New Guy

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Punk Sanders, Jan 23, 2009.

1. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    :welcome::beer: and :drunk:

I'm 44 with two kids and, like you, I can't take too many unnecessary risks while riding my mountain bike. However, your riding can (and will) evolve without the need to grab "big air." Chances are the longer you ride, the greater your need to check out new places will be. Your bike skills will improve, particuarly riding with more accomplished riders, and technical trails will become increasingly manageable for you to ride :bang:

Chino Hills will probably remain your staple riding area since you live there but you'll meet people on STR, get invited to ride elsewhere in SoCal, and then there'll be no looking back! Before you know it, you'll be boarding a plane for Whistler ;)

Happy trails and welcome to the site :wave:

2. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

shipping/receiving clerk-no reality tv show deal y
    I think riding with more experienced riders is the key. I'm 6'3" and ride a x-large frame. Sometimes I feel like I'm on stilts. Steep descents and sharp turns are intimidating. I always dusted myself off after crashes and kept going, but on my last crash in Aug., I took a handlebar to the groin:eek: and I've been in a slump since. I look forward to riding with you guys/gals and plan to join one of the newb rides.

3. Lefty Kev

Lefty Kev Exiled Brit

small business owner
    quote: Punk Sanders...I think riding with more experienced riders is the key. I'm 6'3" and ride a x-large frame. Sometimes I feel like I'm on stilts. Steep descents and sharp turns are intimidating. I always dusted myself off after crashes and kept going, but on my last crash in Aug., I took a handlebar to the groin:eek: and I've been in a slump since. I look forward to riding with you guys/gals and plan to join one of the newb rides -- end quote.

Spills shake the confidence of even the most experienced rider. I remember when I first started riding, a couple of "over-the-bar" experiences had me thinking (briefly) that maybe the sport wasn't for me.

You're right not to throw yourself at trails that are out of your comfort zone (you've only got to check out youtube to see how dumb that is :lol:). However, you should get yourself a riding partner who is happy to give you pointers while you ride. A really good "how to" guide such as Mastering Mountain Bike Skills by local boy Brian Lopes is also highly recommended.

What I did was focus on improving one facet of my riding each time I went out. Breaking it down into manageable pieces is what worked for me. A year from now you'll be able to do things on auto pilot that fill you with trepidation right now.

We all accept that the odd hard crash is inevitable but take it from me, you will soon get past the type of mistakes that happen to us all at the start :bang:

4. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales
    Welcome to STR!! :welcome::welcome:
    Kloepo9 and I both live near the Bane Canyon gate.
    When the park opens we will have to do a ride.

5. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

My house backs up to Elinvar. A stones throw from the gate. Weather permitting I'll be there in the morning Feb. 1st.

6. dirtvert

dirtvert Whine on!

elementary school teacher
    welcome, young punk.

:beer:

7. KTMRDR

KTMRDR New Member

Project Manager
    Welcome from Brea. I live close the Chino Hills park. Let's set up a ride sometime.

8. Punk Sanders

Punk Sanders Member

I've never ridden the Brea end of the park. I attempted to ride telegraph rd in that direction but ran into a hill so steep and long I could barely push my bike up it. Called it a day after that. I'll wait for you at the bottom of that hill.:lol: Let's meet at your end and you can show me around.

9. abuck55

abuck55 Member

Sales

I live at the bottom of Altera Park. I ride through the park to the gate. I'll be there Feb. 1st. too.

10. JSD

JSD Member

order desk
    :welcome::welcome::wave: