New to STR, not to MTB

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Mikie Watson, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Mountain Bike Forum Owner
    Home Page:
    Hey,
    Like Ron (death rocker or steel ballz). I'm Mikie and don't have a killer nickname. I live in Lebec and probably one of the more northern members up the I-5. I'm a 90's XC'er who popped out of my time capsule still riding in the same gear on the same bike (Proflex 857) I used to do the Nationals and the California State Champs. and all the good ole Big Bear series stuff. Seems like so much has changed. I still like to hammer up as well as down.

McGill and Golden Eagle are my back yard along with lots of Frazier fire roads. Unfortunately, I work Friday, Saturday, and Sundays. Looking for guys to ride with Monday's through Thursdays. I look forward to meetin' some folks.

Mikie

2. zioncoming79

zioncoming79 Old Man Dead

a business bank SVP
    Welcome death roc...I mean Mikie! Post some pics of that Proflex!

3. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Proflex_857.jpg
    I know it's as old as I am, but I love this bike (sniff, sniff. Sorry, my eyes are watering)
    1997 Proflex 857:
    Answer Hyperlite Bars
    Risse Front and Rear Shocks
    TNT Titanium Bottom Bracket
    TNT Titanium Seat Post
    TNT Front and Rear Titanium Hubs (not shown)
    Shown is (get this) 1993 Ringle sealed bearing front hub on a specialized rim given to me by Insane Wayne (in 1993)
    Titanium railed Serfas ARC Saddle
    Kooka Cranks & Chain Rings
    Kooka Stem
    Chris King Aheadset
    Speed Play Titanium Pedals
    Magura Raceline Hydraulic Rim Brakes (painted Black and Red to hide the original Lime Green)
    Sun CR-17 Rims (not shown)
    SRAM Grip Shift with Goretex Cables
    Onza Bar Ends
    The newest addition:
    Wow! Tubeless Kenda's thanks to Stan's No Tubes

4. CalEpic

CalEpic member

Welcome to STR

5. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    Hi Mikie,
    I'm in a teacher in Lancaster so I do get some weekdays off but school just started! I'll post or p.m. you when I start getting some weekdays off. Just did Golden Eagle yesterday. Trail was damp from the T-storms but man is it overgrown! Hunters up there too!

6. allroy71

allroy71 Member

touching people
    Home Page:
    It's refreshing to see someone actually happy with an older bike! Upgradeitis hasn't set in!!

7. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks MadDog!
    I really look forward to riding with you. I hope you rode after I did some Trail Maintenance. I knocked out about a mile and a half at the bottom and another mile and a half a the top, below where it meets the first fire road crossing. I know there is some really bad sections after the first fire road crossing I'm going to get this year. Just give me a couple days heads up and I would love to ride.

~Mikie

Thanks Allroy71,
    That bike has been berry berry good to me! I still think it's one of the best full suspension climbers out there. Proflex was definetly ahead of it's time. I'm blessed to have been a part of it's history.

~Mikie

8. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Mikie Watson, you ol' dog you! I just caught this thread.
    I hated seeing your name on the Vet class lists back in '94-'95.
    After I had such a great season in '93, punks like you, Rebber, Airheart, etc., came along and kept me humbled.
    Like you, I'm still rockin' my old Lo-Fat Cycles jersey and my Klein from '94, with a couple of new upgrades.
    Unlike you, I don't like going up as much as I used to.
    My wife and I just went riding at Summit last week on our tandem. The last time I rode/raced there was back in '96, on the tandem.
    Still live in Lake Arrowhead, and if you take a trip to the San Bernardino mtns, let me know.
    A side note, I still see Gary Shuey a lot (damn roadie now) and your name STILL comes up in conversations about those good old days of racing XC.

Cheers,
    Jon Williams

9. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Jon Williams!!!
    Man! How are you?!?!?
    Cathy and I just got back from doing a 25 miler and thought I would just log on to see what was happening. I was hoping to run into guys like you! I am SO glad you took the time to post. I miss you guys! We should get a reuninion ride together and go out and try not to get hurt. Gary's a roadie? Can you say fag on these things? Probably not. Just got back on my bike the beginning of this year after about 10 years off. I went to a couple of the Kenda Cup races and did beginner, can you believe it? Saw Larry Longo and we got caught up. Larry hasn't changed one bit. I have Mondays thru Thursdays every week that I could pop out your way and do a ride. I work Friday thru Sunday at Northrop in Palmdale. I still live in Lebec. Dude! We got to get together befor the weather turn ugly... Let me know.

