Race Report Oth 8/2/11

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, Aug 2, 2011.

1. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

Turns out, I had another tear in the sidewall....this means that I have to take the SS out again, and I'm still not sure that I can do more than 2 laps....

BTW, Sandbaggers suck! If you're in a place where you would be in the top 5 of the next category, you need to move up. The thing with this course is that you will be passing people no matter what--doesn't matter if you're good or not--if you're not, you'll get beat in some fashion. The women have WAY TOO MANY sandbaggers in the beginners group.

Honestly, if beginners are only there for experience, as is what defines a beginner (one without experience), then the goal should be just to get experience. They should NOT have series wins.

I speak not because I am in the beginner class and want to win, but because I'd love to see the people sitting at the sidelines who are too intimidated by the beginner class to even try racing out on the course. I did try to sandbag, with my SS, so I could only do 2 laps. Karma got me-torn sidewall-not that I would have contested a win regardless. That would have been stupid and cheap. http://www.southparkstudios.com/clips/104236/cheating-is-wrong

2. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    Georgia, I gotta disagree with you on sandbaggers in the women's beginners. I agree generally that if you could be on the podium or top 5 a group up - then most probably should. It is a bit more difficult with the women, as the groups are so small.
    Looking at the 8-2 race, only the beginner's winner could be called that potentially.
    If, and that's a big IF; the beginners women could hold their pace for an extra lap.

1st place would finish 3rd
    2nd place would finish 6th
    5th place would finish 7th
    10th place would finish last by 7 minutes

Pretty much the same for the 7-26 race as well.

I think for the most part the sandbagging at OTH has self corrected (or maybe some got bumped up).
    I've been racing for a couple of seasons, so I'm not exactly a total beginner; but I still race beginner because if I moved up I would finish last by about 10 minutes. As it is, it's usually a battle for me to not finish last in beginner.

3. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
    Sandbaggers are the sole reason I don't race any more - boooooo to Sandbaggers!!!

4. doubleoh7

doubleoh7 Called to Creation

Self Employed
    Home Page:
  5. Revalimage

Revalimage Active Member

Entertainment Production
    Thanks for bringing this up Rachel! I have mentioned to many, when I was lined up at the first race all but 2 of the women in beginners raced last year, some for more than two years in a row. I agree with another post you made about no prize series for beginners, it is for the experience only -- bet that would move a few up...as it should!

I get it, it's racing...but if you're not fast enough or have enough endurance for sport, train harder or don't race XC. I tried a second time - gave it much more serious effort, dropped a chain and had two people crash in front and helped them up, did much better in my time but not great. I'm thinking of giving it one more go with a demo 29r or putting some racing/fast rolling tires on my bike and take a more aggressive approach.

Same as the WLC, I understand my placement is directly related to the time spent training.

Just a note; might be a good idea to split the jrs. too. Some of the kids are chasing sport times and are very serious riders, extremely disheartening to a kid giving it a go for the first time on a budget beginner bike.

6. pinnacle10

pinnacle10 Member

Teacher
    Home Page:
    Seems like some of those Sport women need to move up to Expert. Then the Sport class wouldn't be so intimidating to the Beginners that should move up.

7. MnMDan

MnMDan Member

Sometimes beginners get good...but will never be competitive at the next level up. I have a buddy who barely finished in the pint glass in his last beginner race last year, got enthused about riding, and now with a new bike and a lot better fitness he's competing for the win in beginner. I say enjoy it, not everyone is going to be competitive the next level up even if you are competitive at the level you are at. If you're winning at a low level two years in a row, then you need to step up, and 90% do.

The OTH guys know who should move up, and so do the rest of us. There's enough peer pressure out there that even the good-natured ribbing that we give my buddy about competing for the win now that he's put in a few years of hard work and training is making him self-conscious about racing beginner.

If you're frustrated at not winning because there are fast people in your category (looking at the times, I'm hard pressed to single out a rider that's consistently fast enough to be competing at the top of the next level for the entire series), then enjoy competing mid-pack and having fun or get faster...or find a race event that you're faster at.

I have fun racing mid-pack...its not like I'm going to win a wheelset or make money at this...but its fun to talk smack as long as nobody gets hurt.

But if you show up with shaved legs, spandex, and a bike that has more carbon-fiber than a stealth bomber, you're not fooling anyone in the beginner class.

8. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    I can honestly say I don't think anyone in my class (B2) is sandbagging. The first week back, a guy in are class took 1st with 39 minutes. My first thought was "damn sandbagger needs to move up!". Then I looked at his times in the series standings, he's not a sandbagger, he's a guy who keeps getting faster because he's training and he's out here to be the best he can be.

It makes me strive to be a faster rider.

9. av8tordad

av8tordad New Member

10. heith

heith Member

management
    S3=shameless

11. db.mx

db.mx Member

Engineer
    I've only raced out there a few times and so far it has been a total blast. I love the atmosphere and the midweek break.

Who cares about people sandbagging anyway? It happens in all racing and is just a part of it. This is all just for fun anyway. I am happy as long as I go as hard as I can and if I think I rode well when it is all said and done. If I place high at the end (or win) even better. Anybody that beats me is just motivation to work harder so I can bet them in the future.

Hotchkiss: It was nice meeting you on Tuesday.

12. GeorgiaOfTheJungle

GeorgiaOfTheJungle THE Penultimate Mtb'er

13. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    Very well said, Rachel!

14. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page:
    Just an update photos still aren't up on my site, this weekend I was up in Glen Helen for an offroad race and that has taken up all my time. Shoot me an email with your bib # and i'll see what i have, other wise they will be up this week. Thanks!

[email protected]

15. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page:
    Also just a FYI, if you register on my site you'll get an email whenever a new gallery is up, photos should be up tonight or tomorrow.

Also all your information is kept private between me, you, Target, Walmart, Vons, and every Closet World in southern california, i mean what?

16. HighRevPhoto

HighRevPhoto New Member

Home Page: