Next Noob/Social Ride - Turnbull 5/28/11

Discussion in 'Trailhead' started by BikeThePlanet, May 8, 2011.

1. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    The topic of turnbull and newb riders has been discussed already in previous posts. It's not a great place to ride if you're looking for something easy. Some people have even said that you take newbs to turnbull if you hate them cause chances are they won't be back. I'm not in the best shape (just quit smoking and haven't done any cardio in 20+ years) but I still manage so I would imagine you guys can do this. I have no problem going the slowest riders speed and taking rests as needed so don't be deterred, come on out and have some fun.
    As far as cowtrail goes... I'm always down for that. The climb isn't THAT bad and the singletrack below it is really nice right now. Here's a snapshot from the other day to give you an idea what I'm talking about.
    tbmoo.JPG [​IMG]

tbmooelev.JPG

2. tandem

tandem New Member

+1 also on what 2wheel_lee said. 7th Ave can be intimidating because of the switchbacks both going down and going up.

msamusick,
    This route is a much easier climb out of Cow Trail than the usual climb back up to the start of Cow Trail.

3. Pato

Pato Stop stealing my thunder!

Computer/Networking nerd
    I think Cow Trail is doable by newbies IF they took it easy on the rest of the climb up and are not already worn out. The climb out of the trail that Lee mentions is a bit steep at the very end and will require a little bit of skills with balance to get up the last 5' or so. HAB is always an option.

If they are tired then the long climb out of Cow Trail will not be fun, especially if it's hot out. 7th St. is the only section of Turnbull with tree coverage.

We can always just ride and see how the majority feels at that point and add Cow Trail on if they are up for it.

Oh, and I agree with Lee. In my opinion, 7th St. loop is the steepest and hardest climb in Turnbull that I know of. The switchbacks on the climb out are fairly tight and steep as well. I always dread doing that loop. That's because I pretty much suck at climbing though.

4. Jotaro

Jotaro New Member

i love trees

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Many of these so-called noobs made it up to Blackstar to Beek's Place.......Turnbull shouldn't be a problem.

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

While Blackstar is a lot longer, it's not very steep. My wife has no problems with riding up Blackstar, but she does a lot of walking on the 7th street loop. Granted, she's not the sole measurement of ride difficulty, saying that may give those who've never ridden Turnbull an idea of what to expect.

Pato mentioned that the 7th street loop has shade, it also does not get any breeze...at all...and when it's hot, it seems like the same 100 flies are with you all the way to the top.

But personally, it's all good! I'll try to make this ride. If my wife joins, then it'll depend on how much of the group ride we do based on the route.

7. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    So it looks like I'll have some company hab'n it up 7th then, sweet!
    Tandem - What route are you referring to?

8. tandem

tandem New Member

I was referring to the route you posted where instead of climbing back up to the top of Cow Trail, we end up at Whittier College and ride up via Painter back to the cars.

We can HAB up 7th since it'll be much shorter than HAB up Cow Trail for sure :)

9. Samusick

Samusick OI!

Machinist
    Home Page:
    The singletrack (rollercoaster?) is WAY more fun than climbing back up cow trail.

10. Jotaro

Jotaro New Member

is there a link to the rsvp, i'm having trouble finding it

edit: nevermind i found it, called "Calendar"

11. Dakit

Dakit Member

Sales Manager
    I don't care what route/trails we ride. I will just follow the slowest rider...wait, I can't really follow myself, can I??? :confused:

12. blindman_22

blindman_22 HAB Crew President

computer stuff
    sandbagger

13. Banshee350

Banshee350 Member

Mechanic
    Wow, the sandbags are really flying about this ride lol :-k Maybe we can call it the Sandbagger/Social ride.

14. joyride153

joyride153 New Member

Last Sunday you rode pretty quick

make sure you bring your punch card this time, you only need 5 more to move up in Newbie levels

15. wReCkLeSs85

wReCkLeSs85 New Member

atleast ill have company :D

16. BikeThePlanet

BikeThePlanet Active Member

You obviously haven't ridden through those purple bastards. We are not talking overgrown mustard plants. We are talking half inch fracking thistles. I still have one I haven't been able to get out of my arm from Sycamore at CHSP. Those that have ridden through them know it is more than just riding through an "overgrown" trail.

As for the ride, I am not sure on this one, but I am aiming for the Loop the next day.

17. jasonmason

jasonmason inebriate savant

Geologist when I have to work, which is too often.
    "Fracking (also often referred to as hydraulic fracturing or hydrofracking) is a process in which a fluid is injected at high pressure into oil or methane gas deposits to fracture the rock above and release the liquid or gas below. The process and its aftermath has generated controversy because of harm to drinking water and health where it has been used, in Colorado and New Mexico, and more recently in expanded drilling plans in the Marcellus Shale in New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and other mid-Atlantic states."

Evidently now thistles are being used as well. Though I suppose en masse, they could be injected to do the same thing as water or gas. Maybe that's why there are so many - they're being farmed for some new form of fracking?

That's my theory, anyway.

18. cruzin 52s

cruzin 52s Member

Didn't seem so bad last week it was more of a problem with the rear derailer and casett loading up with chit,my girlfriend did it without complaining.

19. BikeThePlanet

Not a fan of BSG I take it?

20. BikeThePlanet

You guys dropped down Sycamore from Northridge at Carbon Canyon?