Need new roadie rubber

Discussion in 'The Roadie Hangout' started by davidB, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cru jones

cru jones never say never

sales manager
    Yea. They are the rubino III's. These have exceeded my expectactions as they are not a "race" tire. My last set of tires were the 120 tpi rubino pro slicks and these roll just as fast and have a noticeable increase in treadlife. Had no problems with punctures with either set. I weigh 160 and inflate them at 120psi. Any of the tires mentioned in this post would be a significant improvement over the conti ultra sports.

2. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    Ask yourself why would you want tubes? I don't use them on my MTB, why on Earth would I want them on my road bike?

3. foofighter

foofighter Ride More Talk Less

4000 contis are great. sometimes probikekit has deals 2 for $70 shipped and no tax is great..

if you want a more comfy ride you can go 25c and get more cushion for yourself

4. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

Throw some tuffy liners in their and forget about flats. Conti 4000 are their higher performance. Gatorskins are more durable. Are you willing to pay for performance, that is, a tire that rides better and faster, but doesn't last as long, or would you rather sacrifice just a little speed and performance for some rubber that will last. We just got some new hardshell gatorskins with extra protection for the sidewalls. Run those with tuffies and forget flats. Keep in mind that tires are the worst place to add weight to a bike in terms of speed. For some folks durability far outweighs speed. Others will pay the price for expensive rubber that needs to be replaced more frequently. I run pricey rubber with tuffy liners and this works really well for me. I feel like I'm getting the best of both worlds as I rarely flat, but the higher performance rubber allows me to get to work 10 seconds faster.

The benefits of tubeless are not as pronounced for road as they are for mountain or even cross. There isn't as much of a benefit to lower tire pressures and it's not really that much lighter. The consequences of burping a tire on the road can potentially be more severe.

5. MTBMaven

MTBMaven This is Shangri La

GIS Coordinator
    Personally this seem like belt and suspenders to me. I have used Conti Gatorskins for years. I have had two flats since late 2006 and both of those were on different tires. Time will tell how many miles I get out of the new Conti GP4000 25mm I just got (if I can get around to installing).

6. speckledtrout

speckledtrout Active Member

actor
    I have Vittorio Rubinos. I like them a lot.

7. Endo Verendo

Endo Verendo sure

studio camera operator
    Home Page:
    How about measurable decreased rolling resistance, no pinch flats, less if any flatting, improved ride quality, braking to your hearts content on a long downhill on a hot day, tighter bead-rim seal so that burping (a burp is not the same as a blowout btw) especially with a sealant, would be rare and more ride-able than a tube blowout.

8. jrm

jrm New Member

Transportation Planner
    So far

ive had the best success here in the BA with panaracer tservs, conti 4000 4 seasons and IRC tandems.

9. Fritz White

Fritz White New Member

I've never pinch flatted a road tube in my life. I just don't run that low of tire pressure on my road bike. The decreased rolling resistance comes into play when you're riding rougher terrain with lower pressure. Lower pressure is beneficial on rougher surface, not so much on better road surfaces where it just equates to more rubber on the ground slowing you down. If you're riding cobbles then sure, you can argue the virtues of tubeless. Not that it doesn't have the potential to grow in it's application for road. Our Shimano rep (I like the tubeless Dura-Ace wheels BTW) mentioned his concern with the burping issue. I'm echoing that sentiment. I think you're feeling the benefits of lower tire pressures from tubeless on your MTB and trying to apply it to your road rig and it's not the same. Maybe it makes for a nice cushy ride, but as for lower rolling resistance it's not there unless you're riding the crappiest roads imaginable though perhaps it someday will be. I'd love for the technology to come along to make tubulars obsolete as that's an expensive, impractical set up that's still the fastest option out there for road, cross, and even MTB.

As for Gatorskins and tuffies, maybe the combination is redundant like belt and suspenders, but I'll take that over being caught on the side of the road with a flat tire and my shorts at my ankles.

10. Draheim18

Draheim18 Tow Master

Student, Lacrosse Coach
    Well I took some of your guys advice and ended up ordering a pair of the Continental Grand Prix 4000 tires because I took a good size chunk out of my tire when I had to skid to a stop at a light (wasn't paying attention #-o). They arrived yesterday and I threw them on last night. Went for a ride with them this morning, what a difference they made. They rolled so much better than my Specialized All Condition Pro II tires. And I only paid 40 bucks a piece for them :D

11. Red Hawk

Red Hawk New Member

goverment contractor, screenwriter (well hobbie un
    I only use Bontrager race x light. I have tried a bunch of other ones in the past and found the Bontragers to be the best, in part to the fact they are easy to take off and put on. I run 700x23c.

12. TKCastle

TKCastle New Member

Designer
    Continental Grand Prix 4000S 600+ miles with one flat and I commute sometimes thru pothole riddle downtown LA with no problems.

13. cjwally

cjwally I love techno.

Haven't seen the Michelin Krylion Carbon Pro's listed. Great tires...Check them out at the Path.

14. iamkaioken

iamkaioken New Member

Been pimpin' Panaracer RibMos and love them. My first set of serious road tires and they have held up marvelously. Parabolic profile, bead-to-bead belt, good mileage, can't lose.

15. GravityGear

GravityGear New Member

Bike Tech
    serfas secas. good tires. got the fps and come in steezy colors.