~Mikie

10. genusmtbkr5

genusmtbkr5 STR Moderator

Lead Aircraft Mechanic for Major Airline at LAX
    Welcome to STR. I've ridden Golden Eagle with jeffj. Really fun trail. Your work out there is much appreciated.

11. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks genusmtbkr5,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I put two solid days in on Golden Eagle. I really appreciate it! It is a great trail. Look forward to riding with you some time.

Sincerely,
    ~Mikie

12. brparts

brparts Member

Retired
    Hi Mikie
    welcome from San Mateo. a little north of you. if you don't mind old and slow, if you head this way let me know.:welcome::welcome::wave:

13. jeffj

jeffj Bloated Mountain B'hiker

Bloated Mountain Biker
    Northrop (Hawthorne) refugee myself (1978-1993). I'm just down the slab a ways in Castaic. We did some trimming on GE earlier this summer, but it's crazy how fast it grows back. Just the same, I'm up for another trail work/ride on GE. It's worth it to keep that gem in good riding condition.

Some of us in the area hang out here: http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/groups/scv-dirtbags.html

We ride in Castaic most weekday evenings if you feel like heading down the hill sometime.

Don't be shy.

Daddy Dirtbag

14. Maddog

Maddog New Member

P.E. Teacher
    I did notice that some work had been done! Thanks! Let me know when you work on it again and I'll hack some brush too!

15. ladera Dave

ladera Dave New Member

Millwork project manager
    Welcome from Ladera Ranch, I am near the San Yuan trail. Love your trails up there.

16. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Big Daddy Dirt Bag!
    I think I'll take you up on the rides in Santa Clarita. Man, it is really lonely living where I live and working the weekends. I'm getting ready to ride up McGill Trail and then down by myself in a few minutes and sure wish I had someone to ride with. I joined the Forum to try and find some guys to ride with during the week. It's nice to start getting some responses. Is there a schedule of sorts?

~Mikie

17. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Ladera Dave,
    Never been in that area. I think you can count on me stopping by sometime. Thanks!!

~Mikie

18. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    LMAO!

I give him grief about his love for one piece bib overalls (or do they call them racing suits?) ALL the time.
    Of course, the big problem is that he is still incredibly fit and strong, and can kick my butt riding any bike.
    He does really well in the Masters 55+ class.

I would be happy to ride with you again anytime that we could get together, although...
    I do exemplify what I call the "Three O's" of mountain biking, Old, Overweight, & Out of Shape :)

Cheers
    Jon

19. Mikie Watson

Mikie Watson Member

Home Page:
    Hey Jon,
    That's the problem with roadies, you want to bash them cuz most of them are just so damn pretentious, yet; they are usually really strong climbers because all they do all day is pedal with no technical difficulties. I love to get them on a super technical singletrack and watch them flounder!

You can still tell Gary I think he is a Fag Roadie even though I'm sure he can kick both our asses on a climb!

In regards to the 3 O's. I used to ride to compete. Now I ride to enjoy. Man! There is a big diference. I actually (and don't make this public) will have "conversations" now while actually on a ride. You know, like commaraderie type stuff? I just got back from riding McGill Trail this morning and actually stopped and talked to some hikers! What the . . . .

No worries there. The racing daze are over for me. Now I just want to try and stay fit and start riding for the love of Mountain Biking.

I really hope we get a ride in together. We can even invite . . . . . . . . . Gary.

~Mikie

20. jcw

jcw New Member

yeah, I've got one
    Mikie, I did my first solo race in 15 years, this year at Rim Nordic.
    It was their Super D race, which at that race, is like a 4 mile XC course, with just age groups, no CAT 1, 2, 3, etc.
    I'm too chicken to race a real XC race, when guys like Airheart are racing CAT 1 still.
    I got worked by the two oldest racers there, as in beat by over a minute...

Anyway, I'm really just riding for fun again.
    You do know that if we invite......Gary, that he will have a "conversation" with us, while he kicks our asses on the climbs.
    That constant joke-cracking, aimless babble that he's capable of, while everyone else is just trying to breathe...