Not liking my rockhopper too much

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by Edgar, Apr 25, 2011.

1. NA1NSXR

NA1NSXR Member

WHy do you hate the fork and tires? What did you expect descending a rocky trail to feel like?

2. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Finally - I was about to post a similar question. A few specific comments on what you did and didn't like about the fork, tires, and overall feel of the bike, plus the trail(s) you typically ride would all help us provide better advice.

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Finally the voice of reason.

Many people start off riding basic mountain bikes. Over time, they feel they need to have all the latest widgets to enjoy riding and eventually end up some some high-dollar rig. Hang around riding long enough, and you'll no longer care about that stuff, and you may find yourself back on a hardtail with any old fork and whatever tires you can get cheap. The bike itself becomes much less important. Work on bike setup and riding technique.

4. Edgar

Edgar New Member

id expect my shock abosorber to do just that. absorb the road... im happy with the frame.size and the way i sit on the bike. the tires it comes with seem more like street tires they slip going up steep trails..
    what should my tire pressure be set at?
    the trail i went on was los rebles, in newberry park.

5. GeoRob

GeoRob Member

My wife has blasted down Los Robles many times on an old bike with 26" wheels and a Dart 3 fork...you got 29" wheels and a recon fork....
    Stupid question but, have you checked the lockout and rebound adjust?

6. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Was the photo of the bike the right one?

Have you checked the sag? You could have the wrong weight spring?

7. afgenkuong

afgenkuong Guest

Definitely missed a huge detail. ;)

8. rojomas

rojomas A.K.A The Oxx

Is that right, it's a Recon? The Rock Shox Recon is a pretty descent fork. Save your money and learn how to setup your fork.

9. Edgar

Edgar New Member

here are some pics.. my bike has a dart 3

Attached Files:

10. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Those tires on there are very fast, but they don't offer great traction. I'd recommend leaving the rear one on there, but replace the front tire with a Specialized Captan in about size 2.0 or 2.2 (smaller is faster, but doesn't have as much traction, but still darn good traction).

If you're about 170-200 pounds, set the rear tire at 35 psi, and the front tire at 30 psi. If you weigh more add a few psi, but if you weigh less, consider dropping it only a little, but not much. If you find yourself pinch flatting too much, then go up in pressure on that wheel. For best handling, you generally want as little pressure as you can get away with without pinch flatting, but enough so you don't have too much rolling resistance (the never ending conundrum that varies with trail conditions).

Rear tire traction mostly relies on tire pressure and weight position. I guarantee that a hill that you may insist on the tire being at fault, someone could climb that hill on a completely slick tire using proper weight positioning.

Why is your seat so low? Did you lower it for a downhill and not put it back up again?
    Unless you're fairly tall (and you did lower your seat), remove the spacers from under the stem and put them on the top. This will help shift your weight forward a little which will help your climbing and turning.

If this is the seat height for your leg length, I think the bike may be too big for you.

Get some good platform pedals. If you're a beginning rider, don't rush to get into clipless pedals.

Leave the shift levers where they are, but move the brake levers inward against them. This will give you better braking power and control.

And have the shop properly reroute the front brake cable on the inside of the fork.

What happened to the fork on the bike in the background???

11. Waldo

Waldo Lebowski Urban Achiever

Foothill Ranch... but my credit card lives at The
    Step 1: Do everything 2wheel Lee suggested. (I'm not a big fan of the Specialized Captain tire, but I may be in the minority there. Everyone has their own

Step 2: Live with it for at least 6 or 8 solid rides

Step 3: Then, and only then, consider upgrading your fork. The Dart is an entry-level unit, and better forks can provide a better ride and less flex, which adds up to more control and confidence. They also have more adjustments, which can help but can also be confusing to set-up. Incorrect set up will render the best fork no better than your current one.

12. mmcverry

mmcverry New Member

Website Developer
    That looks to be a rock shox dart...

Whatever it is, it has 28mm stanchions which are way flexy for anyone over, well, any weight.
    I completely agree with the importance of the correct tire pressure. By spending a month focusing on the correct tire pressure for your riding style, and weight, you take your mind of being a weight weenie and the dent to your wallet of buying new parts.

Seriously, get the right pressure, it'll be like a whole new bike. Tire tread wearing down? Not enough traction? Lower your tire pressure!

Okay I'm done beating this dead horse. Good luck!

13. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Edgar, I see you're in Santa Paula. If you want to head out the 126 over to Castaic, I'll check out your fork settings, tires, etc. for you and show you around on some local trails while you're here.

14. monstertiki

monstertiki New Member

I'd take him up on his offer, him and the other dirtbags ride some fun trails out that way.

15. Edgar

Edgar New Member

thats for all the tips 2 wheel
    im 165lbs 5'6" the seat seems to fit right
    the stp in the back is my little dirt jumper project..

16. Edgar

Edgar New Member

awsome, ill let you know when i can get out there

17. Radner

Radner New Member

If this will be a purely trail bike for you, you may want to remove the wheel reflectors. Would save you a little bit of rotational weight. They are pretty easy to add/remove, so it may be worth a try.

18. herzalot

herzalot Well-Known Member

EdgeUCater
    Hands too high?

Dead horse - but I agree with 2WLee - if that is the correct seat height for your leg extension, then the whole setup will be tough to climb with. Removing the spacers to lower your hands might help, but the frame may be too big. I ride with my hands about 3" lower than my hips - Which helps for climbing - and yes, I can rip DH on that setup as well. Mind you, I am 6'4"

New 575.JPG

19. Lovin

Lovin Calmer 'n you are

What size is that bike?

20. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

165lbs? You could have to heavy of a spring. I don't know what spring is the fork but that could part of the harsh ride.