Race Report Oth #5 6/21/11 (merged threads)

Discussion in 'Racing and Training' started by thomaswildchild, Jun 21, 2011.

1. skirt_count455

skirt_count455 New Member

In regards to what Hotchkiss said;

It's really cool to see how much you learn at each race. Like Dino mentioned I haven't been doing this for long but it really is "like chess on a bicycle". There is a lot of strategy and mental game at work. Being strong definitely does help, but it comes down to using that strength correctly....especially when you're riding against someone that you're closely matched with.

2. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    Race did not start well for me, someone put me in the bushes on the start just past the trash dumpster. Got stuck in traffic trying to make up lost time. Then diaster struck on the back side before entering the single track went over the bar in front of Thomas(did you get it on film?). Landed on the same shoulder I landed on last week. Got checked out by the EMT, she said nothing broken, it was up to me if I wanted to get xrays. I see how it feels over the next couple of days. But I'll be back next week, see you there.

3. driffter33

driffter33 Member

Just want to say thanks to the two unknown riders that helped pick up the pieces after I fell and dislocated my shoulder! Also a shout out to EMT Laura for geting me and my bike loaded up and headed to the hospital! I may just have to volunteer at the next. few races we'll see what the orthoscopic doctor:bang: says tomorrow. :)

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Not a great night for me but had fun. Finished 11th in the Single Speed class and had a slower overall speed then the week before. I never found the good drafting help on the first few laps, it was not till the end of the second lap that cilantro13 gave me a few really good pulls. I learned that Chocolate Chip Muffin and a Cup O Noodle is not proper nutrition to race hard.

5. evof3nd3r

evof3nd3r New Member

Software Analyst
    :wave: Hi!

If it was on the second lap, that was me. My right shoulder dislocated. I stood there for a good two minutes trying to pop it back in and luckily I did. I had a slow lap 2 time since it was rather tender and I couldn't put much weight on it but it's just sore now and all that remains are scrapes along my right side - shoulder, elbow, hip, knee... I picked it back up on lap 3 and finished a respectable (for me) 9th place in Sport 1.

6. krunner44

krunner44 Member

Hair.
    So Sorry to hear about the dislocated shoulder Driffter!! Heal up fast! There were a few crashes out there last night, from what I heard.

Fun times last night. HUGE congrats to Greg, Brandon, Laurence!!!! You guys killed it out there!!:bang: Greg has been super excited about the purple polo shirt he scored from the Path (which shouldn't surprise any of us).:lol: I'm so proud of him for racing smart, and pinning 3rd!! As for the SS Class last night, it was a little more brutal than last week, maybe because the climbs are a bit longer (even tho the course itself was shorter). But I had a blast, despite some very fierce competition. These guys are animals. It's inspiring to see the times that they're posting up. Congrats to iphrankie, who did his 1st OTH last night. That guy can climb! Thomas, thanks for the "loose steep turn coaching", although, I don't know if I followed it. I'd love some help w/ loose turns! And Dino.... was that Gloria Estefan playing on the boom-box in the last lap? Thanks for all your cheers!! I always look forward to coming up that climb!:clap::clap:

I got lapped by Tinker in Lap 3, at the beginning of the 1st big climb. I was passing a guy, and he came up and passed me like a stealth bomber. I got to watch as he gracefully shot up that climb seated, in his big ring of course, passing groups of people the whole way up. It gave me chills.

I'm no photographer, but I'm a sucker for a beautiful sunset, so I snapped a few pix of the beautiful view last night. Great job everyone!!

Attached Files:

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Longtime Newb

Biologist
    I was looking for you when I left. Three in my cooler found a new home in my fridge. Their cousins will probably show up next week.

8. zman

zman WTF ?

Nice!

9. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    So I had this stupid goal to stay in the Big Ring the whole race. Well, I did it, but I don't think it helped my time nor place last night.

I'm not sure if any of you saw the crash at the finish line between the WB rider and the S1 rider. It was one of the worst I have ever seen. The S1 rider clipped the WB rider (not intentional, and he was very sorrowful), and she went FLYING onto the jagged asphalt. What's more is the scraping of the two bikes sounded like screeching metal. A friend and I were the first ones to get to her, and she seemed to be in bad shape. At minimum, she had a dislocated shoulder. However, it did seem as her elbow was hyper extended (but I don't think it was the case). We picked up all of her gear, and walked it to her as the EMT was treating her off the course. After a while, she seemed to be relatively okay. I must say, while she was on the ground in a small pool of blood, she seemed to be more angry with the other rider, rather than concerned with her well being. I'm sure it was a mix of adrenaline and emotion.

