no more Irvine Open Access Days (COI)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports' started by tink bell, Jul 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
  2. JamR

JamR Moderator

Senior Planning & Field Operations Manager

True....the title of the post is misleading, because access days have not been eliminated. Bikers still have access to the area and can get back in for self-guided access with a simple modification of behaviors.

And everyone is still working on the plans for more seven-day connections and potentially self-guided bike days; however after more than a year and a half of signs, new signs, posts, personal contacts, etc.......the constant interruption to the restoration sites is being taken very seriously. And unfortunately since the location of the sites typically require a minimum 8 to 11 mile hike round-trip to access.....the predominant group that is in those area are bikers.

It really is as simple at that.

Just read and pay attention to the signs, stay out of the restoration areas, and stay out of the area at night and everything will calm down.

Bikers truly do have control over this if they choose to follow a few simple rules.

Again....the area has steadily increased access since 2005 and everything was being monitored, managed, and relayed in the annual reports as is required.

It just got steadily more and more out of hand since the incorporation of self-guided biking and the City was required to reel it back in, and all of these steps (including either the success or failure) will be reported to the wildlife agencies in the end of year NROC/NCCP report.

3. dwrads

dwrads Member

There's nothing humorous about it.

While I don't expect the land managers to ever realize the extent of their hypocrisy, I don't feel obligated to reinforce their actions by agreeing with it.

If the COI wants to make trails and bridges that's fine by me. Just don't try and tell us that the goal of habitat protection is enhanced by those actions or that widening a existing trail then closing it the rest of us to reduce the impact makes any sense.

Also Jamr for all practical purposes the area is closed to most of us. So don't keep trying to tell us that it's open. I know that no one here is going to change your mind, but at least try to see the other points of view.

Nothing anyone here can say will make any difference but it still needs to be said.

DW

4. Patrick

Patrick Member

Real Estate Expert
    JamR, first I respect your positions and your well intentioned advocacy for the MTB community. But can you honestly say that a few random docent led rides is acceptable to MTB community?
    I’ve seen this movie before and I agree with you this is not proceeding towards a happy ending. However, I’ve seen the happy ending first hand: Boulder, Colorado. The trails there have received much more pressure and controversy than ours and there are no shortages of interest groups. How do they all get along? Simple: The City of Boulder and it’s Open Space and Mountain Parks Dept. is not held hostage, funded and run by a development company. There is a separation between church and state so to speak. Sensitive areas are opening up and the community follows the rules. Rules which include alternating days for hikers and bikers in the same trails, one way trails to discourage accidents and “Independent” Rangers and State Officials that will issue serious tickets and summons to violators. I lived there for nearly a decade and I can tell you its very different getting a non-negotiable misdemeanor trespassing and moving violation summons than a warning. None of this is possible with the smoke and mirrors and the conflict of interests that we’re dealing with here. It’s not rocket science and the proven models are already in place. Land managers, IMBA, Sierra Club, Park Rangers, all over the country can get it done and done well if they we’re ALLOWED to really implement a fair sustainable shared trail access system with the undue influence “supporters.” If we’re all under the impression that this is public land, we need to look a little deeper.

5. bajaguy

bajaguy Member

I sell cups.
    Whats the reasoning for the advanced ride on Saturday and intermediate on weekdays? I would be up for a intermediate ride but can't go at 8am on weekdays:-k because of thing called work. You can ride Saturday but who wants to ride 20+ miles. The schedule seems like its geared to deter any one from even making it out on the docent led rides. It is very frustrating to see this trail from my house and not be able to ride it when I want.

6. JamR

JamR Moderator

I agree with your points, and there are examples of great successes; but not all of the successes were achieved by issuing misdemeanor citations.

The only point I need to correct is that this property is owned and funded by the City of Irvine except for specific capital improvement funding that was part of the agreement when the area was dedicated.

The Accessible nature trail was part of that required funding.

This can work and access was being increased methodically and was heading towards better and more frequent self-guided access; plus more seven day access which is in the scheduled plan for the area. This does include the connection from Quail Hill up to Serrano Ridge, and the Connection from Bommer Canyon up to Ridge Park.

But these things all need to be done by the book and with all the proper approvals; and some people are just impatient and decide to make their own rules.

There are extremes on both sides and I can tell you that there are people who want to see all recreation out of the area, and others like some here who want full access to every area at all times.

The City is heading for a balance.

Look at some of the other areas that already have seven day access and a ton of trails. Regardless of this full access......a lot of people still want more and in some areas, the trails just keep growing.

So where is the balance in those areas?

From what I keep hearing from many managers and land owners; if the history in O.C. was one of a little more restraint; many of the percieved restrictions might not exist. However too many people believe that if the area went full access, seven days per week; the unauthorized lines would quickly appear.

We just need a balance locally to help solve this issue, and a balanced access these areas.

I still believe this can happen, and people can enjoy better access.

Thanks!!

7. JamR

JamR Moderator

The programs are designed in a large part by suggestions and requests from the public, and the public programs department that sets up the schedule does listen to requests of the public and the Docents.

So just hit up the website on the Contact Us page, and shoot in your suggestions. All suggestions do go to the public programs department and to the City of Irvine.

A lot of the biking programs and times are directly due to the requests from bikers. This next access day for example was a direct result of the number of bikers who indicated that because of their work schedules, they could not attend the Saturday Rides. So the events now occur on Sunday also.

The weekday rides, and recently some evening rides have been added as a direct result of bikers requests.

Just put in your program suggestions and they will certainly be considered.

8. CalEpic

CalEpic member

At this point, I believe all the points have been made. Before the personal attacks increase and rehash of topics already mentioned, this thread is being closed.

If anyone has something relevant to add to this thread please pm me and I'll add it to the thread.

Craig
    STR Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.