"Newb" Bike Buying Advice & Intro.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JDS, Sep 8, 2010.

1. JDS

JDS New Member

General Manager
    Hello everyone, the names Jonny I'm getting back into MBing after about 15 years. Boy have things changed! Need help choosing a bike. Looking for decent used sub-$2K starter bike.

Been researching bikes and components for the last month and a half and still a little confused but think I got the basics down. Think I need an XC-AM crossbreed. There's light-bumpy trails by my house w/decent uphill sections and I wouldn't mind throwing it off some med. jumps or urban drop off's once in a while. Could slowly upgrade crappy components too, just want to get started.

Getting ancy and have a couple days off this week, would like to maybe pull the trigger on a bike and start to ride. I know i'm pushing it trying to get a good bike for under $2K but here's a few that are for sale right now that might work, just needed a little guidance...can't decide.

2008 Giant Trance X2 (stock) $1500
    2008 Giant X1 (stock) $1800
    2007 Specialized Enduro Elite (stock) $1600
    2008 Specialized Enduro Elite SL ( XT front derlr. & crank, XO rear derlr. , 09 internals on both front and rear shocks) $1650

I think the Enduro SL is the best deal and I would be WAY lo-balling on some of the others...prices seem WAY too high. I don't see any of the bikes I've been watching over the past two months moving. Seems definitely like a buyers market.

Little confused about the 07 Enduro's "through the frame" shock and the 08's "pivot system"? Big difference? The 07 is listed as "FSR", is that right? Read the Maestro suspension is ok too?

Any suggestions, info or price opinions are appreciated. Thanks for reading my long post, lol!

2. Fewinhibitions

Fewinhibitions Always be a moving target

Creative Arts, Community Service, Politics
    Welcome!! And here's your first thanks for joining the asylum.

I was in your shoes about 2 years ago...

I suggest going out and riding as many bikes as you can to get a feel for what you like and don't like. Something I didnt do, but was most fortunate in buying a bike that I love to ride after only a couple of test rides 2 other bikes.

There are quite a few folks who, if given enough of a lead, will be more than happy to have you take a test ride with them or the STR group rides.

Check our own classifieds for a start and also hit the bike shops in your area. Also tell us where you are located and we can rec some shops for you.

The biggest supported shop on here is probably The Path in Tustin followed by http://www.jensonusa.com

There are more than a few good shops all over the place. At the opposite of specific bike shops, I got my bike on sale at Sport Chalet and scored a very good bike.

Most important, take your time and get the right fit/feel.

Again, welcome and enjoy!

3. JDS

JDS New Member

General Manager
    Thanks for the warm welcome.

I know the most ideal way to choose one is to ride a bunch but didn't really know how to accomplish that since i'm buying used. One of the first posts I read on here was saying you'll never know how the bike will really fit you till you take it out in the wild. Soooo, didn't think it would do a whole lot of good to test ride all the Craigslist bikes on the asphalt. Figured i'd just do as much homework as I can and roll the dice. The group ride is a great idea.

I was informed about The Path and Jenson by my only friend on here (thanks Kyle) and was going to try and go by both today...do they sell used bikes? Also gonna' go by and ride my homies a little.

I messaged a few people from the STR classifieds but got no response. Bikes must have been sold. Ads we're kinda' old too, not much movement in the classifieds. I forgot Sports Chalet sold bikes. There's one right by my house, I'll at least go by and see what they got.

I think the Trance or the Enduro at least fits my needs on paper and although I might regret it, I think i'm gonna' make some offers today unless someone chimes in with an overwhelming "DON'T DO IT!", lol. I'm very anxious to start riding. Got some cool trails right out my backdoor here in Riverside and it's killin' me! I got the bug!!:) I think that Enduro SL might be a good deal and fit, just waiting for a few responses to make a decision.

4. TMS

TMS New Member

Welcome. I think you can probalby find a pretty decent new bike for that will fit your budget.

5. jeff^d

jeff^d Active Member

Welcome. You really can't go wrong with an Enduro or a Trance as a starter bike. I bought my first full suspension bike (Kona Kikapu) used for $650, never test rode any others, and rode it/loved it for 2 years.

My two choices on your list would be the Enduro SL or Trance X1 (worth the extra $300 over the X2). If they are used, you'd want to make sure they're not obviously abused. Leaking fork/shock, rusty parts, no major scrapes/scratches and no cracks.

The other major component is fit. How tall are you and what's your inseam? I'm 5'9" and ride a medium frame (usually 17-18" size). You can modify fit somewhat with saddle height/position as well as your stem/handlebars, but starting with a wrong size frame is less than ideal.

6. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I don't recall if it was 2008, but check whether that's the year that the Enduro had the Specialized Future Shock Fork. I think it was a double crown and apparently had a lot of reliability issues.

I thought Specialized was discounting their remaining 2010 inventory, could be wrong, but check with a shop like The Path and see what kind of deal you could get on a 2010. You should be able to find an excellent used bike given your budget, but you might also find some quality new stuff on sale, too.

7. JDS

JDS New Member

General Manager
    I'm 5'9" 190lbs, only looking at mediums. Think that would be the best frame choice as well. I'll definitely check the shops before I buy the used one, see what 2010 they got left. Just have a feeling their still gonna' be pricey though.

Been scouring the Net for like two months and the used prices intrigue me. Out of the aprox. 20 bike owners on Craigslist i've sent e-mails to over the past two months not one bike has been sold. People are trying to get thousands for 5 to 10 year old bikes with what seems like way outdated frames/susp. I know these things were bank to begin with but I just don't see the logic in some of these prices. No wonder they don't sell...it definitely seems like a buyers market.

Any info on the 07 (through the frame) vs. the 08 (FSR or TSI) "Enduro" suspension?

8. dudevf1

dudevf1 New Member

I have ridden an Enduro for a few years. I have no complaints about the FSR rear suspension but I don't know much either. The FSR seems to provide pedal feedback if the sag isn't right, but that might be true for all suspension systems. Mine improved dramatically once I started setting sag properly. The suspension seems to stay active during braking, i.e., I don't recall the rear end ever bumping over rock or chunk, but I suppose if you ride properly you should be off the brakes then, too.

I think that hole through the frame for the shock was more of production cost issue as they went away from their traditional monocoque design for that frame. Now they have the X frame.

There are a number of quality looking used AM bikes on the STR classifieds, you should check those out. I think there is a 2010 Enduro for $2250.

9. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

10. TMS

TMS New Member

Check out "JAX" bikes website for their closeout sale bikes and their demo bikes for sale. They are currently showing A Trek Fuel EX8 for $1388 and a Gary Fisher HiFi for $999. I have never riden either of these bikes, but they appear to be good deals. The PATH probably has some good deals on their new Specialized and Kona bikes. I was at there sale over the weekend and they had a ton of bikes marked down.

11. Calisun

Calisun New Member

Jonny,

Welcome to the forum. I sent you a PM...

08 Enduro is great AM bike!!! It's great climber for AM bike. I will let you test out my 08 Enduro expert if you want to come to Fully Loop!