Prayers for her and the other riders who went down last night.

10. Giddy

Giddy Member

Heavy Equipment Mechanic
    I had a blast especially the cheering section thanks Mike, Dino & the rest of the FB STR crew it was my best finish at Oth can't wait until next week until then spin spin spin is the only way to win I guess caring 20 lbs helps thanks again everybody Gettee out!!!! ;-)

11. ridetillitburns

ridetillitburns Member

Acupuncturist
    Oth # 5

I had to stop peddling yesterday my foot was aching from a broken toe but I actually got to sit and watch the race and gained a whole different perspective on racing (we are all nuts) I saw the faces and actions of many of the riders most are very aggressive and it looks like they are in pain. I saw several riders that looked like they actually enjoyed what they were doing I saw several with familiar faces and bikes but dont know there names. I do know two of the riders names HOTCHKISS & KIMMI looked like they actually had enjoyment from yesterdays festivities in the heat. Does anybody know what happened to that poor lady that got cut of and slammed into by a male rider ? that was the most horrible sound to hear , and awful to see her sprawled out on the asphalt in probably the rockiest and most messed up part of the road , i feel for her and my prayers and thoughts go out to her , I hope you are ok and heal quickly!!!

12. BMF

BMF New Member

This series by far has the most injuries reported. Maybe its on par due to the number of riders out there but it seems like every week we are reading about people getting messed up out there.

My only guess would be way to many racers of various skill levels on a fast course??

13. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

Not one of my better races last night, but definitely had a great time! Turns out these other guys in B3 are pretty competitive! Good job rockin the 80's Dino and Thomas I think high-speed cornering is the least of my problems, I'm just trying to catch my breath....

Great job on the 3rd place Greg, that's awesome!

14. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

From the "Too Funny" files....

As many of you know, last night was 80's music night. Most enjoyed the playlist... Two racers did not! #-o :lol:

Racer #1
    While he was climbing the steep hill, he blew up on me for a song he heard on the previous lap. Totally joking. Next time I see him, I will fast forward "girls just wanna have fun." I thought it was incredibly awesome that a racer was having fun (even if it was at my expense).

Racer #2
    Post race. Making fun of me for the ghetto radio- no bass (mine broke). Radio didn't play music loudly. Questioned my masculinity (playlist related). Etc. Etc. Etc. Pretty funny! :)

Playlist
    Goodie 2 shoes
    Heart of glass
    Hot hot hot
    Zoot suit riot
    GIRLS JUST WANNA HAVE FUN #-o
    Super freak
    People are people
    Come on Eileen
    867-5309
    Centerfold
    Hurts so good
    Down under
    Conga
    Michael Jackson
    Dead man's party
    What I like about you
    Stray cat strut
    Eye of the tiger
    Wang Chung Tonight

Next week: 90s Music

(haven't decided if the playlist will consist of hits OR... The worst songs on the 90s... Punish everyone for the actions of a few) ;)

15. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Dude, can you burn a copy? That is an awesome playlist! I say your next playlist is "Hair Metal".

16. rodgerdodger

rodgerdodger Member

I had a fun race last night. I crashed, well I kind of just fell over lol.

That sucks JSD I hope you feel better

Worst songs of the 90's ... isn't that redundant?

17. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 New Member

Thanks for helping out. It was a spectacular crash. She's doing ok. I thought she had dislocated her shoulder as well...but it turns out not. She has a lot of road rash and a big gash on her elbow. Could have been worse as she was standing and sprinting to the finish line, so probably going 20+mph.

18. Hotchkiss

Hotchkiss human being

Home Page:
    Either way, I can bring a dope mixed tape. I vote for the worst, It will push us to get as far away from you as quickly as possible.

19. lesserevilcycling

lesserevilcycling New Member

General Manager at Buena Park Bicycles
    Warren hope you are feeling better. Take it easy for the next couple of days, but if you cant race next week come on out and help out, we can use an extra hand.

Good seeing you last night by the way.

20. spunout1

spunout1 New Member

Owner, Hall's Engine & Radiator
    Really fun seeing the little ones out there! My "little" one that just turned 15 last week is now 6'4" and finished 7th in the Super Sport last night...I am proud of every race he is in! Enjoy it!