no more parking at cooks corner?

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by sir crashalot, Oct 31, 2012.

1. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    This morning i headed out to ride stt to old camp, and then back down the Luge. I havent been there in a while. When I got to cook's corner, all the parking lots had signs stating: "Parking for cooks corner customers only; all others will be towed". Needless to say, I then went elsewhere. Anyone know the story with this, how long have those signs been there, and is this a permanent deal? Now where can one park to hit stt/luge (besides going through whiting)? Thanks. Kinda wierd that the County purchased stt access last year for 2 million(?) and now theres no nearby parking for it.

2. Abui

Abui Active Member

Bike beta tester
    Buy something a get a receipt.

3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    I dont think theyre open at 730 am.

4. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    we parked at the sign by the tree toward the bike lot with the fence around it at 6:00 pm no problem at all, you might have a problem in the day or on the week end.

5. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    Signs have been up for over a week and there is another STR thread about it. It does not bother me for daytime rides because I normally start and end in Whitting Ranch. Night rides I guess I am just going to park along one of the turn outs on Santiago Road. I am surprised that Cooks put up with us parking there for so long. My guess is that it would have been to much trouble to get parking lot permit so here we are. I have a secret spot to park but I am not giving it up because there is only two spots to park there.

Dean

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    Thanks Dean, i didnt see the other thread. i know about the turnouts on Santiago but i know those can fill up quickly. Guess ill cross off stt/luge from the list of limited-time rides. one would think that the County would try to find some parking solution considering they dumped a bunch of money purchasing trail access there last year.

7. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    i just found the other thread, funny it was one I posted in cuz it was originally about someone getting harrased there. time to build a switcbacky trail that parallels cadillac, haha

8. Pilas

Pilas Member

If you don't mind a little warm up, you can always park in the shopping enter where Rock and Road is located. We used to do a weekly ride up to Old Camp, and that was our meeting spot. Besides, there are plenty of post ride refueling options (mulleady's pub is one of them...)

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

From what I hear, parking during the week is not a problem......parking on the weekends when they are busy, we should be parking in the fenced off area at the end.

10. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It was chained shut the other day.

Go ahead a risk getting towed, I don't mind finding other parking...getting towed is a pain in the ass and expensive. If I was to park there I would get permission from Cooks first.

11. proraptor

proraptor The Bikes & Brew Crew

Last time i was there they had the same signs in the gated area. Did they remove them?

12. no worries

no worries Member

Has anyone asked the dude in the RV? He'll tell you what's ok.

13. cmeride

cmeride Member

Is Rose Canyon illegal at night ? Cause that seems to be a better route leaving from the path...

14. mtbfan

mtbfan MTBFAN

If you leave from Rose Canyon, you will have to either go through O'Neil, which is also closed at night, or you need to ride up Live Oak and that seems pretty dangerous, especially at night. Otherwise, I think Rose Canyon is legal.

15. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    i was there yesterday morning, midweek. the no parking signs were everywhere. the fenced area (where i always parked in the past) also had the sign in front of it, and was gated shut. Besides, the Luge isnt worth risking a tow on a "should be ok?". I might simply call cooks and ask what the deal is. technically, since the sign actually says parking for cook's guests not customers, that can be interpereted as even if i buy something beforehand, if i stay parked there for several hours afterward while elsewhere, I am not a cooks corner guest at that time.

16. sir crashalot

sir crashalot Member

artist, picture framer
    What about going up to stt from rose canyon, up lower joplin? is it legal to access lower joplin from the end of road canyon, next to the juvy? Ive never been over there because Ive always heard that was a no go. is it an easier climb than cadillac? park at teh Path, go up that way to stt, down luge, back through oneill or live oak . at leat that way live oak is mostly downhill so you get through it quicker.

17. fos'l

fos'l Member

JRA
    Isn't it still possible to park in the neighborhood up the hill from Cook's and the road to the left (can't remember the name, but there's a park at the top)? The only liability is that you need to cross Santiago Canyon twice.

18. exrcyst

exrcyst Member

Like I said in the previous post, try Ridgeline, the left turn before Live Oak if you're coming from El Toro. There's always cars on that hill so I'm assuming it's okay to park there. Adds maybe a minute.

19. giantschwinn

giantschwinn Member

blending in

20. MohammedInABearSuit

MohammedInABearSuit Sticks and Stones...

Bummer really.
    I've been riding into and drinking at Cook's for about 20 years now. Back then the sight of a lycra clad roadie guzzling a mid-ride a beer at the bar was enough to draw some serious stares form the other "bikers".
    As Rodney King said: "Why can't we all just get along"