Need New Brakes

Discussion in 'The Adrenaline Factory' started by project_d, Jan 21, 2009.

1. davidB

davidB Active Member

Just installed some XT's today. There is a reason people love these things!

2. Bryguy17

Bryguy17 A little Shaggy

yes and no. from from what I've seen, the lever feel is very comparable between the two, as well as power, modulation, and durability.

weight, however, is the big difference. a little researching, and a complete setup of formula ONEs is roughly a half pound lighter than the 2009 saint setup (8" rotors on both wheels). that's a pretty solid improvement in weight IMO.

3. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Active Member

Auto inspection
    I used the elixers on a Demo Mongoose and I loved them. Great feel and stopping power.

4. Took

Took New Member

S/M Detailer
    Elixirs are sweet Beyond Bikes has a good deal on them

5. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    normally i would agree but no here, though its just my opinion of course....for a bike that would warrant "The One" or Saints, a half pound is trivial and a moot point. The difference between 38.5 and 38.0 lbs is irrelevant

6. dstepper

dstepper (R.I.P.) Over the hill

www.themostprogram.com owner
    Home Page:
    It seems that all the new brakes work well enough for me. My criteria then becomes will they be quite and how easy are the pads to change. Brake pads that come out from the top and can be switched out with the tire still on are way high on my list. But the biggest thing is brake squeal total fffs with my grove.

Dean

7. Fired Yo Momma

Fired Yo Momma Kenny Powers!!!

Classified
    I have the Avid Sevens and ever since I installed them they have been problems. The dang things squeal like a pig. I picked up some new organic pads and if that douse not fix them then hell with them and may end up picking up Shimano XTs.

8. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    yeah...my Avid Juicys really sucked....coincidence? dont know...i dont like Avids though but could have been a fluke but i dont care, plenty of other brakes i have not been unhappy with to take a risk again

9. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

How often do you have to change pads?

I'd think you'd now be looking for brakes where service parts, such as brake lines, are readily available. ;)

10. tkblazer

tkblazer Zack Attack

only problem i've had with my j7's is changing the pads.. the caliper pistons have this peg that sticks out of it and the pad has a hole on the back for the peg to sit in. however you have to try and push the pistons back in which can be a PITA sometimes and then try to pop the pads in without the spring moving around. it has taken me 1 minute to 30 min to change the freakin pads before! my old hopes were dope since they were held in with a pin..i think i may try elixers next since i like how the j7's felt braking wise. i don't have any problems with modulation or power

11. thephat

thephat Active Member

Not if a lot of the weight is near the axle like on a chunkier caliper. That is inertia working against your suspension.

12. 2wheel_lee

2wheel_lee Active Member

Even XTs can be noisy if you ride too slowly. #-o I have the metalic pads on my XTs, and they were silent for months. Then I did some very slow runs down Snow Summit (following somebody), and because I was on the brakes so much they became very noisy. However, after one good run at my normal pace they were back to normal.

Just the same, I had Juicy 7s on my trail bike, and they were quiet. I installed the same brakes and rotors onto my gf's bike, and they became noisy. Organic pads shut them up.

Moral of the story is that even the best brakes can be noisy under some riding conditions. So the real lesson to those who complain about squealing brakes - don't ride your brakes so much!

13. denmother

denmother Gone riding....

I just put the Stroker's on my M6 and I love them!!!! However, I can't remember which model, DOH!!! :?:

14. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    theory only...unless you show me data otherwise, its as easy for me (or easier) to argue that such a concern amounts to NOTHING on the trail, only in a physics 101 textbook

15. dstepper

Home Page:
    Pads normally last me 3-5 months. I have had no problems finding Formula Pads, they had they in Downieville and Sedona...both small bike stores. I carry around extra parts on roadtrips including a spare brake line. Worse scenario call The Path and have them overnight them to wherever I am.

16. thephat

thephat Active Member

Take a 100 g weight and a 200 g weight. Move each one up and down as rapidly as you can. The extra resistance to change in vector that you feel on the heavier weight represents resistance to your suspension moving.

Un sprung weight theory is pretty well established and proven.

17. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    ok....now lift 38 lbs and then lift 38.5 lbs...can you tell a difference? its best we agree to disagree but either way is fine with me

i would "assume" that a bike that is gonna run brakes like this wont actually be used for 24 hour solo events where perhaps theoretically or practically such a weight difference might actually matter...but what do i know

18. dstepper

Home Page:
    Yep what all you all said...

Attached Files:

19. FoShizzle

FoShizzle New Member

paper pusher
    indeed...funny thing is, nobody can be wrong since these are just opinions. some people live out of their physics 101 textbooks that they kept from junior college and that is fine, it aint wrong. but theory translating into practical differences is tough to measure. the bottom line is that disagreeing with me is fine as i will never be offended by people who choose to be wrong

20. 92se-r

92se-r Active Member

Electrical Engineer
    It's called unsprung weight. Race cars are obsessed with it. It's not a theory, it's fact.