New custom hard tail being built in Tustin

Discussion in 'The Workshop' started by thephat, Mar 8, 2009.

1. thephat

thephat Active Member

So, Duty and I are both working on a source for a One Point Five chromo head tube.

I am also going with a slacker static seat angle closer to 72.5.

About Head and seat angle changing equally with fork change - After a couple of days of wrestling with this concept, I now see the logical fallacy that I was hung up on in this area. I believed Lee right away, but it bothered me that I could not explain to myself where I had gone wrong in my thinking.

Great suggestions Lee! Thanks

2. Kid A

Kid A now with 40% more bacon

working 4 da man
    think it's been called a few things. My personal favorite...'scarface' aka the tani ventana

http://www.socaltrailriders.org/forum/workshop/13526-t-dubs-new-rig-2.html#post197907

either way both bikes are killa

3. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Although Duty knows this and should readjust the drawing, but with a slightly slacker seat tube angle, you'll need to make the top tube a little longer to keep the same front-center and reach (center of BB to center of the top of the head tube). I'd have to do the math to determine the difference, but it is noticeable.

4. Nagaredama

Nagaredama New Member

What ever happened with this?

5. thephat

thephat Active Member

Thanks for asking. Duty had an issue with his frame building Jig. He recently got a new one. During the down time, Duty got involved in a big project building bike racks for The Path. He built all of the bike displays that you see in the new shop, and now he is building the same type of rack in our warehouse for repair bike storage.

When he is done with the racks, we hope to pick this project back up.

On a side note, this may be a prototype for a run of frames that we would sell. I am trying to come up with a name for the new bike brand now. The frames would be made in a respected local facility that has been building great frames for years.

Yes, this is a tricky issue. The slacker seat angle makes the bike feel longer when in the saddle, but shorter when out of the saddle. Since I am changing the static number in order to get the weighted numbers closer to each other, this is less of an issue.

6. tortoise

tortoise Member

On a side note, this may be a prototype for a run of frames that we would sell. I am trying to come up with a name for the new bike brand now. The frames would be made in a respected local facility that has been building great frames for years.

Build the frames overseas, you will make a boat load more money;)

EdIt-> this was just a joke#-o

7. DISCO

DISCO Banned

Non-Profit Treasurer, Asset Valutation, Managment,
    Home Page:
    not gonna happen

Exchange rates and factors of production in Asia were not what they were in '03, plus QC is not always something I would put my name on.:lol:

I wish Moeller would torch me up a 57cm super therm bike with an integrated headset, BMX drops and a mid BB:bang:. As far as a name I would stick to something simple that would make an easily engraved head badge. Something like "3B" bikes to pay homage to that trio of local sisters we all know and love.#-o