New Member of the broken clavicle Club

Discussion in 'Rider Down' started by roller62, Feb 26, 2010.

1. roller62

roller62 New Member

Enguyneer
    SO I guess I am a real cyclist now.:bang:
    Wish I had a better story to tell, one that features an awesome technical trail and an epic attempt to surmount a challenging obstacle. No, it was just me flying over my handlebars and slamming into the ground on well traveled, wide local trail that I probably have been on 50 times on a regular after work night ride.:-s

Anyway, after a fun trip to ER and passing out in the XRay room, I am home and on the shelf for 4-6 weeks. AT least it was a nice clean break right in the middle of the collarbone, and I don't have to face any surgery or major rehab, and pain is not too bad right now.

After poking through some of the other stories in the STR Hospital Wing, I have a question for those who are proponents of the figure 8 brace rather than the sling. I assume a figure 8 brace is something like this:
    http://www.drugsupplystore.com/servlet/the-1286/Figure-dsh-8-Design-Clavicle-Strap/Detail

My question(s) is(are) - can you put this contraption on by yourself (with said broken wing spar)? Or do you need someone to help you with it?

The other input people have on vicodin and ibuprophen use was helpful too. Thanks STR!

Ron in SD

2. volcomsteban

volcomsteban New Member

Shmo
    Damn Heal up bro.

3. Deadweight

Deadweight older, not much wiser.

Wow, that blows! Wishin you a speedy recovery!

4. mfoga

mfoga Intense Whore

Sorry, if they told you 4-6 weeks to be healed they lied. I have broken both of mine and neither were any where remotely close to being healed after 2 months. The first time I did a bad job of letting it heal I stopped wearing brace after 2-3 weeks and was back snowboarding (how i broke it) in less then 2 months only to find on a follow up around 2 months after breaking it there was nothing connecting the bones at all. I felt no pain and it didnt feel like it was moving but the x rays didnt lie it was still broken. This time ( just getting back) I kept the brace on for much longer (month - month and half). I had some healing after about 2 months. I did start riding a road bike after about month and half but didnt ride dirt for about 2 1/2 months. I would love to say its 100% but i dont think it is but I am back to riding but I am tentative since i dont want to fall on it in case it not 100% and could break easily. To put is on I would get as lose as i could but still be able to reach straps( i prefer to get the good arm side as close to as final position) the slide bad arm in then tighten it down. You dont want it pulling back on you shoulder just limiting you forward motion of your shoulder.

As for a figure 8 vs sling they use to only give figure 8 out but they found it wasnt any better for healing so they have gone back to slings. Some people hate figure 8 braces since they think they can uncomfortable but I will always get a figure 8 brace since it will allow you to use your arm a lot easier and arent uncomfortable once you get use to them. I have always taken my off and put it on by myself.

I wouldn't get the one you linked its uncomfortable as all hell, this one was much better
    http://www.dme-direct.com/hely-weber-clavicle-brace-splint-661/

Oh yeah i wouldnt step up a size like they say to be able to put it on yourself, I did and I had to cut over an inch of foam off to get tight enough.

5. Reedster

Reedster Active Member

Teacher
    I used the sling and found it to be pretty comfortable. I only used the sling for a week or two and then the Dr. told me I didn't need it. I wasn't snowboarding like MFOGA, so it didn't change my healing time. But I do agree that 4-6 weeks is probably optimistic.

Good luck with a speedy recovery.

~R

6. dirtyjeff

dirtyjeff The same, but different

REBAR? what?
    Damn! that hurts! healing vibes :wave:

7. TREE

TREE New Member

Hoping you have a speedy recovery.

8. Mike.the.Spike

Mike.the.Spike Member

I broke my collarbone in three places and the figure 8 sling worked miracles!

I sat at my desk (when I used to have a job) and wore the fig 8 brace and actually reared my shoulders as far back as I could tolerate—it seemed to really help to flatten out my collarbone. When I went into the ER, it was snapped so bad they were thinking they had to do surgery and use metal plates. My shoulder looked like a small pup-tent and it was disfigured and scared me. I thought the Dr. was saying in so many words that I would look like "Igor" from the front with a hunchback for a collarbone.

The figure 8 sling kicked ass! My Dr. was amazed and said "keep doing what your doing because the bone is healing beautifully". I was glad I used the fig 8 sling.

Dr. said no riding for 8 months at least because if I fell, the shoulder would NOT withstand the second fall and then he would have to go in surgically and use metal plates. I rode flat fire roads and cheated cause I couldn't stay off my bike but the risk wasn't worth it, I should have hiked more.

Good luck and heal quickly!

9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej Well-Known Member

Have to agree with the 4-6 weeks being very optimistic. When I broke mine, I got back on the bike around week 5.....light, flat, smooth, easy fire road at max, but mostly road. At week 6 tried to lift the front tire up and over a curb....hurt pretty good. Was definately not ready. At 8 weeks I was able to ride the trails again, but was still taking it easy. Didn't get back into feeling like the old me for close to 12 weeks.

