New wheels

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by miznaxxx, Feb 11, 2006.

1. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

I need some advice on new wheels for my hard-tail since I've become a roadie and haven't been keeping up with the mtb tech. I've decided to go all out since I'm planning on racing XC on them. Ideas???

2. TURNERob

TURNERob Get your own avatar idea

bum
    Max I just e-mailed you, but I was going to put up an ad in here on Monday for my Hope bulb hubs/717/819 rim combo. They are disc only though, so you'd have to get ride of those damn rim brakes. Let me know if you're interested or want more info.

3. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Whow! I was just bitching about my crappy hubs/wheelset. How much you asking for those Rob???

4. TURNERob

bum
    You've got a PM Lance ;)

5. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Hope bulbs are good hubs. The front can be converted to 20mm if you ever want a pike or fox 36.

I almost went with the 819's because they're 'natively' tubeless. And then almost went with the DT Swiss 5.1's but eventually settled on the DT Swiss 4.1 since they're lighter and they'll be plenty strong for my relative light weight (~150lbs).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 13, 2006
  6. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Dang, whats up mizniz?!?!? Give us a shout sometime meng. I just bought some new brakes, so, if you do buy Jackson's wheels, I can just let you have my old Hayes HFX 9's, they aren't the greatest, but they will be free because you have such a cute smile.

7. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Tanks for the offer. I don't think I'll go disc on my HT because I'm not that mechanically savvy. Rim brakes are about as savvy as I get.

Any word on the Mavic Crossland/crossmax (whatever)? Worth the money?

ps. by the looks of those huck pics you guys are way too gnarly for my skillz. I'm stickin w/ Steven to the F-Loop. He's got skillz.

8. TURNERob

bum
    I don't know how much you want to spend Max, but all of the Crossmax wheels are disc brake only if I'm not mistaken. The lower end Crossland's are not that great from what I've read. I have a set of Crossmax SL's on my Burner and they kick ass.....although they are very expensive. You should just buy my wheels and go disc brake man, I'll install them for you if you buy my wheels :) I've even got a set of Avid Mechanicals I would sell you for pretty cheap if you want them.....see that, no excuses now!

9. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Damn Gina! You drive a hard bargain. And you're still trying to get rid of those Avid mechanicals? I have to think about that. How much weight is that going to add with discs vs rim? (You know I'm a weight watcher)

I've heard the "CrossRide" are disc or rim.

10. TURNERob

bum
    Yes you would add weight with the Avid mechs, but you'd also be loosing weight with the wheels since the hubs are quite a bit lighter than yours. It would be hard to say how much you would gain but I don't think it would be more than half a pound. If money isn't an issue then you could spend a bit more and get some lighter hydro disk brakes and maybe even break even weight wise.

11. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    Have you ever ridden with disc brakes? You'll never go back to rim's once you try disc. ESPECIALLY if you ever want to ride in semi wet or muddy conditions.

Hey max, check out this site and do some addition if you want to compare weights.

12. ShinKen

ShinKen STR BUB!!

hey I ride the loop too but never see Jackson there!! i wonder if he's too fast for me to even see @ night!! :lol:

let me know if u ever wanna do a weekday night ride.:bang:

13. i am dino

i am dino Guest

Max doesn't ride mt. bikes anymore...regarding the weight issue, the size of your "pelotas" vs. everyone elses saves you alot of of weight as it is already. ;)

14. ECOdork

ECOdork (R.I.P.) Pope of Chili Town

State Biologist
    Not that I have the money for this as it is, but anyone have suggestions for a decent tubed wheelset (and hubs) somewheres around $250-275 built?

15. Epic_Mtn_Biker

Epic_Mtn_Biker New Member

my bike tends to go faster when i put less weight on it. :D

Race weight (riding 6 days a week, very hard to maintain): 155-160
    "riding alot" weight (when i'm riding 3-5 days a week): 175-180
    weekend warrior weight (right now): 185-195 :wave:

16. i am dino

i am dino Guest

I really need to ride more!!! My "weekend warrior" status sucks, hopefully when the time changes I can get up to Del Cerro at least once, maybe twice a week after work!
    [-o<

17. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

Dude, that's a big variance in off-season vs race weight. I was up around 170 after my wedding last year and now I'm at 160 trying to get down to 155 taking Dino's advice of losing the huevos.

As far as discs, I do prefer the performance of discs and need them when I try to keep up with Rob & Dino, but for XC riding I feel fine with rimmers.

So what's up with rim wheel suggestions?

18. TURNERob

bum
    You lost out man, you waited too long! j/k :p

Really though you're limiting your options by needing rims made for rim brakes. Your best option may be having some custom built by a reputable wheel builder....depending on how much you want to spend. Otherwise it looks like those Mavic Crossland's might be ok.....sort of mixed reviews but at your weight hopefully the rear hub won't explode!

19. miznaxxx

miznaxxx New Member

F! it!!! I'll take some cheap ass training wheels at this point. Anyone got some old reliable training wheels they're looking to get rid of relatively cheap.

20. kevinator

kevinator Staying hydrated

I've been racing & riding a pair of CrossMax ceramics with Avid Black Ops rim brakes since 2002 . Never had to true either wheel, or seen the ceramic chip off the braking surface. Started using UST tires then switched to non-UST w/Stans.
    If you're going with rim brakes, this is probably one of the best performing/lightest setups going. I've got a 22lb. Klein hardtail and these are more than fine for racing in the state series. Except for that sh*t-bog out at Bonelli, of course ha ha!!