Outboard cranks???

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Leo14, May 22, 2006.

1. Leo14

Leo14 New Member

Hey guys, what's the deal with outboard cranks?:confused: I'm just getting back into the groove of things, and I don't remember these type of cranks when I left the scene a few years back. I'm thinking about replacing my old Truvativs, and everyone is recommending outboards? Thanks for any info.

2. Leo14

Leo14 New Member

I see. BB on the outside. How well do they perform? Are they lighter? Stiffer? Thanks.

3. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    putting the bearing out (wider) makes the bb stiffer,then it makes it so the spindle can be a bigger dia.

4. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Square taper is my favorite, hard to find these days. If someone has a square taper compact crank set for sale let me know.

5. Von-Skipp

Von-Skipp FLOW

Student
    I just upgraded to external bearing cranks last week. I had some old Race Face cranks then switched to the new Race Face Dues. I can totally tell there stiffer and smoother. I was very impressed how much better the climbing was (I did go from 170 to 175mm though).

Its the only way to.

6. dstepper

Home Page:
    Some people can tell a big difference on crank lenght...I am not one of them. I run 175 on my geared bikes and 180 on the Singlespeeds.

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    ditto on the sq taper. ISIS was a crappy solution to a supposed problem (ie, marketing types had to come up with something new) and while external bearings have theoretical advantages, i have heard enough from some very well known shop owners to know that they are not all roses.

my own personal experience is that Race Face external were not impressive at all and my FSA were fine but i had almost not ride time on them.

i am sure if i were a 300 lb single speeder (my goal by the way) i could pehaps benefit from the supposed stiffness advantage but until then, forget the hype....give me a bombproof steel Phil Wood and I will check my bottom bracket once every 5-10 years thank you...enuff said.

also, campy has been doing sq taper for eons and i think they know a little bit about bikes.

8. royta

royta New Member

Electrician

I'm still running sq taper. I wanted to replace my 1996 Race Face Turbine LP standard drive with a compact drive, so I found the same Turbine LP, but in compact and black, on eBay. I picked up a second set of arms that are brand new on eBay a few weeks back.

9. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    by the way, good Lord regarding your King Hub post! mtbr can wear a brutha out!

10. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    No doubt. Very opinionated over there. Not that I'm not, but I try not insult people when I'm voicing my opinion.

11. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

isis...doomed when it first started. small bearings. unreliable.

out board bb cranks...poorly sealed bearings. also, some have wide q-factors. i toasted a couple of race face bearings on a deus crankset when they first came out. for what it's worth, they are pretty stiff.

i have the 3-piece dur ace cranks on my roadie/cx....that's the only place i'd keep 'em...nice and dry for the most part.

square taper...it's tried and true. i use it and will never switch to anything else. plenty of choices as far as widths go to tune your chainline. also, reliable and replaceable (in most cases) bearings.

i hear white industries is going to come out with a geary crankset....i think i will try to find some pics. pair that sucka up with a phil wood and fogettaboutit.

oh, and about that king hub thread. i have used xtr, king, dt 240 and hadley hubs...see my signature (thanks Erik). :D

12. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    Come out with? They already had one. Think back to 1996. They weren't as stiff as Race Face Turbine LP's (the turbines were the be all end all of cranks in 1996), which was a bummer, because I would have loved a setup to match my hubs. Back then, you could have paired up the White cranks with a White BB, either Ti or Steel.

13. dstepper

Home Page:
    I have seen 5-arm compact square taper White Industrys Cranks but they were old and I was told they no longer made them. I have been meaning to call WI and see what's up. Besides thay are made in my old home town...Petaluma and a great company.

14. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    No, I don't think they are anymore. No BB's either.

Post with your info when you do.

I called White Ind the other day, but it was about my hubs. They're a great company. I contacted them in 1995, 96, or 97 (I forgot exactly when) because I mangled a pawl spring, and they sent me three new ones for free. They had higher tension which made for a louder hub. They sound great!

15. singleSSpeedster

singleSSpeedster Rolling on 29" dubs!

yup...you are right. they used to make them awhile back. i think sugino even made some for white ind.

i think they may be coming out with a compact spider to use with the eno cranks. i think i saw somepics on mtbr.

16. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    sweet signature dawg :lol: see....mtbr is good for something ;)

as far as cranks, i am stoked and should have my new bike in less than a week running these bad boys. friggin Phil Wood bombproof, check every 10 years bottom bracket, with cranks that have a lifetime warranty...what the heck more could one ask for?

[​IMG]

17. dstepper

Home Page:
  18. dirttorpeedo

dirttorpeedo drive monkey, drive!

maint. for a oversized school district
    anyone ever use or remember good ol' bullseye cranks? little maint. for bearings tho but best efin cranks for stiffness. shimano, i do belive still makes the sqware taper sets of cranks.

19. royta

royta New Member

Electrician
    and hubs? My buddy's dad had them on both of his Klein singlespeeds back in the early 90's.

20. dstepper

Home Page:
    I talked to White Industries on the phone today. They have what they are calling a variable bolt pattern crankset in the works and will be out this fall. Square taper, forgot to ask how many arm, but it will accept a 20 tooth granny. Since there really are no 4 bolt 20 tooth grannys, it must be a 5 arm spider.

Yes I know Boone makes a 20 tooth granny that is not round for the 4 bolt pattern.