Old Mongoose Alta?

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by steelie, Nov 27, 2005.

1. steelie

steelie New Member

Student
    first off hello,

second off my brother is in the process of buying an older model Santa Cruz , he doens't know the model nor does the owner..but because of this new bike he wants to give me his 1996-1997 Mongoose Alta bike, it has a RockShox fork of some sort (judy?) , 1 inch headset, its in good shape but its pretty much stock. So should I run this guy or should I get a newer hardtail of some sort when I move to LA?

I was thinking I could upgrade some little things, such as pedals, hubs, rims, maybe some stiffer springs, bars/stem, etc etc..

Thanks

2. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I say you save money and buy a new hardtail when you move out here. Chances are you are gonna end up dumping alot of money into that old frame.

3. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

I agree with DINO. you can get a really good hard tail for what you would spend on just parts along trying to ugrade such an old frame.

4. Evel Knievel

Evel Knievel New Member

The one inch headtube will limit your new fork choice to one by Marzochhi .Reason enough to get a new HT.

Newer HT's will allow for a longer travel fork. The choices are endless at 1 1/8 headtube size.

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I agree with what everyone else says.

Welcome to the site, btw! :wave:

6. steelie

steelie New Member

Student
    Ok thanks guys, I think I may just ride this for a little until I can get some money up for something. Not even sure if I'd go hardtail or full suspension.
    cya round

7. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Full suspension, save a little more money some more, then buy a FS rig, you won't regret it.

8. steelie

steelie New Member

Student
    Wait, could you explain your post more?

Get a full suspension, but then you say to save a little more money some more, then buy a FS rig? FS=full suspension, right?

9. Diamondback

Diamondback Banned

I used to have a Mongoose Alta SX. It was blue, chromoly frame and w/ the 1"
    headtube: its tough to find a good fork. But what the hell, ride the damn thing
    and enjoy it. For $169, you can buy a Marzocchi MX or for $99 you can get a Rockshox Judy SL. But thats if you wanna upgrade the thing, and that would be the only thing I'd do. I would keep the bike, its chromoly and old school and it rides better than any aluminum hardtail for regular trailbike riding.
    Buying a new hardtail is a waste of money because hardtails are relics anyway, so keep this one and save up for a nice full suspension.