"Noob" Rim/Tire Advice.

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by JDS, Sep 21, 2010.

1. JDS

JDS New Member

General Manager
    So (after a lot of help from this forum, thanks!) I decided on & bought an 08 Specd. Enduro Pro and would possibly like to change it a little. After much research I've been able to decide on every component but the wheels/tires.

The previous owner set it up for XC/flat mild trails but I ride some medium DH drops/jumps as well. Wanted to change it a hair more DH/AM. It's got the stock DT X430's with a 2.4 Mutno. Raptor in front & a 2.1 Panrcr. FireXCpro rear. Was thinking I wanted to try 2.5 Minion DHF's front(3C) AND rear(60A) and maybe Azonic outlaw wheels. Seems like a good strong affordable wheel with great reviews.

So my general question is, is that an acceptable mix? Any other recommendations? I know the Outlaws are heavier but I'm not overly concerned with weight, just need to be able to pedal the thing to the top of the hill which I don't think will be a prob. as I'm not in a race to get to the top anyway.

Also, the 2.5 Minions are (I believe) actually 2.4. The Outlaws are (I believe) 32mm wide, that's not too wide for a 2.4 is it? Maybe 28mm - 30mm better? Could I possibly keep the DT's (24mm wide)? Heard their fairly fragile. And I've also read that the decision to run tubless or not should sometimes be based on the tire/rim combo itself. Just wondering if there's a better direction either way for that combo? Was thinking about trying tubeless.

Thanks for any info!