Over The Hump (Los Angeles County)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by mwhigherground, Apr 1, 2013.

1. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    Over the Hump Los Angeles is Here, and Registration opens today.

Racing Starts Thursday evenings, May 23, at Castaic Lake, Santa Clarita~ easily accessible from Simi Valley, L.A, Pasadena, and beyond. Featured shops are coming from Santa Monica (Cynergy Cycles), Palmdale, and everywhere in between. With @mbaction only 5 minutes away from the Castaic Lake Venue, you might even get famous on the front page of http://mbaction.com

Registration is now Open...with a couple of Class Changes since 2012 at all OTH venues.

1. Added "True Beginners" for the male open class, that is not scored for the series points but lets all the new racers really have a True Beginner experience.
    2. The Super Sport Masters, is now 50+ because some of the Gents told us their "legs fall off at 50"

Ready to play? We are...keep up the work out there or the trail, then come hang out for beer, burrito, and some old wise tales on the trails.

Looking forward to a bitchen summer.

If you're ready to lock in your L.A. County Registration, Register at : http://raceothla.com/register

See you at the races,
    Kenny, Amber, Greg & Co.

2. marshal

marshal New Member

I raise gophers :)
    I got my email notification from this orgaization today.
    I've already signed up for some volunteer work (I'm local to the area).
    Looks like a fun series and I hope I'll meet other STR members and other great people there.

3. Preludedriven

Preludedriven Member

Graphic Designer
    Home Page:
    I believe that's for the LA County race (races are thursdays)

4. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Just bought the eight pack! Sport 3 . Looking forward to the season!

5. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

I plan on making the drive (for at least a couple of races)!!!
    (paging jeffJ... paging jeeEEEF Jaaaay) :)

6. jbbikerider

jbbikerider Member

Awesome stuff! I'll be there, good bud lives in Valencia and I'm sure he's in as well. Finally some decent racing up in northern Socal.

7. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Been riding with Greg lately on Tuesday nights. He and the crew have been working hard to make this a fun event. Not just the same ol' trails that have been used in the past. Nice to see something get off the ground on this side of town.

Oh yeah, Dino = :bang:

:wave:

8. marshal

marshal New Member

I signed up/offered to be a volunteer, filling out the form on their website. Did it again recently.
    Also sent the original poster of this thread (announcing this race series) a PM recently, reminding him/her that I had volunteered and have NOT heard ANYthing.

At NO time have I been contacted (at all) about my expressed interest in helping out and/or working as a volunteer. I'm local to the Castaic Lake area and have worked for several years at large, outdoor events (not MTB).

The first event at Castaic is in about two weeks - would it be safe for me to assume (I know, a bad word to use!) they have already contacted those they were interested in using and that I am not selected for some reason??

9. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    Its free to enter the grounds every day. You must pay to park.....so park outside somewhere. The trails are wide open, but they cut some new trails and I'm not sure how accessible those trails are yet. Good luck!

10. marshal

marshal New Member

I'm very local to the Castaic Lake area, but I know I'm not the closest STR member to this area. I have done a lot of commuting from here to Oxnard, Ventura (and the Port Hueneme Naval base) and back, in the past. I am happy to offer suggestions to you, to make your round trip to/from Castaic as easy and short as possible. Please PM me and I'll send you my suggestions.

Since I have NOT heard from the event operator, regarding my volunteering efforts, I can only guess that they may not need further volunteers.

I don't know where exactly the event's trails/track are, so I cannot offer any info about access to them.

(I'm still interested in being an honest and hard working, responsible volunteer, if they'd only contact me.)

11. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
  12. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    The course is also on Strava. Lookup othla

13. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Correction to my previous post. Tink the strava segment is "oth loop". Rode the course today. Very very nice. Good job OTH!

14. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

They always need more volunteers.....you can never have enough, no matter the event.

Sponsoring shops that are supposed to provide volunteers sometimes show up with less than the specified number, or none at all. People who are supposed to help out, somehow flake out and don't let anyone know ahead of time....etc.

I would go down to the race on event day and ask for the one in charge....and offer to volunteer....they will find a place for you.

15. marshal

marshal New Member

Thanks for your reply, MtnBikeJ. Appreciated. I agree with you. I've worked plenty of outdoor events, some were free admission, others were paid admission. Some were very family friendly and others were not. Some I volunteered at, some I was asked to help, others I was paid.
    But I always have fun at them.
    I'm just surprised that with less than two weeks before the first event, they have made no contact. Since I would have thought that they'd have an orientation meeting to at familiarize workers/volunteers with some info, assignments, etc., that's why I've come to the conclusion that they may have enough people.

You're right, I could step up at the first event and maybe I'll do that.
    I'll have a good time as a spectator, just not as much as I would if I'm helping out...

16. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Rode the course a few days ago. Both beginner and advanced. No long climbs...but with some short steep kickers. Advanced had a good climb with a fast descent.

17. vlad

vlad Montrose Bike Shop

Home Page:
    Still trying to figure out where the turnout between the beg/sport and the exp/pro line is: at the fire road on the bottom of the grapevine climb or mid climb when the singletrack breaks right into the bottom of grapevine? That little track of lower grapevine is pretty sweet.

18. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Doh...trying to remember exactly where. I just recall that the beginners make a right at the lower section and the advanced make a left to head towards climb. After the single track section? I rode the loop twice..and can't remember all the different turns.

The part that may be a mess is where the two groups would meet up before the entrance of the tunnel. The kicker after the tunnel could be a possible bottle neck also.

19. mwhigherground

mwhigherground Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Marshall,

I think we lost your email communique in the turn on of the LA website.

[email protected] will be getting to them for sure, and I've sent them your information today.

See you Thursday, if the fire has not created too much suffocating ash!

20. marshal

marshal New Member

Great! See you Thursday. I plan to enter the parking lot around 3:30pm or so...
    If they need me earlier, ask them to give me a call - I might be able to. (Amber should have my #)

Marshall