Open Carry States...

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by bing!, Aug 22, 2014.

1. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    I saw handguns on the streets of small town Ore last week. In Ca I see concealed shiny pistola's on gansta's all the time, look at their belt when the lift their shirt for some reason or another. Especially the younger ones, the pistols look so much bigger on the lill dudes

2. da big hills

da big hills happy night trails

daily night grind
    BUT I thought this was about alcohol too. Louisiana and Tejas both have drive through daiquiris bars, sweet drinking and driving

3. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

I don' t care either way.....i just hope the person that's carrying has been properly trained, but that's a whole new can right there...

4. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    d@mn, and here i thought this thread was going to say "open carry" was coming to Cali so i can walk around with a go / traveller beer after leaving the bar ala New Orleans :(

Next your gonna tell me chix won't show their b00bs if we toss a grimy bike chain at them . wtf :?:

5. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

...."shall not be infringed."

6. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    So now you made yourself even more of a target. YOu have cash I can steal and a gun for me to take. Just come up behind him with a gun to his head. Then take cash and money. Open carry is stupid without backup. You aren't on patrol and you aren't law enforcement. No one is watching your back. You just took away the element of surprise by letting everyone know what you have and what limitations you have. If open carry were such a deterrent, no cops would ever get killed and ambushed.

7. boxedlp

boxedlp New Member

health care
    I know it's about open carry. But in Orange County you can apply for Concelaed carry permit. Just an FYI.

8. bing!

bing! Active Member

I collect rent to. Believe me, I'm watching my back when I do. As far as an openly carried firearm making one an even bigger target, for many reasons, I find that hard to believe.

9. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  10. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    I can see a lot going wrong with people walking with guns. Let's say you're shopping at your local dept store and a robbery takes place. The police arrive outside and the robbers are trapped. No problem. You have your weapon. You raise it and point at the bad guys and just then the cops burst in. Look whose pointing a gun.
    Better still another gun toten citizen is in the store. He sees you, you see him. You two blast each other.
    Sorry way too many scenarios like this.

11. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    No, only good guys will shoot bad guys when everyone's packing!

I know, maybe we can make sure that those with open carry have some proper training. Oh, and make them wear something that indicates to others that they have this training, like a uniform or a badge or something.... Oooh, or maybe some form of "well-regulated militia..."

Nahhh, blast away citizen-heroes! I totally trust your instincts under pressure.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2014
  12. Y-NOT

Y-NOT New Member

I guess I carry for the wrong reason. I do not carry to stop crime, I carry as the last option when someone else is going to kill me.

13. herzalot

EdgeUCater
    How do you know when that is going to be? At what point does feeling threatened turn to imminent mortal danger? When a car full of gangster-looking youth pulls up alongside you on the freeway? When a sketchy looking dude reaches into his pants? When a would be robber has already produced a gun and is shouting instructions?

I'm not really arguing, just making a point that we would need to be so precise in our decision making not to make a fatal error for self or others, that the likelihood of being correct while still having time to act is actually quite slim. If you are convinced you are going to save your life or your loved ones by carrying a gun according to the laws of your state, I am certainly not going to stop you. I can't. I'm unarmed. But the more I hear about the seemingly random shootings that plague LA, or other horrible crimes of innocent victims, the more I understand people's desire to arm themselves for the (mostly false) sense of security.

14. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

This is a good point; that's why you carry concealed (legally of course).

15. Chopper

Chopper The Ancient One

Retired
    Here's something I can say and my gun toten friends cannot. I am 100% certain that I will never accidentally shoot a friend or member of my family.

16. CarbonLegs

CarbonLegs Search for ultimate ride.

Moto Tech
    Another cool thing about Vegas beside being able to carry, is the beer/Ale tasting at the entrance of any Supermarket. Picture Vons or Ralphs with a 10foot long wine or beer tasting both right at the entrance, literally in your way. In witch i have had a buzz while grocery shopping = ) BTW- You can shoot your gun just a few minutes off the road. You dont need a permit or a shooting range- Gun however, does have to be registered (no big deal). I seen people at Walmart, Target, Mcdonalds, Motorcycle shops, gas stations and people riding on their Motorcycle carrying Guns- Gnarly.

Ride your dirt bike and shoot at the same time, reminds you of the Cowboy days.

17. bing!

bing! Active Member

You should also consider tearing out your bathroom. That there is the biggest killer in the household ;)

18. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Go take some training. Im serious. It is an eye opener. It is always strategically better to have the element of surprise. You lose that when you open carry. You think you can draw fast enough if the other guy already has a gun to your head? Open carry only works with multiple guys open carrying. The bad guy can only take out one guy before the other good guys return fire. that is a deterrent. You billy badass by yourself open carrying in a bad neighborhood to collect rent does not deter anyone because you have no idea who to even focus your attention on.

The open carry movement has done absolutely nothing to further gun rights. All it has done is given the rest of gun owners a bad reputation, making it seem like we are attention whores who like getting their picture taken at chipotle with their gun. Now the negative backlash has gotten new legislation to ban it. Just go away or spend your energy fighting for concealed carry.

19. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    These fantasy scenarios just dont happen. Concealed carry is very widespread in the rest of the nation. You would even be surprised how many in CA have concealed carry. You would be surprised. Now in terms of open carry, i agree. You will get negative attention from police and bad guys. It is stupid.

20. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    http://6abc.com/news/3-shot-at-hospital-in-delaware-county;-1-in-custody/216641/

This doctor might disagree.