Opinions sought on a sub-$2500 road bike

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mazer75, Oct 15, 2008.

1. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Hey guys, here's my situation. I already have an '09 Langster single-speed for my commute to work. I love it, but am starting to get more of a road ride itch that I need to scratch, and that's going to take some gears.

My planned usage: lots of miles, possibly even a century or two here and there.

What I'm looking for is the "best" bike in the $2500 and lower range. Brand doesn't matter, but I am already a Specialized whore (in addition to the 09 Langster, I also have and ride an 07 Enduro SL).

So, options I'm considering are the following:
    • Spesh Tarmac Comp Double ($2700 MSRP, "race" geom)
    • Spesh Roubaix Comp Double ($2700 MSRP, "distance" geom)
    • Bianchi C2C 928 Carbon/105 Compact ($2400 MSRP)

All three of these bikes have the Shimano 105 group. But, for the Specialized bikes it appears that the next model up, the "Expert", comes with the Shimano Ultrega SL group. However the jump from 105 to Ultrega SL appears to be $1000.

So my basic questions are these:

• What other bikes should I be considering?
    • For a weekend warrior-type road rider with plans for century level rides, which geometry would be best (Tarmac vs. Roubaix)?
    • And is the Ultrega SL group worth $1000 premium?

I'm basically looking for any and all advice that you guys have for me. I'd like to get a nice road bike that I can ride for 5+ years and be happy the whole time. I'd spend more now if it means I'll be getting a much better bike too.

Thanks for your help guys! :)

2. Chris

Chris New Member

MOTOR TABS & Ladera Cyclery
    For that price range I would look at Felt bicycles, you get more for your money than you do with Specialized.

Felt Z35 (Full carbon and Shimano 105) $2,199
    Felt F4SL (Full carbon and Ultegra SL) $2,999

So for an extra $300, forget Specialized and get the Felt with Ultegra SL :)

3. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

switchback is a Felt dealer, i would hit them up for sure!

4. OffRoadie

OffRoadie Roadie in Exile

Electrical Engineer
    In my opinion, Ultegra SL is not worth $1000 premium, but what do I know, my bike is Tiagra equipped. I would rather spend $1000 looking for a deal on a lightweight, aero wheelset (Zipp 404 tubulars, Williams Wheel System 58 ).

For geometry questions, you really have to go ride the bicycle to see what's best for you.

5. Von Petrol

Von Petrol Member

Commerical Photographer
  6. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    I was going to mention the C2C but seeing as that is on your list and I have not ridden the others ...

I like mine but I have always preferred Bianchi for road bikes, just something I grew up with and I started riding the 928 series back in 02'/'03 and have never had a problem.

You should be able to get the C2C/105 out the door for less then MSRP, sometimes a lot less as Bianchi will have "specials" on their bikes but unless you ask you wont know about it. If you can find last years model you may even get it for less then that, the difference being the color scheme.

If you do opt for the Bianchi then the two shops I would recommend would either be Newhall Bicycle Co. or the Path. There are other Bianchi dealers but those are my recommendations and the owners of both are good folk. If you go to Newhall just be prepared for a bit of Reggae ;)

As far as 105 goes, I much prefer Campy but I did run 105 for two years and never had a problem with it. It does the job and when it starts to wear out you can up grade to DA or better yet, swap out to a Record groupo ;)

7. Kish Me

Kish Me DH'r in a rigid 9'rs body

Home Theater Design- DLP Consulting, Inc.
    Home Page:
    I bought my first road bike 2 years ago. The Tarmac has been a very comfortable bike for the 100m + rides. I only ride the road <10% compared to MTB.
    The Tarmac does not feel too "racey" to me and I'm used to a more relaxed position on the MTB.

RnR did a thorough fit for me ($$) and it's been great ever since.
    :beer:

8. duke777

duke777 Active Member

IT
    Adrenaline bike got a Dura Ace equipped Krestel for 2400 full carbon frame. How can you go wrong with that deal!!!!! Brand new too.

9. BFloFoxRider.

BFloFoxRider. Active Member

Army
    Dood, you have it all wrong.
    GO with the Most Awesomest Riding road bike out there.
    Corners great since it has the 1

http://giant-bicycles.com/en-US/bikes/road/2260/32179/

Corners Awesome since it has the Overdrive. WHich is the 1-1/8th headtube on top, and 1.5 on bottom. Stiff as heck to turn, and not flexy, yet still dampens vibration more than a majority of any other bike on the market.
    THe downtube Is super Hefty, SO when you pedal, The bike doesnt lag, or get squirrely, It takes of. . . in a straight Line!
    You would be wrong now to go with one. :wave:

Also, to add, Giant Does not Buy its Carbon Fiber. THey Use Military Grade Carbon Fiber, and make it all in their own Factory.
    You Definitely Get your Moneys worth.

