Ok Here is my list of not to buy cars

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by gooseaholic, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Rkoa63

Rkoa63 Certified Newb

CPA
    You really can't go wrong with either of those trucks. I drove an 01 Ranger for 3 years and never had any problems with it (except for being REALLY slow). My dad drove a Ranger and put over 150k miles on it before he sold it and the only major repair was a new clutch. My sister bought a Ranger new in 96 and her husband is still driving it to work in LA every day and it has about 200k miles on it. As you can tell my family likes Fords haha.

As far as the Tacoma goes a friend of mine bought one new in 98 and is still driving it today with about 100k miles. No major repairs except for the typical stuff:brakes, tires, hoses, oil, etc.

Good luck with your purchase!

2. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

you just hurt my feelings.......thanks

3. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I have a 2000 ford Ranger and yea its no Audi or BMW it has been very good to me. I have 108,000 miles on that baby and the only thing I have changed out was shocks, battery, tires and brakes. That truck has been the most stable realationship I have been in. Yea I am still loooking to buy a new car but I don't know if I can get rid of my Ranger. I really can't get that much for him so I may just keep it.

4. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

ahhhh

"most stable realationship I have been in. Yea I am still loooking to buy a new car but I don't know if I can get rid of my Ranger. I really can't get that much for him so I may just keep it."

5. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I remember when the Civic Hybrid came out you had to drive something like 250,000 miles to break even with a regular hybrid. I'm sure it's noticeably less now that gas prices have gone up.

Also, that's comparing a Civic to the civic hybrid. Since a regular civic gets way better gas mileage than most cars you would need to drive a hybrid less to break even if you were comparing it to other models.

~R

6. Winger

Winger Member

Everybody seems to be down on the Mustang.

I drove a '98 GT for almost 7 years (Bought used @ 14,000 miles and sold @ 83,000 miles) and spent roughly $660 on repairs i'd consider non-wear items (excluded oil changes, tires, batteries, spark plugs/wires, brakes). It never left me at the side of the road.

The worst thing that happened was that they replaced the transmission at 18,000 miles under warranty and gave me a rental car.

If you include everything, I spent $3838.42 over the life of the car on maintenance and repairs. 2 sets of tires account for $1500 of it.

And....in my opinion the 2007+ V6 Mustang isn't a bad car. I agree that the older V6 models felt like rental cars, but the newest model is a huge improvement. The V6 of today feels very similar overall to the '98 GT in terms of power and handling. The new GT's are REALLY fun, but the V6 is finally good enough to be a decent alternative.

7. Zippy

Zippy Small, but Mighty

Endurance Coach
    Home Page:
    The early 90's Fox-body style with the fuel injected 302 and the 5-spd trans. were rocket-ships. I'd love to get my hands on a coupe.

8. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Toyota Highlander

The hybrid costs $6,700 more than the non-hybrid. If gas was $5 a gal you would need to drive it for almost 200K miles to breakeven.:)

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

I didn't see any surprises in there. Perhaps I was surprised that a few more vehicles weren't on that list, but those that were there made sense.

10. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    i had a new VW beetle when they first came out. i loved it. the fit and finish were awesome but it was always in the shop for some computer malfunction. like you said, it was a lease so it was all covered but it was still a pain in the rump, though.

i hate that VW's aren't more reliable. i really wanna get a new VW rabbit when my lease is up on my current car and i was thinking of buying and not leasing this time, but i don't wanna get spanked by it's lack of reliability.

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

What???

The 2008 Civic LX (with A/T) has an MSRP of $17,760
    The 2008 Civic EX (with A/T and without navigation) has an MSRP of $19,510. The Civic Hybrid's features are between these two.

The 2008 Civic Hybrid (with CVT and without navigation) has an MSRP of $22,600.

That's quite a bit less of a difference than the price you quoted. Also, there are also significant tax incentives for Hybrid buyers.

12. supralight

supralight New Member

money tree in backyard
    b- seriously check out a volvo. you can get a really really nice one for about $3500 and then have some coin left to make it go faster. then theres no financing, no need for a co-signer and all of that crap. most of the people on the turbobricks forum usually have 2 or 3 cars and can usually let one go for cheap and steer you in the right direction as far as modifications go.

13. mtbmichael

mtbmichael New Member

student
    w/ the 4.0 v6? my dad has an 01 explorer with about 150k mi and the only thing changed out of ordinary maintenance are the shocks.

14. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Toyota Highlander

I was comparing the Toyota Highlander.:)

http://www.toyota.com/highlander/

:?: what the tax incentives are...any idea?

15. Fired Yo Momma

Classified
    Yea and it runs like a champ :bang:

16. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2008
  17. Fired Yo Momma

Classified
  18. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    Just don't forget to get quotes on insuring that bad boy too! I can just imagine what the rates would be for a 16 year old male........ The insurance rate should make that car payment seem like nothing!

19. Code Blue

Code Blue Guest

Hybrid

What you think they are a Hybrid because the burn gasoline........ and oil?;)

20. surlygal

surlygal Bad Girl of DH

Accountant
    He filled it up a few days ago

$19.00 for a full tank #-otoo bad he's adding to the nasty air we breath ;)