Not down, just a warning

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by Pain Freak, Sep 1, 2007.

1. Pain Freak

Pain Freak Dead or Alive

Da Boss
    Home Page:
    Last night a few of my coworkers and I set out to get some climbing in, so we hit up Indian Truck Trail. It's got some great climbing. Well, the climbing went great. We went about half way up and they decided to call it quits. So we started the descent. Climbing up I noticed a few places that were like dustbowls and just rode around them, but coming down with a full head of steam and a big fat 2.5 on the front I figured to just barrel on through. Bad decision, that stuff was like riding on marbles. I've had it happen before, but not like this. I went down doing a good 20+ mph. Fortunately I only got some road rash and a little sore leg and arm, but I was amazed at how this dust reacts when under speed.Avoid this stuff at all costs if possible.

2. guero

guero iFroth

dang mike, why didnt you just hunk the dust bowls? j/k. hope you heal up soon my man!!!

3. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

software development
    glad you're mostly ok Mike. that could have gotten really ugly. i have a phobia of dustbowls and deep sand after breaking my first collarbone on that stuff.

4. Schecky

Schecky SoCalMTBubbs

I got bit by one yesterday too.
    I was going downhill and the next thing I knew my tire was plowing through 7" of powder and then I was.
    I got out easy, just a bent brake lever.
    Heal quick Mike!

5. ShugaMama

ShugaMama New Member

Good to keep in mind...

This sort of stuff has claimed a few folks I know- one gal ended up with a broken jaw crashing in powder at Aliso, needed a few operations involving lots of wires and pureed food until she healed... Glad to hear you're OK, though Mike.

6. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Those same conditions got me up at Big Bear three weeks ago. Broken collar bone. So, between that and the HEAT, I’ve got an excuse for being off the bike!
    Although, I am starting to get “cabin fever”!

Heal up everyone!

BTW, 89 degrees in Culver City at 10am today.