"Normal" BMX Gearing

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by FoShizzle, Sep 21, 2008.

1. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Today was my first day on a BMX track, using the bike i picked up off of eBay intended to get my feet wet. Hung out with son and granted I was timid as can be just getting used to it all...felt the gearing was too easy. What is so called "normal" gearing? I am guessing for some of you it varies by track, etc., but for a 24" bike whats a good starting point? Right now its 36t/16t and I felt even if I wanted I couldnt get the speed I should be able to.

thanks

2. strobelite

strobelite Banned

bicycles
    try a 37 or 40 up front. also, most cruisers come stock with an 18 in the rear.

3. Chewyeti

Chewyeti Circus Bear

Whatever the competition is using......

to finish first... you must first finish :)
    get some runs under your belt and see what your body and bike is telling you... (it might say you are ghey tho!)

4. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Thanks...the bike I bought came with a 16t. I just counted in the garage. I will perhaps just pick up a 38t in the front??? And pick up some various cogs but in general, just wanted a bit more speed to be able to be carried

haha...indeed. I have yet to race for sure...but at least I didnt embarass myself by crashing in front of all the kids' parents. It helps that my son is brand new as well thus allowing me to go real slow and use that as an excuse :)

5. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    If you have a filp flop hub you can go down to a 13 FW, but a 39-16 should work well and be very easy to find cheaply.

6. Tmac

Tmac Lonewolf

moving cans from here to there
    I am running 42/18 on my 24".

Come on out to Bellflower tomorrow and we'll do some laps...

7. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    thanks...that sounds like better gearing...thats a couple/few gear inches taller than where I am at and would be good. If I get a 38t it will about put me there.

I actually took this week off (to get my life back in order) so may be able to explore...just getting over shingles due to friggin stress and as of today the pain is bearable to where I need to get back on the bike. When in Bellflower???

according to the seller, the hubs on the bike are Sun but they are definitely "cassette" hubs so no flip flop

thx

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Congratulations on the new bike! I can't wait to see the photos. Also glad to hear you and your son took the Redman clinic (per your PM). That guy is a huge wealth of riding skill training - he truly trains some of the best BMX racers in the world.

So...gearing...Chosing hte right gearing is tough. Based on strength, body build, and general conditioning, the "ideal" gear is a wide moving target. The 36/16 ratio (2.25) is a fairly easy gear. One of my competitors uses that gear, and he kills me out of the gate. However, I can pull him on a straight with my taller gear (if I can get around him - there's something to learn from that). Hugh runs a 42/17 (2.471), if I remember correctly. He's super fast out of the gate and on the straight. I could never pull that gear. I typically run a 42/18 (2.333), but after recently being off the bike for a couple weeks, I couldn't pull that gear out of the gate, so I went to 44/19 (2.317). Yeah, it's only slightly easier, but it helps me get out of the gate better. I also lose some straightaway speed at faster first-straight tracks, such as at Bellflower.

You should also look at the tracks you're riding. Freedom Park has a flat gate and a very short first straight. I think the 36/16 may be good. Next time I go to that track, I will run either 39/17 (2.294) or 41/18 (2.277). Yes, these ratios all sound very close, but there truly is a noticeable difference.

The track at Simi Valley has a lot of areas to pedal so a taller gear is helpfull. I still ran my 42/18 there for the straights, but I got killed out of the gate (the gate is very flat).

I'm assuming the gear you have feels to easy (or spinny). This is typical for many mtbers crossing over to BMX. You could start by simply changing the front chainring to a 37 (2.313) or 38 (2.375).

It also comes down to picking your priority for the track. The lower gears help the gate, and the higher gears help the straight. But since you're just starting with this, pick a "neutral" gear and get used to riding a bit, then work on fine-tuning your setup. The first new skill you'll learn from riding BMX - as odd as it may sound - is improving your spin and sprint.

9. HUGH

HUGH Mashers Only !!

I burn metal
    I started out with 42/18 wen't to 43/18 then to 43 /17 Now I'm at 42/17. If I were racing I would switch gears between tracks to be optimal. Since I'm not 42/17 seems to be a good comprimise for the three tracks I have been to.You just have to find what works for you. The numbers that Lee is putting up next to the gear ratios are slight differences on paper but HUGE when you are on the bike!
    Good luck!

HUGH
    :)

Oh and we are waiting for the bling!(No pressure)

10. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    Thanks Lee...that all makes sense. I think I will pick up a 38t front and play around with it to get the feel.

It was pretty funny...i was quite embarassed today as there were 21 kids and I noticed I was the ONLY adult!!!!...LOL. Well, I promised my son and while I feared I screwed something up when rushing the build (seller forgot shim for post) and had never done a track on a BMX bike, I had to do it.. Though fortunately I didnt tip over when being taught how to balance at the gate, foolishly, i had put brand new SPD pedals on the bike and cranked them down TIGHT...it could have been really bad but I prayed and didnt make too much of a fool of myself.

Yeah, he was a great coach...very patient with me and my son and I felt like i learned a lot and i know it was the right thing for us to do being newbies. My sone is way more confident now which is good to see.

Here are a couple pics of the eBay find...other than slight rub marks on the cranks arms, slightly used saddle and rear brake, the bike looked brand new and many of the parts are brand new! I was shocked to be honest...and to top it off, the seller included brand new Troy Lee Gran Prix pants and jersey???? I have no idea why??? He must know he is guilting me in to now buying tons of stuff from him as well! They fit perfect too!

Paid $400 total...frame felt great and coming from a 29er i was worried i would feel really awkward but it was great. Made in the USA steel frame, with integrated seatpost clamp, helps my snob status too :) so many new parts and I couldnt be happier. Weight was a respectable 24.06 lbs...couple pics...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

not sure its bling...heck, at $400 complete, that less than half the price of a MTB wheelset! Nevertheless, I LOVE the bike and consider it my best deal ever. I was shocked how nice it looked (to me) and dont feel any pressure to add bling

11. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

The photos you took look WAY better than the ebay photos the seller had! Right on! :clap::clap:

12. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    thanks...yeah, i think he did himself a disservice by those HORRIBLE pics but it was to my advantage ultimately :)

Not that I am worried at this point nor could i even tell yet, but is 24 lbs even a decent weight? In looking at many of the stock 24" builds out there, it doesnt seem heavy to me, especially with a steel frame, no? I am sure with Al frame and carbon fork, blinged out wheels they get pretty light but still...

13. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Most stock build bikes are 25-27 pounds, so 24 is good! I think my cruiser is just under 23, if I remember correctly.

14. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    thanks. shops scale said 24.06, my cheapie at home was about 24.3 but either way, i am very content.

15. Tmac

Tmac Lonewolf

moving cans from here to there
    I actually took this week off (to get my life back in order) so may be able to explore...just getting over shingles due to friggin stress and as of today the pain is bearable to where I need to get back on the bike. When in Bellflower??? (quote)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Glad to hear your feeling better.

The track is at Hollywood Sports Park and practice is from 5:30 to 7:30. Racing usually starts shortly after.

16. El Salt

El Salt Guest

Wow, Thomson, XTR... Fair amount of bling, even by your standards! Looks great Erik!