NHL Hockey Thread... 2009/10

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Dino Brown, Oct 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rkoa63

Rkoa63 Certified Newb

CPA
    I hope the Kings have a good season. I'm surrounded by Ducks fans at work, home, and with my friends. For once I would like to rub something in their faces. At least Kings fans are real and not bandwagon following, Suburban driving soccer moms(that should get a rise out of a few people on here :)

I think the Kings should be fine as long as Doughty stops passing the puck up the slot in their defensive zone...

Ersberg and Quick worry me a bit too.

2. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

The first openly gay players?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. ViLerocker

ViLerocker New Member

Student/ Golf Course Construction
    Home Page:
    What part of "THIS IS THE HAWKS YEAR!" doesn't anyone understand? The Blackhawks were good last year, but they're building a team that's going to win championships for years, this year being the first of many! Always nice when you've got talent and then steal away the pieces of other teams puzzles.

4. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

I think Quick will be fine...eventually. He is only has 50 NHL games under his belt, he will get there, as long as he can live up to his name.

5. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Questionable goaltending.

6. Zippo

Zippo Pow Wow!

Helene Elliott did a column on Quick last month. Here's an excerpt:

The Kings' latest offering to the goaltending gods is Jonathan Quick, who started last season with their Manchester farm team. He was promoted in December, sooner than management wanted but well after Jason LaBarbera's ineptitude became intolerable, and was generally solid in compiling a 21-18-2 record, 2.48 goals-against average and .914 save percentage in 44 games.
    ________

"If I look at a goalie's temperament, I look at Martin Brodeur and I go, 'Wow, that's perfect,' " Hextall said. "Here's a competitive guy who plays hard every night and cares, yet he doesn't let things bother him.

"That's the type of mentality that Quicker's got."

That helped Quick earn an invitation to the U.S. Olympic hockey team's summer orientation camp, where he made a strong case to be the third goaltender in Vancouver behind Ryan Miller and Tim Thomas.

"Jonathan Quick's the future of USA goaltending right now," Team USA Coach Ron Wilson said.

7. Drum n MTB

Drum n MTB Member

Well there ya go...Quick is good enough for me :lol:

8. slapshotz

slapshotz Member

i can't post here until the wings start their season. 0-2...not so good...

9. Good_ol'_slappy

Good_ol'_slappy aka SB

Yeah no doubt the Wings will have some trouble this year in the WC, let alone Central.

Would be great to see the Kings make it post-season.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales
    Best Red Wings pic ever......laughing Hudlers!

[​IMG]

11. guero

guero iFroth

Here we go boys, LETS GO FLYERS!!!

I'm bummed we acquired Pronger, I can promise you he will kill us with stupid penalties during critical moments of the game. Oh well, we were solid last year and we will continue to kick ass this year. Can't stop Jeff Carter and crew!!!!

EFF THE DUCKS!!!!!

[​IMG]

[youtube]IxSNseaJxFY[/youtube]

[youtube]1lZ1-ONjNEQ[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 7, 2009
  12. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Keith Primeau was such a great example of a great hockey player and captain. Loved his game.

13. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Philthy looks to be pretty good, again, this year. Ha, IMO Pronger was a good move. His dirty play will fit in quite nicely. Emery, on the other hand, don't know about that guy...

Best player in the league...Malkin

Kings need, and will not get, some more scoring punch for the second half of the season.

14. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales

Ovechkin is the best player in the league.

Regarding the Kings.....8 goals in the first two games isnt enough? The Kings are not going to be going into games like the Pens looking to Crosby and Malkin to carry the team. They have the most balanced scoring throughout the league.

Line 1

Smyth - Kopitar - Williams

Both Smyth and Williams have both had multiple 30 poal plus seasons. 2 goals against the Sharks

Purcell - Stoll - Brown

Not a premier line however this line is very responsible defensively and will probably pot 50 goals throughout the season. Purcell scored a goal against the Sharks.

Frolov - Handzus - Simmonds

This line is killing it. Not only did they shut down The Sharks top lines the whole game (sharks killed the kings on the pp) they were putting up points with goals by Simmonds and Frolov. This may be one of the best offensive / defensive lines. Frolov and Zues are beasts on the shut down.

Richardson - Lewis - Ivanans

4th line fodder.....however Ivanans will eat your children. Lewis is a rookie and as soon as our middleweight nut job Richard Clune heals his groin Richardson is on the bench leaving a awesome 4th.

O'Donnell - Doughty

Gritty D man with great leadership with a young player some have compared to Ray Bourque. With OD finishing out his suspension look to the Kings Blueline to get tougher against the Wild Thursday.

Green - Johnson

Johnson is coming into his own and scored a swett goal last night. Green is a monster.

Scuderi - Drewieske

You know Scuderi...former Pen....was leading the Pens in ice time during the cup run due to his shutdown ability. Drew is as solid as they come for a second year player. He also got his first NHL goal last night.

15. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    There fixed it for you. I really would love to see someone whoops his ass after all the cheap shit he did in the playoffs last year.

16. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Are we really putting up Kings stats from the first two games of the season? Wow! Take it easy over there. :)

Look, I would love to eat some crow on this one. Really. I'm a former Kings fan who would like to be drawn to the Staples Center to see the Kings play, not just to get there a couple of times a year to see (and root) for the team the Kings are playing that night. Like many, you just get sick and tired of the moves made by the management/ownership. Perhaps they've righted the ship, no?

Above all, I'm a fan of the game.

Smyth was a nice addition, added some grit that the Kings sorely lack. Note that I said the Kings needed some scoring help for the second half of the season, when the games become more pivotal and everyone picks up their game. Brown is one of my favorite players.

Kings D was good before, better now. No question.

Malkin >> Ovechkin

17. Big Guy

Big Guy New Member

Engineer
    Poor Kings, they almost won the cup once....
    [youtube]Y9ulEiSwx0w[/youtube]

It never gets old...
    Go Habs Go!

18. puckhead888

puckhead888 New Member

Even with the scoring outburst against the Guppies the Kings are going to have a hard time scoring goals again this season. Smyth has heart, but he's on the downside. I'm not convinced that Williams can regain his scoring touch from 2 seasons ago. I still can't understand why Frolov is playing on the 3rd line. He leads the team in goals last year with Zeus as his centerman. Pair Frolov w/Kopitar & with 1st PP unit and he could get 35-40 goals. He's also UFA next year and if the Kings are out of it by Dec/Jan, Anschultz will look at the $$$$$'s to re-sign him and trade him to a contender for young players that we won't see for another 2-4 years. Sorry about sounding pessimistic, but that happens when you follow this team for 20 years and they continually rip ya heart out.

19. Matt13

Matt13 Death From Above

Sales
    It's alot better than pretending to be Ms. Cleo and to know what is going to happen in the future.

Everyone knows that if you are in the hunt for the playoffs that in the second half of the season when the trade deadline nears you go get a soon to be free agent. The Kings are so stocked with young talent that they shouldnt have a problem getting even a great rental in Kovalchuck shoul Atlanta choose to move him.

So I read that you said second half.....I just ignored it.

Malkin rides Crosby's jock. Ovechkin carries a team.

20. lmnop

lmnop New Member

Engineering Geologist
    Aren't we all doing that in this thread? You know, the part about trying to figure out who will win the Cup.

Hey Matt, this is all in good fun and I'm not looking for an Internet pissing match. A little back and forth banter is good for the soul. I wish the Kings and their fans all the best this season.

How long before we get to hear how Cindy is "Buttman's" favorite and the Penguins were handed the Cup last year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.