Oahu Road Routes

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by mfoga, May 3, 2010.

1. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Anyone know of some good road bike routes in Oahu area. I am thinking of renting a bike and doing a couple road rides while I am there.

2. shudder

shudder no big deal

Sr. Systems Administrator - Disney Animation
    Home Page:
  3. live_in_hilo@yahoo.com

[email protected] hilo boi

hvac
    prob. the whole north shore.

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I was thinking something along the coast but didnt want to drive to far to start and I am staying in Waikiki.

Was thinking maybe a route from Waikiki along coast around diamond head towards windward side up the coast towards Kaneohe Bay

5. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    There is short bike path that runs from Dillingham in front of the airport through Pearl Harbor and out to the far end of Aiea. It has a lot of stops for lights and peds as well as parts going east that don't quite connect to downtown and over to Waikiki. They are trying, but as you will see, space isn't exactly at a premium there.

http://www.honolulu.gov/dts/bikeway/maps.htm

http://www.honolulu.gov/dts/bikeway/exist.jpg

For some serious climbing action and incredible views, try Tantalus/Round Top Drive starting from Ala Moana Shopping Center or from the Downtown/Punchbowl side. It's a long winding road that through some spectacular rain forest and culminates with a great DH that ends near Manoa Valley and the UH campus.

Another choice climb is either St. Louis Heights or take Sierra Drive to the top of Maunalani Heights also with incredible views and a great DH return. You can also take the bus to the top or part way and ride back down.

Waikiki around Diamond Head heading east out to Sandy Beach is great ride and you also pass the famous Blow hole and Haunama Bay.

There is basically one road, Kamehameha Hwy. that loops the island. It's about 90 miles and can be done in a day no problem and there is plenty of Mom & Pop bush stores and such for supplies, not to mention beach parks to stop at. I did this a couple of times back in the day on my MTB starting from town and from the North Shore as well. Both times making it home before dark.

If you don't have a rental car, take the bus on a circle island trip and you will see the route you will be riding on. You can always get back on the bus if you get too far and it starts getting dark.

http://www.flacyclist.com/gmap/classics/hawaii_oahu/hawaii_oahu_112mi_2007.php

Also, on the east side and windward side of the island, it becomes/connects to Kalanianaole Hwy from Kailua, to Waimanalo and with a climb to Makapuu Pt. then through Sandy Beach, Aina Haina, Kahala, detour around Diamond Head/Waikiki and back towards Honolulu.

You also have Dillingham from Honolulu out towards the west side which connects to Farrington Hwy. that dead ends at Yokohama Bay. also goes through some tough areas, don't get stuck there at night. Probably not a big deal if you are, but still, just the same.

Keep in mind, the roads on Oahu are only a smidgen wider than the Autopia at Disneyland and bikes are merely a nuisance to average motorist.

Not sure who is still dong rentals but some of the bike shops I frequented -

McCully Cyclery - bike and sporting goods, but great folks and reasonable prices.

http://www.mccullybike.com/

Island Triathalon & Bike for bikes and route info. ITB is the roadie ship with the most 'tude. But they gave me the best deal ever on my first Cannondale MTB.

http://itbhawaii.com/

The Bike Shop, good local family owned shop.

http://www.bikeshophawaii.com/home.html

Also Hawaii Bicycle League might be helpful for connections as well: http://www.hbl.org/

here are some threads with some more info as well:

http://www.hawaiithreads.com/archive/index.php/t-12989.html

enjoy and be safe!

6. Byron B

Byron B Born to Ride

Business Finance
    becareful, roads are pretty narrow, i decided against it... go hike all the local rainforests, its awesome.. if you go down to northshore, eat at Lei Lei's located at the Turtle Bay Resort.

7. Fewinhibitions

That would be your best bet for overall scenery and is the route for the Century Ride as well. Some parts of the highway have been widened but still, be careful.

Another thing, you will also have plenty of company if you want it when riding there.

8. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I have been to Hawaii many time and know that a lot of the roads are not the most bike friendly but then again outside the the southern part of the island traffic is not nearly as bad.

I looked at the HBL site but it looked pretty dead.