Good news, I hear that the more times you break your colarbone, the less it hurts and the more you can do while it heals.

10. roller62

roller62 New Member

Enguyneer
    Thanks for the advice

I thought 6 weeks sounded too good to be true. my friend separated his shoulder going OTB on Black Mtn and he didn't ride dirt for nearly six months.

I'm gonna call my regular doc next week and get his recommendation on the braces.
    Guess i should start planning the hikes i want to take in the coming months.

Ron in SD

11. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    yep, more than 6 weeks, took me about three months. Then again my break was odd and broken in three places.

12. Cavemandave

Cavemandave New Member

Welcome to the club! I have broken both my clavicle and separated my shoulder, 4th degree separation (different wrecks) I chose not to have surgery on either injury. The separation took much longer to get better. I was riding again in 4 weeks in both instances but the shoulder continued to be bothersom for close to a year. I have a great conversation lump on my shoulder!
    All in the name of fun;)

13. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    When I broke mine I was on my dirtbike riding off Baseline Rd(back in the day before houses cira 84) The nurse at the Urgent Care out there put on my harness and said to see "my" Dr the next day....that was THE most uncomfortable night of sleep ever....when I walked into my Ortho's office the nurse said come on in and let put this on you the right way....the girl in Rancho put it on backwards....it felt sooo much better the 2nd nite.....lol..mine broke and over lapped by 1"...the Ortho said no surgery and no need to attempt it since the risk of pinching a nerve or artery was tooo high...I have had ZERO problems w/ mine healing overlapped by 1" and it's been 25+yrs

anyway....you might be healed in 4-6 weeks but that is for day to day living....NOT riding...when we ask if we can ride again in that time they will ususally say yes b/c of their inexperience of our sport....

Healing Vibes

14. El Rey

El Rey New Member

bookbinder
    broke my arm in dec. and its only 30% healed so at least another month before I can ride but the doctor told me not to take Ibuprophen because it reduces the inflamation and the inflamation helps the healing so take something like norco or tylenol norco is alittle stronger than vicodin good luck

15. hill^billy

hill^billy KICK YOUR OWN A$$!.......

rug sucker
    I had no use in left arm due to major pain, and the doc told me not to use it so you probably aready figured it out you can't put the figure 8 on without help. Besides the adjustment for my sling was in the back.

16. N4th4n

N4th4n Its a purse..oookkkkkkaay

4 - 6 weeks......Yeah right !?!

I was told not to wear any compression type braces etc....I totally ignored this obviously. Now I have a 1" lump on my shoulder where the bones didn't join properly......its quite a nice party piece though !! Although it seams to creak a lot in the winter !!

17. 420

420 New Member

I've broken the collar bones about 5 times in all and 2 things come to mind:

1 - I love the figure 8 brace - for me it eased the pain and reduced the pain/shock of sudden/accidental bumping by completely stablizing the upper back. As an added bonus your posture gets significantly better after wearing it for a few weeks....;) You can definitely use the figure 8 without 3rd party help, its a bit of a contortion act, but completely do-able.

2- With a clean break you can begin exercising it (rubber bands) in a couple weeks and put pressure at 3. I've raced after 3 weeks, just don't crash and land on it!!!! That said the bone will not be fully healed and ready to take an impact for somewhere near 6 months!

DISCLAIMER: I am not a doctor and do not even play one on TV.

Good luck and welcome to the club!

18. dicky

dicky New Member

RAILROADER
    I separated my collar bone at the sternum. The figure 8 wasnt ideal because it caused the end of the collar bone to stick out. But the brace was great when I separated it at the shoulder. Needed help for the first few days then I was able to get it on myself. Good luck and let it heal.

19. Shu

Shu Active Member

Semi-Retired
    As you can see by everyones different experiences and different ways bones break....FOLLOW the instructions of the Dr's and NOT the advice of STR peeps.....we know what worked for OUR OWN bodies and injuries BUT your body is different....

The only advice that really you should listen to is DON'T RUSH back just b/c you're eager to ride....

20. Econoline

Econoline New Member

I broke my clavicle in mid-June in a roadbike fall (front tube blowout with a hard fall onto right shoulder). Doctor said no brace required, just hold the arm so nothing hurts.

I started back weight lifting, yoga, rock climbing in early September and felt better and stronger than ever.

Then I requested a followup x-ray in January just because I wanted to see the healed break. Surprise for me and the doctor, the break had not healed (non-union) and has about a 2mm gap. Doctor recommended 20 min/day on a bone growth stimulator and I'm currently doing that.

The good news is that since I have full functionality in the shoulder it doesn't really matter if the clavicle mends. The bone itself is supported by other tissues and ligaments. Doctor says no surgery will be necessary as a non-union isn't uncommon and isn't usually a problem.

What I am considering is some shoulder protection like 661 Subgear http://sixsixone.com/Catalog_661Bik...&product=7a92d628-84f8-409e-a218-6c4a9e160e01 to protect against another hard hit to the shoulder.