O'Neill Park Trail Conditions

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by ericfoltz, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

I too would like an update. I used to do this ride quite a bit. Especially once I discovered Cinnamon Productions for a post ride treat. :)

2. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Tijeras Creek has become my regular route, out and back, from Ladera Ranch. Avoid the section between Arroyo Trabuco and Las Flores. What's not a nearlyimpossible stream crossing is sandy or recently graded fire road. The section between Las Flores and where it goes under the toll road is pretty nice, IMO. The only real reason to include the part that you talked about is if you're making a loop with Arroyo Trabuco, which has its own issues (though I haven't ridden it for several weeks. I think that's on next weekend's to-do list).

3. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Arroyo Trabuco

Hadn't ridden this in a while and the difference since last time is huge. Somebody's been out there with some heavy-ish equipment. That combined with some re-routes have made most of this trail quite rideable again. Amazingly, the Bobcat (or whatever implement they used) didn't seem to do too much damage to the vegetation. But they filled in some holes, including one big one in the jungle area that was really hard to get by without stepping in putrid water.

Most of the creek crossings are rideable now, and if you'd rather not, most have rocks to step across. There are still some rough and rocky or sandy hike-a-bike sections, but it's a huge improvement over the way it was and the trail is much easier to find. Get out and ride it!

Interestingly, there's still a "trail closed" sign at the intersection with Tijeras Creek, no idea why - that section of Tijeras isn't any worse than some of the wiped-out sections of Arroyo Trabuco.

Here's today's route: http://www.geoladders.com/show_route.php?route=47112

4. Duke

Duke New Member

musician/composer/piano teacher/composition teache
    That "trail closed" sign at the intersection of Tijeras Creek and Arroyo Trabuco has been there since.....last summer??!?!?!? I'm pretty sure that they just forgot to remove it. When I called the park a couple of days ago, they said that all trails were open...

5. uncleb

uncleb Hopin' and Prayin'

Tijeras Creek Trail Conditions?

Has anyone ridden the Tijeras Creek Trail (or surrounding areas) recently. Wondering what the conditions are.

Thanks,
    B

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2011
  6. BigTex

BigTex Member

writer/photographer
    Excellent, except at the south end where it joins Arroyo Trabuco. There it's a little messy and the water crossing is wider. Only problem elsewhere is the thistle encroaching onto the trail and some sandy spots. The reroutes around the fallen trees and trail washouts from the winter are nicely worn in.

There has been some heavy equipment work on Arroyo Trabuco. The trails a bit wider in places now, but ridable in places it wasn't after the storms. With a little bit of road transit you can make a nice loop out of it.

7. Phishin Paul

Phishin Paul Team Hardcore Cornbread

I had not been on Tijeras/Arroyo South since the big storm but just rode twice in the last week. Seems to be recovering just fine. Creeks are low enough to ride through. I am glad I chose the singlespeed because the sand and water will wreck a drive train right now. Also, I saw deer both trips back there at the trail intersection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.