9. Fewinhibitions

I think your best bet is your first idea of riding from Waikiki around Diamond Head out to Hawaii Kai and around to the windward side and back. Round trip to Kailua is like 50 miles and probably 90% of it is flat. to go all the way to Kaneoje Bay Drive and back will add about 20 more miles

A small detour on the way would be just after Sandy beach. As you start to turn back into the mountains along the climb up towards Makapuu Lookout and over to the windward side, there is a gate and an asphalt service road on the right that takes you to Makapuu Lighthouse. The road is open to the public and there can be a lot of folks walking the road as well. It's maybe a 10 minute ride from the highway to the top. Definitely worth the time spent!

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...u+lookout&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&start=0

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&...=2&aq=0&aqi=g1&aql=&oq=makapuu+light&gs_rfai=

10. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    I live in Oahu now for school and unless you are in a big group I would not recommend riding the coast. The East side, next to Sandy's and Makapu, are narrow and fast.

Get with a group at a bike shop. The Bike Shop on King Street and Bike Factory near the Ward Center are my favorites. I dont like McCully Bike shop, they dont know what they are talking about. Just a little FYI.

If you are out here in the next 2 weeks and rent a mountain bike for a day I can show you a trail I ride 5 times a week, either take the bus to the top and ride down or ride up the road. LMK

11. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I didn't really want to a group ride. I would rather go my own pace. I was thinking doing a road ride would be easier then a mtn bike ride.

Do you have any good ideas for rides then? what about if I started west of Ewa beach up to Keana Point or maybe up further the north shore.

12. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    That is a pretty sketchy area, lots of crazies. I have only driven through there a few times.

For mountain biking there is a place called St. Louis Hgts.
    http://www.pinkbike.com/video/68192/
    I ride there 5 times a week and there are several different trails up there. They usually shuttle up to the top but you can ride up like I usually do, 30 minute 800ft ascent, or you can jump on the #4 Bus and ride to the top.

There is also Ka'awa valley which they only allow you to ride if it is an event which there is one everyother month or so.

Those are the only places I have biked but there are other great places.

Try DHHwaii.com, websites been a little slow lately but it will load.

Also look around on this website.
    http://www.thevishfiles.com/

Guy that created it is apart of the DHHwaii.com crew and videotapes and takes alot of pictures of rides.

13. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I am not really looking for DH rides more of try and stay in some sort of shape rides. That was the main reason I was thinking of road ride.

14. PassatBoy101

PassatBoy101 New Member

Giant Sales / Student
    Oh ok. Um when you go to rent your bike I would ask them about it, that would likely get the best opinion since I am not a road biker I am out of place answering it.
    Have fun and be safe when you come out here.

15. Fewinhibitions

I would seriously recommend that you skip doing the westside up to Yokohama Bay. Unless you have no problem cycling through S Central. Not to mention, the last couple of miles to Kaena Pt is off road and hiking trails.

Totally forgot about Wally & Bikefactory. :bang:

Going up the middle of the island to the N Shore is pretty dangerous as the traffic flies on the 2 lane like they are on the 605. Once you are on the N Shore it isn't too bad. You could take the bus out there, but really, I would do the eastside over to Kailua side.

You can also avoid the really narrow and fast part near Haunama bay by taking the the route most cyclists take and that is to turn left on Lunalilo home Drive when you get to Hawaii Kai. Then turn right onto Hawaii Kai Drive up the short hill around the backside of Koko Head Crater and over to Kealahou St. Go right and meet back up with Kalanianaole Hwy at Sandy Beach.

Also, the stretch from Makapuu Lookout down to Sea Life Park and Waimanalo is narrow, but folks slow down even in vehicles through there. Past the UH Oceanography pier there is long string of beach houses. the last two houses before the Shriner's Beach Club spot is the "Robin Master's" Estate.

A few more miles hang a right into Bellow's Beach park also known as Sherwoods - long nice clean beach, the perfect "paradise" spot.

If you make it to Kailua, take a quick loop of Lanikai. If you see an older Hawaiian Woman out front of her beach house on the last part of the loop, say hi to my MIL. There is only 2 Hawaiian families left in Lanikai and the matriarch of the other one passed away some time ago.

j/k you don't have to say hi, but boy would she be surprised!

16. CA_descender

CA_descender IamHAZZMATTseeMEgroove

Father & Husband
    If that is the case, why not just grab a board and paddle around? There has GOT to be somewhere to use a surfboard there.;)

:beer:

17. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

I plan to do that after work all the other days I am there or get SUP board. I was looking for something to do the once full day I have.