NHL Hockey Thread... 2009/10

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dino Brown, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Thanks.....let me know when you want off that bandwagon.

If you want to deny that Betteman handed Sydney the Cup go ahead......but I have proof, in video, that proves that is exactly what he did.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUujhxH9Ams

2. Rkoa63

Rkoa63 Certified Newb

CPA
    This is very true. I keep forgetting how new he is to the NHL.

I think the Kings owe their fans a Stanley Cup appearance; 1993 was a longgggg time ago. I remember that life was put on hold in my house during the finals because my poor dad had been a season ticket holder forever and they had finally made it, only to fall....hard.

Maybe a cup appearance is too hopeful. How about just making the playoffs? And making it past the first round :)

3. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

You realize that Frolov had over 17 minutes on the ice right? He was also in the box for a 4 minute double minor that he couldnt play PK on as well. He is also a winger on a line that included the player that scored the most points in the preseason.

Frolov is such a streaky player when it comes to offense. He is white hot then goes cold, year in and year out. His one consistant play is defense. This guy is cut from the mold of a Jere Lehtinen or any other Selke winner. Hence the reason he is on the 3rd line and out there shutting players down. His line, the 3rd line, managed to shut down the Sharks top line to no even strength goals while putting up two goals (Simmonds goal and Jack Johnson).

You might as well get use to the fact that Frolov is not going to get PP minutes with Kopitar due to the fact that Smyth, who is better offensively, will be on that left wing.

4. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    You got me there. :)

5. evdog

evdog Member

I like watching the Hawks. Even thought they beat my team out in the playoffs they made up for it by knocking off the nuckleheads in the next round. If their goalie can do the job they'll probably be better this year, but what happens when all the big names become free agents next summer and they have no cap room? I see Brian Campbell at $7M gone, but even then it will be hard to keep the core of the team together. They may be good for years, but handcuffed by the cap like everyone else.

I'm liking the Flames this year. While they lost Cammalleri they still have a strong offence and their defence got a lot stronger with Buowmeester and more importantly new coaching staff. How many teams would love to have this group on D:

Buowmeester - Phaneuf
    Regehr - Sarich
    Giordano - Pardy (relatively new/unknown but they've been very solid)

The main thing is the coach will make them play smarter team defense all over the ice instead of flailing around in their own end like they used to do. If they can stick together and play smart they'll be hard to beat.

Will they win the cup? Teams are so even its hard to guess. In each conf would be Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh and Chicago, Calgary, Vancouver. I would put down Washington and Chicago for the cup.

Best player? For pure offensive ability it has to be Malkin or Ovechkin. More all-round i think it has to be Crosby, iginla or maybe zetterberg.

6. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman
    everyone forgets about getzlaf as an all around player. he will be the starting center for team canada this olympic, just like he was the west all star starting center. he has some grit that ovi, malkin, syd dont have.

7. puckhead888

puckhead888 New Member

The company line has always been that Frolov is good on D and that's why he plays on the 3rd line. Sorry, I don't buy it. The Kings biggest need is O. It's easier to find forwards that can play good D vs forwards that can play score. In his prime Lehtinen played with Modano as his centerman, not Guy Carboneau. Frolov is one of my favorite players, but not locking him up before his contract year was a big mistake by Lombardi/Anschultz. It does not bode well that Fro will be with the team by the end of the season. Anschultz will save the money so that he can bring over another washed up metrosexual soccer player from Europe.

8. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

The company and always????? Wrong....Lets go back a few season when he was on a white hot Dimetra - Conroy - line???? Is that 3rd line? He was bounced around between 1st and 2nd line last season. He rarely played with Zues. Now the Kings have depth, and he is right where he should be......again, you act like he is on a line with no talent. Zeus came to the Kings coming off knee surgery. Dont let season 1 fool you. He has plenty of talent.

Stop with the whole Anschultz thing. He is not intrested in hockey and his name shouldnt be brought up. The decision to keep or delete Frolov from the Kings line up will be soley on Deano and Frolov's consistant play.

Name the forwards, on the Kings, or that were available as UFA's that are better than Frolov on D.

9. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Here's a conspiracy theory for you. Maybe the Kings are keeping him on the shut down line to keep his offensive numbers down to try and sign him for cheap?

10. Dino Brown

Dino Brown Sir Smack-Alot

Matt- You may want to stop reading this thread for a few minutes...
    You're running out of paper bags! :lol:
    [​IMG]

With regard to Frolov...
    No player in Kings history has been the source of more frustration than good ole' Alex! #-o
    When he is hot- He's hot! When he's cold- You don't even know he is on the ice!

Just checked my blood pressure... 205! ](*,)

11. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

I am very passionate about my Kings and hockey.

You wont see me touching the Stanley Cup, let alone drinking from it. I didnt earn it, I didnt sweat and bleed for it. I sat in stands and cheered.

At least its good to know that someone is backing me up on Frolov and see's the same things I do instead of assuming that he should be on topline because he lead a team with very little scoring in goals last season.

12. OC rider

OC rider i need a motor

filmmaker, cameraman

damn right we wont, i was offered a once in a lifetime chance and jumped on it and had the best night of my life. your telling me you would have said no if you were offered the same opportunity. haha, i find that hard to believe. :beer:

13. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

I am a Kings fan......it wont happen.

14. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales
    6 more goals........another win for the Kings!

those lines are killing it.

15. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

^^^just got back from the rink - SCAHA Mite practice...and while I'm stoked the Kings won, you just killed my Tivo moment! Warning - SPOLIER ALERT THREAD hahaha :lol:

16. Stray_Bullit

Stray_Bullit The sustain..listen to it

Commercial Truck Driver, yes I do look into your c
    Kings PK is cr@p though... Nice win by the Kings...If I keep watching, maybe I will not get nervous when they are up by 4 goals?!?! Usually they blow leads like that. Only 3 games into the season and so far so good, in a shrug shoulders kinda way...

Matt, remind me of my optimism now later on during the season when I am so pissed off at them that I wanna break my TV!

GO KINGS!

17. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

I told you last season not to give up hope that this team was young had a lot of potential. I dont care what anyone says, Williams, is bad ass. That guy creates so many plays for Kopi and Smyth its unreal!

the PK was crap but a positive note is that they killed the last 2 penalties and may be able to ride that wave!

[​IMG]

18. Stray_Bullit

Thank you, Matt.... There is something I like about her but I can't put my finger on it...

I am DIGGING the Simm-Dogg, BTW.... Kind of reminds me of Deadmarsh. He has a mean streak and I like it!

19. Stray_Bullit

Kings on a big six game road trip...How many points do you think they will make in the next six games? I guess four...I hope I am wrong!

20. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales
    Kings on a 4 game win streak!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.