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

In the Specialized arena, I'd definately go with the Roubaix over the Tarmac. I went from a road race type bike (like the Tarmac) to a Roubaix, and because of the more "casual" geometry, I find that it's a lot more comfortable and relaxing to ride. I'd give any model Roubaix a solid double thumbs up.

Unless you have to have the bling and only slightly better performance, and you have the cash to spare, the $1000 upcharge to Ultegra is barely worth it. You'd be very happy with the 105.

11. Au575

Au575 New Member

I went through a similar purchase process earlier this year, and went with the Roubaix, although mine has a mix of 105 (shifters/brakes) and Ultegra (cranks/derailleurs). The 105 brakes are certainly good enough, and you might be able to talk your shop into upgrading the rear 105 d-rail for an ultegra (the only place I think it matters).

I looked at the Bianchi, a Fuji, some Treks and also rode the Tarmac and Roubaix back-to-back. For longer training rides, the Roubaix felt like a better choice. If I were doing criteriums, I'd go with the Tarmac, as the handling on the Roubaix is just a touch slow (but not compared to our moutain rigs!). The Roubaix climbs well, and is otherwise a very competent bike. Like every bike in that price range, the wheels could use some 'lightness.'

I also suspect you could do better than MSRP on either of the Specs.

12. mazer75

mazer75 New Member

Hey thank you so much guys for the great recommendations! I'd have never thought of Felt or Cervelo either, and those are interesting bikes.

I'm going to try and hit a bunch of shops this weekend and check out the "real" price I can get on some of these bikes.

Thanks again for the advice! :beer:

13. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Don't brush-off the idea of a "barely used" road bike.

A friend recently picked-up a Top Of The Line bike at a bargain price. :eek:
    In these tough times... money talks!!!

Just my opinion...

14. Pho'dUp

Pho'dUp Spam Musubi MasherSS

P-line rider
    Another vote for Specialized Roubaix. I ride an '05 and think it's the cat's meow.

15. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    Just so you know, not all bikes are what they are said to be.
    A customer Brought in a Sick Seven Road bike, Full Dura Ace and everyhting.
    It weighed a tick over 16 pounds, And we had just put on some feather brakes. The guy let me take it for a ride behind the shop, and it rode like crap. It was Flexy, and didnt dampen any vibrations. If you do a no hander, the front end would bounce around, and look like it was going to fall apart.
    What i'm trying to say is, When you go to look at road bikes, take ycomfortable clothes, Some Pedals you like, and shoes, as well as your helmet, this way you can test ride the bike around the block a few times to see if you really like it.
    Most places will let you test ride bikes, Some even demo.
    Whereabouts do you live, We have the Giant TCR in stock, i forget what size though.
    No Pressure to buy, but if you live locally, come by and ride it for awhile, See how you like it.
    It should put a huge grin on your face.

16. Jman

Jman Live Free, Ride Hard

Home Page:
    I have the 105 group on my Specy Allez Elite and it's worked like a charm for the past year. The front dr needs to be adjusted but that's after a year of riding with no tune-ups. The group is pretty solid...so is the bike for that matter and cost me about half of what you're looking to spend. I've done 60 miles on (the SART) it and it was quite comfortable. Maybe you could get a cheaper bike and bling out the MTB!? :bang:

17. Mordy

Mordy mmm beer

too much work
    I advise the Giant TCR Advance 2 or 3 like the guy above. Great combos and good prices.

18. DirtymikeTDB

DirtymikeTDB Guest

Hmmm, suprised noone mentioned the Trek Madone 4.5 Good buy on a bike, E2 steerer, Like the giant it has the 1 1/8 up top and 1 1/2 on the botthm, Full carbon frame which rides well, doesnt have the new fangled integrated BB system, or Seat mast system, but still a great bike for the money.

Gimme a sec, I will post up the link

EDIT....Here ya go

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/road/madone/madone45/

19. BFloFoxRider.

Army
    All i have to say, for a third time, Before you buy a roadie, Ride the TCR Advanced.
    One Ride.
    It will speak for itself.

20. qua77ro

qua77ro New Member

Build a bike for that money or go used. 2500 will get you a lot of bike.

SRAM Force grouppo on ebay <1k
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2009-New-Sram-Force-Road-Bike-Complete-Group-Groupo_W0QQitemZ320310973305QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item320310973305&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Pick a frame/fork for 600-800

Thomson post for 40-50 bucks
    Saddle (100 bucks)
    Ritchey WCS 4axis stem/bars (aluminum, no carbon) 120-140

400 for wheels/tires/pedals

Cable/housing is cheap, 30-40 bucks maybe.

Before you buy any bike, ride as many road bikes as you can. Geometry, fit, > weight > components.