 at other races. This class is fast with 4 laps for experienced and accomplished racers.
    • NOTE: Over the Hump is a recreational race, based on the guiding principle: HAVE FUN. We run on the honor system, as you choose your class. If the Race Directors determine you are incorrectly classed you will be reassigned to an appropriate class based on your skill level.
    • Points are accumulated for the races scored in each specific class. Points are not transferred if you change classes mid-season.
    • AGE: Your age group is based on your age during the season May 25-Aug 27. If your birthday will change your age group mid-season you may choose either of the age groups.
    • How do we determine our classes? See FAQ’s Page
    From the FAQ:

What are the “Classes”?- There are currently three broad classes: Beginner, Sport, Expert – On race day we’ll post the age bracketing, based on ridership. Why? No-one wants to race alone, not even the 75 year young-expert-woman. Being sanctioned we strive to keep it fun and simple.

14. Pickettt

Pickettt New Member

SUPER SPORT, that's funny.

15. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    Thanks Denmo, I had read that as well, but I'm still not sure, to be completely honest. I think I hang in the Sport crowd but I might complete embarrass myself. Those that don't know - I've only been biking for about 2 months, but I've been biking a LOT (150+ miles weekly both road and mountain; I often do 4-6 hour rides). My legs are good enough for Sport class, I know that, but I can comfortably say my technique isn't 100% - hence my hesitation.

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Sounds like Sport Class. The course is not very technical, so that should not hinder you. At 150 miles a week, you should have no problem doing 12 miles at 110%. Remember, you make up more time on the climbs than you do on the descents.

Try it, you can always change it later.....just don't short change yourself by going the easier way.

17. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    Thanks, I'll definitely give it my best.

Perhaps I could move this to a more appropriate thread, but... how do you make up more time on the climbs than descents? That seems backwards to me.

18. d'man

d'man Dirt Lover

Certified Financial Planner
    I've ridden with you before Evo, you will do fine without any embarassment in Sport!

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

The descents are not long enough to make up any significant time.

Let's take the Luge for example: you are a much faster climber than your buddy, so you get to the top of the climb in 40 minutes. It takes your buddy 45 minutes to get to the top. Your buddy has to make up 5 minutes on the downhill that u only 10 minutes long. There is not enough trail to make up that time difference.

20. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    According to the "What class you should pick" descriptions I should be in sport class. But I saw the freaks in sport class last year, those guys are super strong riders.

I'll be doing beginner, If I finish strong 3 times in a row I'll switch.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.