New...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Lisa, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Free Agent
    Hello, per the Webmaster I am starting a new thread to introduce myself to the "STR Community". :)

Mountain biking is a hobby I don't share with any of my friends, so I thought I'd sign up here and see if I might be able to catch up with some people to hit the trails with.

Once I figure out how to manage my profile on this site, I'll look forward to meeting some of you!

2. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

welcome! we have a pretty diverse group of members here so i'm sure you'll find some people to ride with. where do you normally ride at?

3. TurboJared

TurboJared Overstimulated

Affiliate Program Manager
    Home Page:
    Welcome!

4. OMR

OMR Old Man Riding...

Realtor
    Yep... a pretty diverse group....

Welcome to the tribe!:welcome:

OMR.... 8)
    (uhhh, that would be Old man Riding)

5. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

wElcome!!:bang: OC dood here too!! I ride the Fullerton Loop most fo the time. lets ride some time. :beer:

6. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Welcome Lisa!

I know what you mean about friends. Although I do have a few riding friends, most of my long-time friends either don't ride or they've stopped riding for whatever reasons.

Although I'm relatively new on this site, I already knew a few people on this site who are really cool. After riding up at Southridge with nam (tkblazer) and chatting with other guys on this site, there really is a good group of people here.

I don't know your skill level, but if you are at beginner level and looking for other women to ride with, let me know. My girlfriend recently started riding, so we've been doing a few beginner rides here and there. Although her cardio isn't that good yet, she's doing well on technical stuff (well, Rock-it at Aliso, Gooseberry, and Slickrock Trail in Moab).

The Fullerton Loop is in my backyard (almost), so if you're ever in the area, shoot me a PM or post a ride.

7. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Free Agent
    Thanks for the Welcomes...

I usually ride around OC. Since I mostly ride alone I don't know too many trails. I usually stick around Whiting, Peter's, Santiago, El Morro, Aliso Woods, etc.

Thought if I got in on some group rides I can learn some more spots and get more familiar with the ones I presently ride. My internal compass sucks so I usually find a loop and stick with it rather than get lost... ;)

8. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

ShinKen, do you have a regular time/day that you ride the loop?

9. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

Usually after work around 4 or 5 Mondays and Wend. (sometimes Fridays too). but I try doing a few loops so the second lap will start around 6 or 630. I can go slow or semi fast pace. what ever, works for me. Just out to burn some and have some fun too.:beer:

10. allison

allison Active Member

Home Page:
    What! Get her on a DH/FR bike and sign her up for some races! It took me a really long time to get good at the technical stuff :D

Lisa - Welcome! I ride with a few women, and actually want to do a big group ride some time coming up at either San Juan or Noble (once the weather is better) and hope to get some more chicas out there.

My hubby and I ride in San Diego a lot, but we also go to OC for some diversity.

11. Lisa

Lisa New Member

Free Agent
    That would be great. I'm still getting a handle on all this threading/messaging (not used to it!), but I will definitely be checking in on group rides and invites, etc. Feel free to message when you head out there!

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

She started out riding my 9 speed dirt jumping bike. After riding the Fully Loop once, we went to Gooseberry and then the Slickrock Trail at Moab. Since I happen to meet up with a couple other friends, she was "forced" to ride the black diamond stuff at Gooseberry. She did great - walked what she couldn't and crashed what she could...or was that the other way around?

I just put together an Intense UZZI SLX for her with a bunch of spare parts, so that's a damn good FR bike for her! With older CrossMax wheels and a bunch of XTR goodies, it's still pretty light, too.

She was surprised how smooth Rock-it was at Aliso. And she also enjoyed having a full range of gears, although she could use them most of the way up Cholla. In time. She seems to like the challenges, and isn't too afraid of failure (on her first dirt bike ride, she felt much better after getting her first crash out of the way).

She's been with me to Southridge once on the DJ bike, and rode some of the trail; now she needs to ride the SLX up there. :)

After a couple more rides on the SLX, and I think she'll be ready to shuttle SJT.

13. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

lemme know when you go dood :beer:

14. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Unfortunately, my gf isn't in shape to climb yet... since she likes to go downhill, I want to get her hooked on the fun aspects of downhill. After that, she'll have be able to earn it. :)

So you have a front derailleur on your Socom? What gear(s) are you running on the front of it?

15. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

yea yea i know... i'm still trying to get into shape after taking 2 months off the bike. climbing sucks with a sprained ankle doood. did sart couple weeks ago and my right calf was sore like a mofo

16. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

tk, I'll cut you some slack. I saw how bad your ankle looked when you crashed at Southridge a while ago. Is this that same injury, or is it one you picked up in your most recent cartwheel?

17. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

same injury, i reaggrevated it CLIMBING the 2nd B at the oaks #-o

socom's are really popular at the fontana races, you should race it dood

18. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Does this thread set a record for one of the fastest growing threads not related to anything BMX?

Yeah, it's a slow day at work for me today.

19. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    Welcome...
    what times can/do you ride...weekday/weeknite/weekends..

20. spookydave

spookydave A little dab will do me

so you built her bike out of your left over scraps eh? lol How did you pull that off?
    man I tried that and she wouldn't bite. Now she rolls (more like hangs in the garage) a POS gary fisher when she could have had my old Intense Tracer. Ah well, what do you do.

Welcome Lisa!