Ok Here is my list of not to buy cars

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gooseaholic, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Yea, I think that hybrid SUVs are just dumb. The mileage changes from 17 to 23 or something silly like that. If you are going to have a hybrid you should at least get over 40mpg.

I don't know what the new standard civic gets, but my buddy gets 40+ on the highway with his older standard civic.

I think I'll just keep my little Ford Focus and save my $ rather than buy a new car and have to start making payments again.

~R

2. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    Okay, I think I did the math correct, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

I compared a Civic hybrid at a cost of $22,600 and an average MPG of 42.5 to a regular civic with a price of $18,635 and an average MPG of 30.5. At $4 a gallon it would take 110,057 miles to make up the additional cost by the better gas mileage. So, for me that makes sense because I like to keep my cars for years and years. Of course, it doesn't factor in the maintenance cost and someone above said that their experience was that the hybrids have higher maintenance costs.

My bike gets infinite mpg. I just have to feed the engine enough cheeseburgers. :)

~R

3. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:

Hey Brandon,

I have no advice on WHAT vehicle to get. Just remember to shop around and be super selective. If you're patient, you'll get a sweet ride at a sweet deal. Be prepared to walk away from a seller.

You also asked about "borrowing." I only have one bit of advice on that: Don't do it. Be patient, save up some more, and then pay cash. You can do it if you hold off a little while.

Start your financial life understanding that borrowing money is foolish and you won't do it. You'll then never be tempted to live beyond your means. You'll save more money, and you'll be a more affluent adult.

Life is like a long cross country race. If you leave the gate sprinting, you'll look cool and be way ahead for the first few miles. By mid-race, you'll be bonked and everyone else will be passing you. Start with a winning strategy, and you'll be better poised to be first to the finish.

One last thing: You mentioned 9% and $159 payments over three years. That looks like a $5000 loan for which you're going to end up paying $5724. That's 14% premium for being impatient. You'll have to decide if that's really such a good idea.

So that's the sermon. You won't heed it entirely, and don't feel bad about it. Sixteen year old boys are not much different than 45 year old boys. We all want the coolest cars, the biggest trucks, the lightest bikes with the most travel, and the widest screen tvs. Just understand when you're being irrational, and try to reel it in.

Adios!
    Rob

4. RustyIron

RustyIron Rob S.

Home Page:
    Dude,
    That is SO bloody insightful. It's crazy that more people don't pick up on the idea. You have a car that runs and it's now essentially FREE.

I see some folks who finish paying off a car, then go out and get another right away. What the hell is up with that? Personally, I have to work a LONG time to earn what it takes to buy a new car. It almost KILLS me to part with that kind of jack.

The mileage argument is bogus. You can buy a LOT of gas for the price of a new car.

Clean it, wax it, change the oil, and drive it a looong time.

5. RacinJason

RacinJason Banned

Be careful what yall say about the Honda Element Willie will bust a Kung Foo Panda on yo face.

Her car seems to be rock solid so far. She loves it.
    I might have to sell my big beast and get one with tha lame gas prices rising.

6. AKmoney

AKmoney Member

Field Application Engineer
    One other key difference between the Civic and Civic Hybrid: The Hybrid version's batteries are placed behind the rear seat. This means you have a smaller trunk and you give up the rear folding seatback. A rather large negative for us cyclists.