Not liking my rockhopper too much

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Edgar, Apr 25, 2011.

1. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Commitment Issues

Sam Hill. 'nuff said about flats being valid for riding chunky DH.

OP - I do agree with a pedal change - either to a set of real flats (with pins) or to a set of clip-ins. Those in betweeners that are in the bike in your photos don't work well with any shoe for much of anything. I ride both clip-ins and flats (not at the same time!) - flats will teach you better bike handling skills. Clip-ins will help you maintain proper foot position (assuming you get the cleats in the right place to begin with) and can help with power transfer and efficiency.

The pedals you have on there now need real toe clips! :bang:
    Toeclips.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2011
  2. strobe

strobe resident noob

As a beginner, i would say this is dangerous advice. Just 2 weeks ago i grabbed too much rear brake on a 12ft wide trail going into a swooping turn. Looking forward i noticed that my power slide was heading directly towards a 2 1/2ft tall boulder. Clipless pedals and a beginner isn't going to unclip like its second nature. Beginner is going to become one with nature after smashing into the rock. Luckily, my platforms allowed me to hurdle my bars and run out into a safe fall off the trail.

Just at the beginning of this ride, i was starting to question if my skill has advanced enough for clipless. 2 crashes that day. No clipless for me. And i still feel quite connected to the bike on the technical or downhill sections that are riden within my skill level. I do think the uphill would benefit from clipless but its not worth it if i get hurt bad enough to not even ride because i can't bail when needed.

Learn to ride the bike as it is and any upgrades will be much more noticable when your skill advances enough to appreciate them. Ride with some better riders, too. Most i have riden with here are very patient to show you the ropes and not push you past your skill or equipments ability. Ride and enjoy. It only gets funner.

3. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

Kona Wah Wahs plus Five Tens work great for me.

4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

I would rather cut my feet off than have to go back to running toe-cages.....talk about dangerous. No Thanks.

At least when my foot twists in my clipless pedals, eventually it will come out. In toe-cages that won't happen.

5. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    That was a joke. Note the head-banging smiley emoticon thingy.