one up industries 42t cog cassette upgrade

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by trestles126, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Varaxis

Varaxis Trail Ninja

Maybe 3rd parties can design a B-Knuckle that can alter the tilt of the parallelogram to match the slope of the modified cassette better, so there isn't as much of a gap between the guide/upper pulley and the smaller cogs, for consistently fast shifts throughout the cassette. I think that's what the Saint mode converter and Zee B-knuckle option do.

I'll wait for Shimano to release their version. Don't see any patents related to it, but Waki Leaks tends to have insider info on prototypes. They do have a patent for extending and using the space by the spokes for gears, which the cassette drawing depicts (patent). Looks like one of the challenges to implementing that is managing the slope of the cassette, or creating a RD that would adapt to it. SRAM was able to do it since it was a 1X-only system, using an "offset" pulley system that managed the gap through chain slack. The less slack, such as a chain wrapping around a large cog, the lower the upper pulley got, but as there is more slack the closer the pulley got. The pivot for the cage isn't on the same axle as the upper pulley, but instead if forward and below it. That design wouldn't work with a double/triple up front. Wonder if X-Horizon is patented...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

3. xflite

xflite New Member

Ok, let me call them now, thanks!

4. epicriderat

epicriderat New Member

Self employed DME
    I ordered the OneUp 40T today and it comes with a free 16T. Gonna run a Wolf 32T up front. My current 2x10 set up is 28/39 and 11/36, the new gears should work out for me. I'm not trying to get lower gearing than I have now, just a simpler drivetrain. I'll post some pix and give some feedback once installed.

5. fongster

fongster Active Member

Designer/Art Director
    I see. I spin out on road downhills but never on dirt (I don't pedal downhill much on dirt except the mellower descents).

6. bing!

bing! Active Member

I am so behind the times. I just switched to a 2x9 and am enjoying it. 36/22 x 11-34. I'd go to a 2x10 but those things have bigger rings and heavier. Can't wait to get me a 1x only frame when I finally upgrade my bike.

7. chevrolegs

chevrolegs Active Member

I have one ride on my 42t Wolftooth with 30t up front and so far so good. I noticed the shifting isn't as smooth as the 11-36, but it's not terrible. Having that extra bail out gear is nice.

8. trailninja

trailninja Going Slideways!!!!

Quality Engineer
    I'm having so much fun running a 1x10 I haven't even bothered to install the one up 42 t cog I picked up from The Path. Lol.

9. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    While my Zee rear der. works great on my Yelli , it didnt play well on the FullSquish. When in the 42T and the suspension used up travel the lower jockey wheel could hit the 42T and cause problems. I may have been able to add links to solve the problem, but I threw on a XT long cage w/clutch and its working well. Same length chain, just the longer cage moves the jockey wheel further away from the cassette.

10. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Your way past the capacity of that derailuer with a zee. Not shocked you had issues.

11. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    How do you figure? 36 capacity in the rear, same as any other..... Did you miss the part where it works fine on the Yelli?

12. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

I just switched over from a long cage XT Shadow Plus to a X9 RD and X0 shifter. So far it shifts better than the XT. The X9 does not have the massive delay in shifting in the three smaller cogs. On the XT...I had to hold the shifter till the chain moved up to the next cog. The X9...soon as you hear the click...you can let go and the chain will move up to the next cog. You also don't need to crank the b tension screw all the way in. On the XT...I had to reversethe b tension screw.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Umm no the max cog size is 36. Capacity is the gear difference. Capacity for a Zee RD is 25 not 36. Your at 31.

No i didnt, and with no suspension is has nothing to compensate for so it could work that still doesn't change the fact your way past the capacity.

Did you miss the part on the website that says its works with Med and Long cage RD yet you tried a short?

14. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I think you're confused on what chain wrap capacity is . I don't have a problem with the der. not taking up excess chain.
    Dont believe everything you read on websites, the Zee works great!

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Member

I'm with Scottay on this one... I'm running 40t with a Saint der in DH mode (b-link removed) on my Nimble9... it shifts just as good as my other bike set up with 40t or 42t with an XTR medium cage... I found that running the longest chain possible, with the slightest tension on the cage, really did the trick... its a little laggy on the bottom 3 cogs, but not terrible... may have to try the X0 or X9 stuff to feel the difference... sounds like the way to go...

16. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Ok fine your guys know more hope your willing to take the blame when someone blows up a RD trying to follow your "rules" instead of the actual specs.

17. Kriller134

Kriller134 Member

If this were the case wouldn't everyone be blowing up a RD unless they were running a xx1 RD? Normal RD are only spec'd for 36 right?

18. RS VR6

RS VR6 Member

Hundreds of these 42T's have been sold...and so far no has "blown up" their rear derailleur yet...but who knows.

19. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I am more worried about blowing up my hub with the extra torque.

20. scottay

scottay New Member

A&P
    I'm not sure you'd have tons more torque if you go 1x10 and 32 or more up front.