OTH Pros and Experts

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by fongster, Aug 23, 2013.

1. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    For some reason I got a better look at these guys at race #11 instead of the usual pulling aside to let their screaming train pass by as usual. What I noticed is that they are not just physically fit but actually graceful and fluid--complete economy of motion. I saw this best on the Blue Diamond Climb way in the back of the lake when they broke paceline (I believe it was an attack and the response to it). They effortlessly wove their way at an even higher pace through the field of us lesser riders. They never said a word, never gasped for air as they just went around riders and literally jetted up the climb. When they do speak (usually only to ask for passing clearance on a singletrack) it's never a harsh voice--they've been always polite to me. Their breathing is controlled, never labored and they look completely at ease even though they are actually maxed out. Impressive fitness, focus, and efficiency.

2. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Eloquently stated, F-ster.

Watching pros at anything is really amazing. I've had the good fortune of being in the water when a few surf royalty show up, and the speed they generate and the grace with which they do it just made me gasp. Same when I've watched top pro Downhillers (MtB) - they don't flog their bikes into submission, they dance down the hill with an economy of motion that belies their speed - accurately placing wheels, floating across objects, allowing the machine and gravity to do the work whenever possible.

I've been lucky enough to be in the same place at the same time doing (sort of) the same thing as a few top pros in several sports, and it truly is awe-inspiring.

Fongster - It's cool that you not only noticed this while in the midst of a competition, but took the time to write about it.

3. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    I have learned that most I ride with are better/stronger from bike handling skills as well. I exert so much more energy learning where and when to place the wheels and body position, where the pros glide over stuff that holds me up.

4. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    They ride a lot. Dedicated practice goes a long way toward efficiency and smoothness.

5. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    And to add, they seem to smile more when they go up hill while I on the other hand grimace in pain.

6. Jack

Jack Member

Very nice observation and very well articulated. Grace under pressure. Even when they get in a jam and have to unclip, dismount, run, remount, reclip; it's all one fluid motion without stopping or even a hiccup.

7. jae2460

jae2460 Active Member

That's amazing. I've never seen a pro mountain biker ride in person, but I rode that "L'Etape du California" road ride a couple years ago that went up Mt. Baldy twice and down the backside and up Glendora Mtn Road to the Ski Lifts, etc. A lot of the riders at OTH ride road as well I believe, in fact I've read that some pro road riders have ridden it in the past.

I signed up for the L'Etape ride as a challenge but also to get a feel for what it's like for the pros. And it certainly was challenging and really surprised me how good the pros are. I survived the ride, barely, but it took me like over 8 hours and 10 hours with breaks at rest stops, etc. The winning time for them was 3.5 hours for the 75 mile stage with about 11,000 feet of elevation gain; that's an average of 21mph.

At the end of the ride, I was just trying to survive and keep the cranks turning as I got to the village. I was probably crawling at 4 or 5 mph. It's not steep there, but it's a climb and the climb to the ski lifts was still to come. A rider in a Radio Shack kit passed me like I was standing still, standing up in what looked like the big chainring gracefully rising and falling in what looked like an effortless dance as he rode away probably at least 15 mph, possibly as much as 20mph or close to it.

I don't know for sure, but i believe it was Horner putting in a training ride as I could tell he had a shaved head and certainly looked like a pro. And all the strong amateurs riding that day were way ahead of me, so I think it was someone out doing their own ride or maybe climbing that section again for training--something no many amateurs would likely be able or choose to do. That's the year Horner and Leipheimer won the stage, which was a couple / few weeks later.

I remember watching the stage on TV and being able to tell just at the cadence they had and the gearing and knowing where they were on the road how amazing they are. Usually when I have watched bike races, it's on a route I've never seen or ridden before so it was neat being able to watch a race on a route I had ridden recently.

8. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    Clearly you've never seen Troy Wells ;) (His suffer-face is almost unbeatable!)

[​IMG]

9. FijiRob

FijiRob Member

I actually enjoy watching them blow by me at OTH! You hit the nail on the head Fongster. Thanks for writing exactly what I have been thinking. What a cool sport where we can be out there at the same time as these guys and they pass us with class...and a lot of speed. This was my first year of racing and I am officially addicted. See y'all on Tuesday night.

10. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Fongster or FijiROb,

Did any of you guys look if they were on 2X or single Crank Ring ?

11. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I was in a combo of agony and awe to bother looking but now wish I had--you bring up a great point. I'll take a look through some of the photogs' pics and see.

12. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

I'm fortunate (or unfortunate if you look at my results!) to line up with the Experts and Pros. Those that don't have a version of a 1x setup have a really, really unused granny gear. XTR doesn't have a 1x version, and most using SRAM have switched to a version of a 1x (I use a 1x10 w/ 32t and 11-36 to save $$) but I doubt anyone's using the granny at any OTH or USCup races. For the Pros and Experts who are not me, getting up anything steep enough to require a granny is solved by the speed entering that section and carrying the momentum to the top.

BTW, its nice to see that trail courtesy is extended even at a crowded circuit like Over The Hump. Hopefully I have enough breath while I'm trying to hang onto the wheels of the waves that started 1-2 minutes back to barely whisper "Left" or, more often because I lack the energy to pass unless its a wide fire-road, "Your Line".

13. Fullerton Mike

Fullerton Mike I LOVE BIKES!

They are all gifted. It is so impressive to watch them race and pay mind games with each other. And just think these are the local pros. How about a top ten uci World Cup pro. How fast are they?

14. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    You bring up a good personal note, line up with Exp and pro's. How much can you learn from that of riding with them, along with all the other little detail's you bring up.

Dave and I were discussing/exchanging notes in regards of cranks. We have really fast guys on 2X for example, Brandon.G and Tinker.J - UCI would be Nino Schurter (and others) who are also on a 2X making a Killing world wide =)

15. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Pros and mortals

Shameless excuse to drop in some photos.

One of these riders had already been on the World Cup DH podium 3 times in his career and subsequently went on to win 9 WC races, 2 World Cup DH overall titles and podium another dozen or more times so far. The other is a moron who already fell higher up on the course. My point - it's soooo fun to be in the same place, at the same time in the same race as the best in the world.

Gwin on Trek.jpg

Race 3 2-6-11a.jpg

Special thanks to Cleghorn Photography for shooting the photos and allowing me to "borrow" them from the site.

ps: Gotta love the Dickies shorts on Gwin. He hadn't received his TWR kit yet.