Not sure if you are a conservative or a liberal? (WARNING POLITICAL CONTENT!)

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by 2wheel_lee, Mar 31, 2010.

1. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    :lol: C'mon, are you joking?

I will assume you are asking a serious question here.

The basic fact that CA has millions in population that have zero knowledge, education or experience in firearms is a good start.

Why does CA have thousands, if not millions of more laws and rules than any other state except maybe NY?

Why are CC permits so much easier to get in other parts of the state of CA than SoCal?

Seriously, think about it.

2. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Cough cough bull doo doo :lol: :clap:

3. Fewinhibitions

Then where is the differentiation of his opinion as an individual vs. being a moderator?

His opinion is welcomed, but needs to be clarified is all. Unless his opinions are also those of the STR ownership.

Other than a few posts where he has made it clear, I have assumed his opinions are his and STR's as he has made them with Moderator badge intact, or am I mistaken?

To be sure, I like the guy so far - although I haven't met him yet. He has been most helpful to me on this site.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2010
  4. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    Now I want to see the joke that got that response. LOL. Link me foo.

5. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

I believe you (collectively) have been party to plenty of threads where conservatives were called "teabaggers" and various other names over and over and over. And I for one believe comments like this serve no other purpose than to piss off, offend, or elicit a response from conservatives. For a conservative, the "teabagger" comment is at least as offensive as the email forward that got posted in this thread.

(Incidentally, goading each other is part and parcel with politics throughout our history and you simply can't take crap like that and get all huffy and offended by it.)

Just saying that people tend to take offense at things different ways. And if you aren't on the butt end, you tend not to pay much attention or even notice.

In any event, we should all be a little less knee jerky about taking offense to things.

There is some truth to this adage: "He who takes offense when offense was not intended is a fool, yet he who takes offense when offense is intended is an even greater fool for he has succumbed to the will of his adversary." -- Brigham Young (yeah, he was a religious leader. Get over it.)

[​IMG]

6. calzone

calzone Banned

Web Whiz Looking for Work
    I'd hate to see that happen. Political debate is healthy and necessary. It's a natural impulse and merely repressing it doesn't make it go away. People being people will discuss these things and it helps us know each other better.

Sometimes we get heated; people take things personally or whatever. The solution is not to stop the debate, but to censor or highlight when people make non-sequitor or ad-hominem attacks, make false assertions, or resort to blanket ridicule, or slander.

This being an MTB site and not a political site, I wouldn't expect moderators to spend much time making fine-tooth judgements along those lines. But whatever they do spend time on, I would hope it would keep with that spirit.

For what it's worth, I've personally seen success both in me adjusting my opinion and someone else adjusting theirs as a result of debate.

7. Fewinhibitions

The teabagger comments were directed specifically to those who have aligned themselves with the movement, and not towards conservatives specifically or collectively.

I could be mistaken, but if IIRC, the teabagger moniker was thrown out after someone else put the first shot across the bow.

FWIW, I think any and all subjects are ripe for humor, some are just funnier than others.

:beer:

8. Cilantro13

Cilantro13 ...

No argument here, still doesn't mean people won't take offense or that funny as it may be perceived to be that it isn't intended to be offensive.

9. CalEpic

CalEpic member

There is absolutely no problem with healthy debate on nearly any topic. The problem is when healthy debate turns into personal attacks, etc.

Let's not forget that STR is first and foremost a website with a mission to unite mountain bikers under a common interest. When something begins to undermine that, steps will be taken to preserve that core goal.

10. eruizela

eruizela mountain bike addict

Realtor
    Tell me this is an April fools joke

11. Fewinhibitions

The Mods should have put together a series of farewells and STR is closing due to time/money issues, etc. and went with it all day.

That would have been effin great!

Just the amount of the all too serious folks getting all kinds of angry and freaking out would have been incredible. You can imagine the replies and possible threats.

"WTF!!!? I just paid my doohickey money and now you're closing up shop? Eff you you bunch of bastids! Wait until I see you out on the trail!!!!"

Hehehehehehe, Oh well.

:wave:

12. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    Are we going to war?

13. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me
    I though about it, and I've come to a conclusion that this state is controlled by LIBERAL DEMOCRATS..... I totally forgot about that!:lol:

Thanks for reminding me!:bang:

Why is it that the bigger mass of people cannot be educated? Are the people in a smaller (by population) state that much smarter?

14. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    What about 26" vs 29"? Time to change the subject!

15. Fewinhibitions

Actually it is controlled by Energy corporations, the Prison Guards Union and the Entertainment industry.

A diverse mix of ideology if there ever was one with the sole exception of worshiping the mighty $.

No, just easier to control and keep tabs of smaller, generally more polite and fearful folks with fewer laws.

Only a fascist would ride or condone a 26er!

16. CPATCRASH

CPATCRASH Enjoy the ride!

Selling the elderly hopes and dreams
    Good answer! With the exception of my UZZI.

Only a fascist would ride or condone a 26er![/quote]

17. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Those that ride 29ers are compensating for something else! :lol:

18. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

If a conservative is gay he goes to the airport/male hookers to pick up guys and drives home drunk while smoking meth.
    If a liberal is gay they are okay with it

If a conservative has the slightest hint a country might be thinking of harming the US he sends in the army.
    Liberals will at least consider the facts.

19. F.A.D.

F.A.D. POWERED BY MUSUBIS

Feeds me

Thank you for solidifying the conclusion to my thought process.:clap:

20. ManInAShed

ManInAShed New Member

Destroyer of worlds.
    You know, I think you've touched on a big part of this thread: Being offended.

1. People are far less polite to each other when they should be (in person), than they should be.

2. People need to get over being offended, especially when discussing irrational beliefs or concepts that others are going to think are absurd. You know if you believe in stuff that makes no logical sense to anyone who doesn't think just like you. Either keep it to yourself, or... your convictions better be strong enough to withstand a few ridiculing goofballs taking half-hearted pot-shots at it. This is how we learn.

Any way you break something offensive down, it's all in how you process it. If you're not going to entertain other concepts beyond your own, and stick to your proverbial guns, you can: a., try to engage and fix the dumb monkey, b., get offended and sulk, c., or recognize the offender is an idiot in that particular subject, and laugh at their willingness to embarrass themselves publicly.

Attacking ideas is good. It makes ideas better. Attaking people, not so much.

No one here is deciding policy. And none of our votes even matter ultimately. This is all entertainment.