New trail in Bommer Canyon

Discussion in 'Trail Conditions' started by Pilas, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Pilas

Pilas Member

Does anybody know when the new Turtle Ridge Trail is scheduled to open? As you go up on West Fork, you can see the switchbacks and it looks like the trail is already built. I recall somebody saying that it was going to open in October, but I rode by the entrance a couple of days ago and is still closed.

2. dubjay

dubjay Having upgraditis is OK

Work for publisher of fashion magazines
    Home Page:
    Still closed as of yesterday too. Looks like somebody went to the trouble of adding additional tape to block off the entrance though.

3. David Zingery

David Zingery New Member

maybe it will open on ALL Access day this saturday Oct. 15, 2010

4. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    Does this trail look like a better climb or descent? I am always looking for some new loops in the area

5. dubjay

Home Page:
    Maybe a little of both. It's supposed to gain 700 ft over the first 2 miles (2.5 miles total?). I don't know about a loop opportunity though. It ends at some park in Turtle Ridge. I'm not sure if that connects into anything.

6. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I have passed it and thought it was going to take you up to Ridge Park. I am curious to give this trail a try when it opens up just to see where it ends.

7. dubjay

Home Page:
    Here's a map. As far as I can tell, somewhere in Turtle Ridge.

[​IMG]

8. rjcsocal

rjcsocal Member

Well, that will go up from West Fork to the end of the switch backs and go down (somewhat) to Turtle Ridge. I guess if you live there it will be nice to roll out onto a trail, other than that, call it an "extra credit" run.

9. TrailBlaza

TrailBlaza New Member

The fireroad going down is really fun though. You can catch insane air at a few spots on the descent.

10. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I often ride from Woodbridge area so this might add a little extra something.

11. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I ride by the closed sign once a week and wonder when it will open, it seems to be ready to ride?

Dean

12. Pilas

Pilas Member

The bottom part of the trail seems to be ready. I was hiking in the area on Sunday and I was trying to figure out if the upper part is built, but I could not see past the switchbacks.

13. Pilas

Pilas Member

Still closed. Rode the other trails on all access day, and there was a good number of riders. A lot fun trails in the area. Too bad some of them are not open on a daily basis. At least we get the chance to ride there once a month. I guess I like to see the glass half fulll...

14. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    I did not know it was open access on my loop until I saw a butt load of hikers coming up Ridge Trail. There was way too many folks out there for my liking and some of the hikers did not like getting passed. Maybe putting everyone on the trail once a month may cause conflicts and they should have a hiking day and a biking day until they open the park 7 days a week.

About Turtle Ridge it is complete they are waiting for some rain to bed it in. Did we not just have some rain? It also seem that there will be on way to get to the other side of the Toll Road. There is a service road from the top of Turtle Ridge to the wildlife underpass and Ridge Park but they have no plans to connect them....lame! Good if you live in Turtle Rock not so good if you live in Laguna.

Dean

15. Pilas

Pilas Member

Mixed experiences with the hikers on Saturday. Some of them were friendly and responded to my greetings. Some of them appeared to be annoyed, even though I made a point to give early notice that I was approaching and slowed down nearly to a stop when I passed them... Oh well, their problem. Is it kind of sad that people seem pissed off even when enjoying the outdoors...
    Turtle Ridge will be a nice addition for Irvine riders, especially for those of us who can ride from home. Just another place for a quick ride when time is short...

16. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Member

Vestal Watch
    I rode on Sunday and was crossing my fingers when I got to the bottom of the hill the trail would be open. Hopefully soon, I think this will make a good morning loop before work.

17. Pilas

Pilas Member

I wonder if the whole trail is already built. I was looking it up in Google earth and I could only see just past the switch backs. I'm also hoping that it opens soon.

18. shosan

shosan New Member

Wow, horrible map. Other the 73, it is nearly impossible to tell where this trail is located.

19. dubjay

Home Page:
    It's in Irvine - does that help you at all?

20. SHARE

SHARE New Member

Here's the word on the opening of the Turtle Ridge trail from the folks at the Irvine Ranch Conservancy.

Turtle Ridge Trail Work Sunday October 30 9:00 AM

"Join us for a morning in the Irvine Open Space as we continue the construction of the new Turtle Ridge trail.

You may be doing rock work, working on switchbacks, or whatever it takes as we build a new trail. No previous trail maintenance or construction experience necessary.....just the desire to work outdoors and get dirty!
    The trails we build are to the highest standards of sustainability while offering users incredible flow and climb. All tools, water and snacks will be provided.

Just bring gloves, sturdy work shoes or boots, long pants, sun protection, hat, and a willingness to sweat and get dirty."

They’re getting close to finishing this trail and they need some hands to finalize the tread, do some vegetation trimming and maybe rock work.

Sign up here for the trail work day: http://www.irlandmarks.org/activities/sign-up.aspx?id=8642

When the trail is opened it will be open from 7:00 AM to sunset.