New Webpage Look 6-9

Discussion in 'Website discussion' started by Sprockethead, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Sprockethead

Sprockethead S.T.U.P.I.D.A.S.S. Member

Network Admin
    George, you've done it again. You've made improvements. Thanks!

Can I make a suggestion? Put Recent Forum Topics on top, then Hotest Thread from Last Month below it. I think it flows better.

2. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    :lol: Actually only people who aren't logged in can see the changes. Surprised anyone here noticed them. Good catch!

I might play with the positioning of those two blocks that you mentioned. Maybe add another row of photos too.

Reason I have hottest topics above recent topics right now is mostly for SEO (search engine optimization) reasons. Also since only non-logged in people can see that, most of the audience for it will be people who aren't familiar with STR. They might want to see popular discussions first? I'm not entirely sure but will try this placement for a month or so.

Also was considering adding the hot topic thing for people who are logged in. But I figured a longer recent topics list would be more useful for them? :-k

Still working on injured list during free time and working on a hall of fame page for popular threads all time. It's actually 80% done but still debating on whether or not to add that one to the live site.

Here's a screenshot for those who are always logged in:

Attached Files:

3. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    imo, hot topics last month is not as important as recent forum topics, which seems to be the by-the-minute postings and where all the chatter is happening. not very user friendly to have to scroll down to get to that, when it can/should be upfront easily read and accessible.

hot topics last month seems like old news.... souldnt have a greater heirarchy.

4. LBmtb

LBmtb good times

software engineer
    I understand that you or anyone belonging to STR already would want to see the recent topics first (that's what I go after too). That's why when you're logged in you get the full 20 recent topics on the highest spot vs only 10 recent topics for other people.

Only people who aren't a part of STR (or simply not logged in) will see the hot topics above recent.

It's made to cater to two different audiences - those who are a part of STR and those new to it. Like I said before ... I'll try this way for about a month and then make a decision about what to go with as far as placement of things for people who aren't logged in.

5. m210

m210 New Member

art director, designer
    Home Page:
    got it. now i understand....