Out for a week

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Jordansrealm, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Well, after having a good day Saturday with everyone I spent the next 48 hours in pain. There is noting worse than tooth pain. Apparently, the root canal I had done about 6 years ago went bad and the tooth needed to come out. Had the tooth pulled yesterday and now the right side of my face looks like a tennis ball is inside. Doc told me to stay off the bike for a week or anything too strenuous since there is a big hole in my jaw right now. Atleast it was a back tooth. I will be loading up on the drugs and eating pudding for the next week. Enjoy some trails for me and hope to see some good RR's!

Jordan

2. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

dam bro didnt think it was going to put you on the DL heal up! can you have soups?

3. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    Sorry to hear about that. At least its only a week and they do say to take a week off every 12 weeks or so! Just relax, and let the pain killers take you away. :lol:

4. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I feel for you, man! Your situation sounds worse than mine was, though.

The day before one of the Bootleg trips last October or so, I had a tooth pulled. I had a root canal done on it about 10 years prior, but the dentist saw that it had cracked after the crown fell off, so it needed to be pulled. I delayed the extraction for about 6 months. I think I was a bit more fortunate, though, as the pain wasn't that bad. But when my heart rate went up, it would start to throb. And even though we were shuttling, my heartrate still went up plenty to feel the pain. Nothing like riding Bootleg on uncle Vic! Mine was also a very back upper tooth, and he said that some of it was into the sinus cavity.

I hope you feel better soon!

5. Cowgirl

Cowgirl New Member

Own Switchback Cyclery
    Uh Oh!

I have a tooth ache today....was it contagious...now I am even more afraid to go find out what is wrong...its a tooth I have a crown on already..didn't thin there was anything left under there to have pain!

Anyway....thank you so very much for the great pictures you took at the VQ/CC...it was the first year we have had someone taking pictures as they cross the line...the expressions are unforgetable! I know it was a long day but it's all worth it to see how happy everyone is at the finish....thanks again!!!

6. northshore

northshore Active Member

It's a gig...
    Doh!!!!! #-o Hope you feel better. Still need to hit up a ride with you and your buds! :beer:

7. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    thanks man yeah just nothing solid in it for a few days.

Very welcome!

8. cbHarping

cbHarping When can I ride again?

The Path Bike Shop Webmaster
    Hope you feel better soon! Dental stuff always sucks, but hang in there!

9. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

this week would have been a great week to have your bike worked on...any more word on that?

10. Singletrack Angel

Singletrack Angel New Member

Too bad Jordan! Guess you'd better head over to In-N-Out and have one of their yummy shakes to keep your strength up. I'm "rooting" for you! (ha ha)

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Bummer, but my advice to stay off the bike as prescribed. I had a procedure a few weeks ago that involved some cutting & stitches. I wasn't really in pain the next day so I went for a moderate ride. Related or not, it became infected and led to several days of painful hell.

(Note: I'm not a dental profesional - I just play one on STR!)

Good luck. Hope you heal as fast as you ride.

12. katonk

katonk .

Meh. I had THREE teeth pulled last summer (two due to "bad" root canal, one to a crash). Surgery started at 8:00 AM, on the road to Mammoth by 1:00 PM (yes, I drove all the way), riding the next day by 10:00. Just had to ride while biting down on some cotton rolls. Drinking out of the CamelBak was a bit of a challenge, as was finding soft food up there.

13. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    Oh I am the king of pain when it comes to teeth. More root canals than I can remember. Knocked out all my top front teeth awhile bake. My only option for new teeth at this point is 12,000 dollar implants. For now I just redneck it.I can say I have been to the dentist so many times, I can tell the doctor what # the tooth that is hurting is and what needs to be done. NO JOKE! I have considered dentures at age 36.Had lots of trauma to the mouth in my years, which makes them susceptible to future problems.I HONESTLY do not know what it feels like to have no pain in my mouth.

14. KBL

KBL Powered by chocolate

Sounds like you're on the Kevin Blumer diet! I've spent a lot of time in the dentist's chair lately, so believe me I really do know what it's like.

15. Jordansrealm

Jordansrealm New Member

Photographer/Editor
    Home Page:
    Thanks Kevin. Yeah being out this week is gonna hurt my increased workload thats for sure which really bums me out.

If anyone wants to get cracking in that STR weight loss contest just have a tooth pulled. I lost 8lbs in the past 3 days.

16. CaDownhilldoll

CaDownhilldoll New Member

work pt at 3 jobs and looking
    Ugh been there done that! I too, had a root canal go bad! In late January, I had it pulled, then had a bone graph and nasal lift and two implants (in my teeth;))! My face was unbelievably swollen. I lost two weeks training for VQ! my face is still very slightly swollen and I have to wait 3 more months to get a crown! talk about looking like a redneck.. I lost my smile cuz I don't want it to show..Thank God it's in the back!
    Happy Healing! I would go for the $$expensive implant. it's better for the long run.

17. Trizz

Trizz The In Crowd

School
    Hey, well since you will need something to replace it, send me a PM, i am a Dental Technician, i work in a lab that fabricats crowns, bridges, and one of our most advanced dept is actually implant, i can ensure that you get a good crown over that implant.

18. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
  19. CaDownhilldoll

CaDownhilldoll New Member

work pt at 3 jobs and looking
    uGH,, I just sent you a pm and was kicked off, I am too tired to redo.. so, I am most interested in a referral... Thank you in advance...
    Going to bed now..
    Happy Trails,
    Donna

20. art23rockpile

art23rockpile Minus Delta T

Cabinet/Furniture/Door Maker
    Jordan, get well soon!

As with Bighit8, I well know the misery of massive dental work. Due to the destructive lifestyle I led for decades, I had to get 18 root canals and 16 crowns in 1994-95. Two visits to Beverly Hills a week for 6 months. :-s The only upshot was that my uncle's a dentist, so the price was good.

I agree with CaDownhilldoll... get the implants (if that's the only realistic option); closest thing to permanent. My next work will be $3500 for one side and $5000 (with bone graft) on the other... and I think i'm getting it "cheap" with family discount. Ouch! #-oI'm building my new bike first!

As it's said: "take care of your teeth, they're the only ones you get". Words of wisdom.