Old Camp: another Jeep over the side

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by Bikesurfski, Sep 29, 2013.

1. sasquatch9billion

sasquatch9billion Active Member

Non-profiteer.
    Home Page:
    I've been told by my 4 wheeling buddies that in situations like that people just hustle home and report the car stolen or some similarly dishonest stuff like making-off with the vin # and plates.

2. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

As of this afternoon, the Jeep is still there. Sadly, some idiot(s) have already thrown rocks at the windshield and broken it. Based on the fact that 95% of the traffic, that I have seen, b/t the Luge and Old Camp is mountain bikers.....it was probably a mountain biker that vandalized the vehicle. I hope not.

Regardless, based on the Jeep ( decent build, Moab Jeep Safari sticker on front bumper) I will also make the assumption that it was an experienced four wheeler who was driving the Jeep or at least owns it. Also, if the entrance of the road isn't clearly marked, I'm not quick to pass judgement. The position that the Jeep is in completely confused me as to exactly how this happened.

If this person was knowingly poaching this trail, I think having $40,000 worth of Jeep wedged in a position that only a full size tow truck will get it out ( if thats even possible) and still possibly may be totaled is punishment enough.....no need to throw rocks.

3. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Jeeps are pretty tough so I doubt it is totaled. Wrecker is not getting up there. It may take a lot of digging, jacking and building of ramps to get it out but at least it s on its feet with makes things much easier. Somewhere up hill there has to be something to winch off of or at least another jeep. Throw rocks is uncalled for how would we like it if someone threw rocks at out bike when we off trail scouting or just doing a bike then hike. People are lame the one that got stuck and the ones that threw rocks. I used to work for the CA Department of Forestry and we righted many jeeps some with people that did not walk away.

4. Beowulf Shaeffer

Beowulf Shaeffer Titanium reinforced!

Depending on trail composition at that locale, some 2" x 6' spikes and a 10lb sledge should help with the winching. Should be standard equip on a rig like that. Genius, indeed...

5. dstepper

Home Page:
    Yep. I have also needed to needed to dig a deep hole and bury the spare tire to winch off of.

6. jeepr84

jeepr84 Member

All of these hypotheticals and possibilities on retrieval are valid....but no anchors or pickets are going to hold as this Jeep is wedged and major under carriage/suspension parts (springs) are laying in front of it. The only possibility, i think, would be multiple vehicles anchored to each other, a significant amount of digging and winch retrieval ..and even then, it's a sideways pull. Not to mention the Forest Service (if they even allowed it) would sit there with a pencil and bill you for each plant and scoop of soil that was disturbed. It's really an unfortunate quagmire for someone.

7. eteamer

eteamer Member

Fun Have'r
    Mabe it IS stolen and dumped. Has anyone reported it to the cops?

8. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

Directions: Below Cadillac and above Luge. From the Luge, just head toward Old Camp and look left.

9. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

You may notice on your way up to Old Camp, that there have been metal barriers in an attempt to stop the 4-wheelers from ascending/descending, but that they were dismantled by torch and thrown over the side. This is not a mere failure to observe barriers problem.

10. Bikesurfski

Bikesurfski Member

More Pics Again

A couple of additional Jeep pics, plus one accidentally copied from an Aliso Woods trail called Car Wreck to which someone had added the skull and crossbones :)

Attached Files:

11. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Yup, right after the fires, the FS put in these barriers, but they were torn out shortly after. These were between Cadillac and the Luge.

IMG_0089.jpg

IMG_0090.jpg

12. MTB Fiend

MTB Fiend New Member

That is NO excuse. Personally, I think the CNF is partially responsible. They have known about this issue with Cadillac and Jeeps climbing out to STT, but have done absolutely nothing about it. Now, we the public, whom the CNF is supposed to serve, have to live with this toxic pile of crap and other trail damage done illegally. Hell, the CNF won't even fight to keep access to OUR National Forest open at the bottom of Joplin. I think the Jeeper should sue CNF for not closing a dangerous trail to vehicles.
    I was up there Monday evening and spoke to a couple additional Jeepers who were meeting even more Jeepers with intentions of extracting that Jeep last night. The CNF could have made enough $$$ in fines last night to pay for a gate at the bottom, but I am sure they sat on their thumbs in their useless truck and did nothing. The CNF law enforcement is not credible.

13. doublewide

doublewide Ride Life....Ride GIANT

King
    Don't forget to blame Jeep for making a trail ready semi-capable vehicle. LOL Just sayin........ ;)

14. mike001

mike001 Well-Known Member

Maintaining a NF in close proximity to population areas like OC is an unending war against cidiots, dumb kids, wannabe rebels and faux adventurers. And you want litigation against USFS. Nice troll. Or completely lame idea.

Thanks, doublewide.

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Just because you CAN go somewhere....doesn't mean you SHOULD.

Just ust like us....it is the user's responsibility to know the rules/laws of the trails.

The CNF is aware of the problem, yet they choose to do nothing about it.....they would rather issue BS tickets for not displaying your Adventure Pass.

There are enough pinch points up there to close it down to vehicles. It just needs to be done.

16. dstepper

Home Page:
    The OC side of the range does not have half the problems that the East side of the range has.

17. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    do natl forest rangers work during this govt shutdown? im guessing the forests are still open...

18. FROADER

FROADER New Member

Graphic Designer
    Your 4 wheeling buddies know some pretty shady people. Unfortunately, since it's still there, they might be right.

If that was mine (I wouldn't be driving a Jeep :)), I'd have as many of my friends as I could find there with winches, tow straps etc. asap to help get it out...

19. dstepper

Home Page:
    If they deem it essential to keep people out of closed areas like National Parks they will work. It is hunting season in much of the county so I would think Fish and Game will be out there. Federal Back country rangers with arrest powers will be working. Any area that has a gate to lock on federal lands will be locked unless State Fish and Game keep it open. This is done to have the most effect on common folks to promote a political agenda. Do you think Obama's chief and staff are going to be furloughed? Is this a good time to poach? I would think yes. It does not seem to be effecting the stock market.

20. glattime

glattime Member

Last night was such a nice night that we did a run up to Old Camp to see how things were going and there were 3 Jeeps and a whole Jeep club attempting a rescue. They had strung the vehicles together and attempted to winch the stuck one up, but they said there was no way. It looked like they had additional anchors and the one guy said the dirt just wasn't stable enough to pull it up. The whole group seemed pretty bummed that the jeep had been vandalized so badly by that point. As we left, it turned in to a salvage operation and they were removing winches and expensive stuff.

Seems to be pretty harsh reaction to this incident from an MTB community that has no problem digging illegal trails all over the same national forest. In the same forest there isn't even one legal OHV route that a street car can't be driven up. I cut them a little slack on poaching. I would do the same if bikes were banned.